Bring back classical music groups and acapella singers

Ragrandma

Have to say that I agree —bring back the strings! I would be delighted if they played in the MDR, it adds a bit of ambiance and class.

On Reflection last year in the Caribbean, the pool deck music was canned and way too loud. Had to move to the Solstice Deck to get some quiet, but even there you could hear the thumping.

Edited by saltydoge

I'm being told by some cruisers to try Oceana etc. which caters to an older crowd. I'm not yet ready to abandon Celebrity since I do enjoy sailing with them. I just wish I could enjoy my trips even more. I'm not opposed to the rock for those that enjoy it. My husband and I just don't like being bombarded with it since our preference is for clasical, folk, and the quiet pop of yesteryear. Too bad Celebrity overwhelming us with the other.

I'm being told by some cruisers to try Oceana etc. which caters to an older crowd. I'm not yet ready to abandon Celebrity since I do enjoy sailing with them. I just wish I could enjoy my trips even more. I'm not opposed to the rock for those that enjoy it. My husband and I just don't like being bombarded with it since our preference is for clasical, folk, and the quiet pop of yesteryear. Too bad Celebrity overwhelming us with the other.

Until you and others vote with your money and celebrity notices....don't expect any change.

Hey Orlando cruiser we met on the Viking Idi last year and we were both great fans of Celebrity, I agree with you entirely, Celebrity has lost their classy activities. We are going on another Viking river cruise in 2 weeks ( Neptune and Delling) in France. Any chance you will be there ?

No you can see from my sig that we are doing The Rhineland Discovery in June. Bruges - Amsterdam- Basel. That Grand European cruise was great - I'm glad to see you are doing another - are your friends going with you again? This year we spent our vacation money on a tour of Southern Italy - Rome - Naples - Taormina- Palermo. It was a great trip, but being on a ship after a day of touring is easier than moving from hotel to hotel.:)

Sue

Edited by Orlandocruiser

We do not like classical music groups and acapella singers but agree with the OP. We strongly believe there should be a variety of music for everyone.

I was on Constellation in April and Silhouette in May.there was classical music offered on both ships. Constellation had a wonderful Russian string trio that played throughout the ship and in the Theater on formal night as well as an afternoon concert. Several of the featured entertainers played Classical music as major segments of their programs on both ships. Every cruise is different in terms of entertainment. People are also quite different in their musical preferences. The A Cappela groups became quite boring to me. The programs were almost identical on all ships and to me quite repetitive. I've noticed that longer cruises appear to have more classical music. Perhaps this reflects the demographic that takes longer cruises. RCL, the parent company reports strong earnings and strong future bookings. The ships are leaving full and the stock is at a record price. My guess is that they are doing something right in the Miami office.

I was on Constellation in April and Silhouette in May.there was classical music offered on both ships. Constellation had a wonderful Russian string trio that played throughout the ship and in the Theater on formal night as well as an afternoon concert. Several of the featured entertainers played Classical music as major segments of their programs on both ships. Every cruise is different in terms of entertainment.

I just have to assume people aren't paying careful enough attention to the schedule in Celebrity Today or have made the assumption that since the Guitarist USED to be in martini bar, and now a DJ is there, that the guitarist is gone, when in reality he's at Al Baccio or Rendezvous Lounge, or Ensemble lounge, or the Aft bar.

As you have noted, I too have seen strings and classical music within the year. Another poster said guitarists were gone, I've had them too, and piano players.

Although I haven't seen acapella recently, another poster has, so I must have missed them in the schedule (not that I care about acapella in the least), but can confirm they were not in any listing of my recent Connie sailing.

We just came off of Silouette's 12 day cruise to the British Isles which started in Amsterdam. There was no classical music at all. I think I know the trio you mean. They are excellent as is the duo (viola and guitar) that was on the Equinox last year.

We just came off of Silouette's 12 day cruise to the British Isles which started in Amsterdam. There was no classical music at all. I think I know the trio you mean. They are excellent as is the duo (viola and guitar) that was on the Equinox last year.

Réka & Julien - Classical Duo

I was told by a CD about a years and a half ago that entertainment and onboard activities would be offered based on the type of cruise. More sea days requires a greater variety of activities and entertainment than a port intensive cruise. A 5 day cruise is quite different from a 10 day cruise. I'm slightly surprised that there was no classical music on your cruise. last year Celebrity, under the urging of Brooks Aron, agreed to work with a distinguished Conservatory in London to present new, gifted performers. We saw an absolutely wonderful young woman who played the flute.

We had a marvelous person come on board one evening for a flute concert. I'm not talking about Celebrity Theater performers. I am missing the small groups of acapella and strings that played in the smaller venues. It's now either a dj or some rock/party group and I'm looking for variety since there are many cruisers of ALL ages that enjoy them. .

So what if there have been previous threads about the shift in entertainment? If it's still an issue with enough of us, the more we bring it up the more likely they are to listen. Our first two Celebrity cruises had the acapella singers. Everywhere they performed it was mobbed, so it can't be a lack of passenger interest. I am encouraged that a couple of the above posters mentioned that they are back on some voyages.

OK, so to recap,

People have reported on recent cruises within this thread:

• Yes Acapella exisits
  • Yes, classical string music exists
  • Yes, guitars still exist
  • Yes, Piano player still exist

So not much really to ask of Celebrity to bring back, they never left. They may have changed locations, or frequency of play on ships, buy they are still here.

Wonder if mods can change title to "Thank's Celebrity for leaving music options in place!"

Edited by cle-guy

You are all candidates for a move up to Oceania - string quartet moves through the ship daily, including during afternoon tea. Of course, the fancy coffee drinks one poster enjoys are available at no extra charge.

I've said a few times in the past that Oceania has many of the things that many old time Celebrity cruisers wish for. Music, food, service, bridge, but it's going to cost much more.

To each his own. A little Classical music goes a long way with me, same for a string group and the Acapella groups. I listen a little then move on.

I would love to hear a good blues band or rock group, not just a cover band. But unless I go on one of the chartered cruises(at greatly inflated prices) I know that's not going to happen, so I take what they have and enjoy the things I like. If I want to hear what I like then I just stick in my earbuds and crank up my Ipod.

You are all candidates for a move up to Oceania - string quartet moves through the ship daily, including during afternoon tea. Of course, the fancy coffee drinks one poster enjoys are available at no extra charge.

I like string and classical however last October on the Oceania Marina their string quartet played Stairway to Heaven...not very well. I still like the Led Zeppelin version. I left. Guess they were trying to be something they weren't? :eek:

Edited by ChucktownSteve

On the whole I love Celebrity Cruises and very much look forward to my nextcruise even as I am on board enjoying my current one. However, I do have one medium sized annoyance with their corporate policy and that is the elimination of the classical music and acapella groups. I'm sure there were enough people on every cruise who sought this music out in the past to make it worth Celebrity's expense to include them. Celebrity used to cater to all muscial tastes. Relaxing on a cruise is just as important to many as dancing and enjoying more raucous sounds. Don't you agree? Is there a way to persuade Celebrity to reinstate them?

What is your persuasion? Where do you prefer to hear the acapella? Where do you prefer to hear the classical?

It can't be a specific musical genre across the entire ship 24/7, so where do*your* tastes lie while on board and how can you comminglewith others who have a genre they enjoy as well?

Ensemble lounge is our favorite spot but we also hung out wherever the groups we enjoy perform. We "co mingle" at Captain's Club events and with others at dinner and sometimes on shore excursions. We enjoy each other's company so it's not a huge issue. We go to the shows in Celebrity Theater and until they cancelled it we went to late night comedy. We don't go to the loud venues at all. I'm glad that people who enjoy them have them available and we would like the same opportunity.

My husband and I enjoy the ship time that way as well. I suppose we could start playing our own prerecoded music if we do it softly enough to avoid bothering others. There are many times when there is no music in a lounge for example or even on deck 3. It was too cold to sit at the pool on the last cruise and we were too busy anyway with shore excursions (British Isles) but on our winter cruise might make the time to actually enjoy the ship rather than go off all the time.

We enjoy sitting in the Cafe al Baccio and watching the a cappella groups perform. The string groups are more of a "in passing" or waiting in line thing. We also like jazz and a good dance band in one of the lounges after dinner. We get a balcony so we don't spend much time by the pool. But the important thing is to have a variety of choices to suit many different musical tastes.

Kathy