Flu Vaccine

Typhoon1

Then there are mavericks like me who never get flu shots. Horrors! Truth is that I appear to be one of those folks who just don't get the flu.....like in never and certainly not over the past 40 years when I last had whatever I had that the doctor thought might be flu. Present doctor says I'm not in a risk group, despite my advancing age, so given my medical history he doesn't see the need. A little of Russian roulette but that's me.....just living on the edge. :rolleyes::)

I never got the vaccine, either. When I turned 40 my physician convinced me it might be something to think about. I followed his advice with good result ever since.

Then there are mavericks like me who never get flu shots. Horrors! Truth is that I appear to be one of those folks who just don't get the flu.....like in never and certainly not over the past 40 years when I last had whatever I had that the doctor thought might be flu. Present doctor says I'm not in a risk group, despite my advancing age, so given my medical history he doesn't see the need. A little of Russian roulette but that's me.....just living on the edge. :rolleyes::)

As long as you aren't potentially putting others around you at risk, it is your choice to make. If you lived with chronically ill person, young child, pregnant woman, weak senior etc, I think you a responsible person who would consider their risk. :)

But, wishes for continued good health and avoidance of flu. :)

It would be worth paying OOP for an extra flu shot if yours will be worn off before your cruise. We just cruised on the Princess Star last week and there was a massive flu outbreak. They came on the loudspeaker a few times to ask people to seek out medical attention and offering tamiflu. We usually get ours early in the Fall so we weren't covered for it and 3 of the 4 in my family got it though it was a light case and luckily not until the very end so we didn't miss anything.

It would be worth paying OOP for an extra flu shot if yours will be worn off before your cruise. We just cruised on the Princess Star last week and there was a massive flu outbreak. They came on the loudspeaker a few times to ask people to seek out medical attention and offering tamiflu. We usually get ours early in the Fall so we weren't covered for it and 3 of the 4 in my family got it though it was a light case and luckily not until the very end so we didn't miss anything.

Seeing our seasons are reversed down-under, I wonder where you were sailing? Was it Australia/New Zealand? That is usually where our vaccine makers predict which form of flu will be the most occurring in the upcoming flu season.

Very sorry your family had to suffer flu during your cruise. Happy it wasn't too severe.

Edited by sail7seas

As long as you aren't potentially putting others around you at risk, it is your choice to make. If you lived with chronically ill person, young child, pregnant woman, weak senior etc, I think you a responsible person who would consider their risk. :)

But, wishes for continued good health and avoidance of flu. :)

Luckily I'm not around anybody with compromised health. I should say that my doctor stressed to me, based on 68 years of remarkably good health, that he actually recommended I not take the flu vaccine. Now the same is not true about over vaccines like shingles and pneumonia and I've had those. I hope I didn't come off as cavalier about putting other people at risk, it certainly wasn't my intention and I certainly would get the vaccine if I was in that situation.

Edited by Randyk47

You did not come off at all as cavalier and that is why I commented I know you are a responsible person. My post was more intended for others to think about such circumstances when deciding whether they wish to get the vaccine or not.

I have every confidence you are not endangering anyone and am sorry if my message was unclear.

Luckily I'm not around anybody with compromised health. I should stress that my doctor stressed to me, based on 68 years of remarkably good health, that he actually recommended I not take the flu vaccine. Now the same is not true about over vaccines like shingles and pneumonia and I've had those. I hope I didn't come off as cavalier about putting other people at risk, it certainly wasn't my intention.

Given the medical community's stance on the benefits of flu vaccines, particularly for those over 65, I'd probably be looking for a second opinion. Not saying he's wrong, but another assessment never hurts.

The Shingles Vaccine is now recommended at age 50. The benefit is you might still get shingles but if you do it's less likely to be as severe. I have actually sailed with three different people who got it while on a cruise ship. You never know.

Keith

If you have a compromised immune system, insurance will pay for the shingles shot if the MD recommends it. Maybe you thought you didn't have the chickenpox but you may have had a very slight case from people around you and it appeared later in life as shingles. If you can avoid shingles, get the shot as it is a very painful rash etc.

Boy, once you have the real flu (not a bad cold), you will understand why there is a shot for it. Same with pneumonia in your later yrs.

Very true that a very light case of chicken pox could go entirely undiagnosed. I 'barely' had a case and only because all the kids in the neighborhood experienced the outbreak, my doctor said I had it but were it not an outbreak at the time, it could have gone without barely a notice.

A very close friend of mine is recovering now from an awful case of shingles. They really suffered from it and is not anything I'd wish to suffer.

I never got the vaccine, either. When I turned 40 my physician convinced me it might be something to think about. I followed his advice with good result ever since.

Of course he did, it is a way for him to make more $.

It isn't like the shots are free or something he's paying for so you can get it. You don't think a concierge likes you, right?

People, see the racket for what it is, c'mon don't be so naive.

If the flu was truly so bad, we'd not be 7,000,000,000+. We'd be a planet filled with everything but people.

Of course he did, it is a way for him to make more $.

It isn't like the shots are free or something he's paying for so you can get it. You don't think a concierge likes you, right?

People, see the racket for what it is, c'mon don't be so naive.

If the flu was truly so bad, we'd not be 7,000,000,000+. We'd be a planet filled with everything but people.

Lord protect us from the anti-vaxxers! :rolleyes:

If you have a compromised immune system, insurance will pay for the shingles shot if the MD recommends it. Maybe you thought you didn't have the chickenpox but you may have had a very slight case from people around you and it appeared later in life as shingles. If you can avoid shingles, get the shot as it is a very painful rash etc.

Boy, once you have the real flu (not a bad cold), you will understand why there is a shot for it. Same with pneumonia in your later yrs.

Trust me -- and my mother -- and my old doctor -- I never even had a slight case of chicken pox.

I have had the flu bad several times. Thus We get the shots.

I've had the shot each year since 1989 and haven't had the flu since. I was in the first experimental polio vaccine test group. Never got that although my two older sisters did contract polio. Luckily they came through it with no after effects unlike a few other older family members.

As to it not being that bad, in October (YES ONLY ONE MONTH) 1918 more than 195,000 Americans died from the flu with more than 37,000 dead in New York during that same month. Worldwide totals can only be estimated due to many reasons, but they run from 50 to 100 million deaths before the pandemic ended.

Yup! I'll continue to get the flu shot..

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

From the CDCs website: "CDC feels it is important to convey the full burden of seasonal flu to the public. Seasonal flu is a serious disease that causes illness, hospitalizations, and deaths every year in the United States."

Statistics on the CDC website estimate up to 50,000 deaths (US) for influenza, most are children and elderly plus those with a compromised immune system. That's a lot of misery and loss, plus a lot of hospitalizations and the associated burden of cost that has to be shared by the general population (i.e., insurance pays much of the cost but we all pay the insurance companies).

DH and I are traveling starting 29 August into mid-November and we feel fortunate that we were able to get our flu shots just yesterday - our Walgreens had only the high-dose quadravalent serum available and didn't expect the new serum in until September. DH and I are on different insurance plans - my plan covered the shots; his plan is a Medicare Advantage plan and won't cover the shots until mid September so DH paid for it, with the Walgreens prescription discount plan it cost $21... a small price to pay for peace of mind for better health especially when abroad.

As for shingles, when I turned 60 I got the shot that week; I had shingles when I was 29 and even as a mild case it was so painful that I couldn't sleep, couldn't turn over at night in the bed and I never what to have anything to do with shingles again!

I'm so grateful to be living in an era when vaccines are so readily available. And as EMS responders in our rural area we are always concerned about getting exposed to contagens; if you get the flu you could infect a LOT of people including family, friends and co-works before you even know you have it, and then all the health care system workers who have to deal with you to keep you alive. It's very nasty stuff.

Please educate yourself about influenza and take preventative actions that are appropriate for your age group and state of health. [now stepping down from my soapbox....]

m--

Anyone who has REALLY.had the flu knows how bad it is - we're not talking head cold and tummy upset here. Flu is extremely serious.for many and it will put even the healthiest on your back for a week. Get the shot.

Indeed, flu kills thousands every year.

I once asked a doctor something re: Noro virus. While he answered my question, his remark after was 'don't worry about Noro. Not many people will ever die from that. Worry about Flu.

I had a 35 year old cousin, perfectly healthy, no risk factors die of the flu in Jan of 2014. He left behind a wife and 9 year old son. Please think about it. The vaccine costs $15 at Walgreens and takes about 15 minutes.

Phili