Thinking 3 in interior room was a mistake!

twinkle toes

We generally always book an interior and I have become quite comfortable with my 'cozy little cabin'. My husband and I have sailed with both our children and on occasion with just one of them. You have to schedule out who gets the bathroom first when getting ready for the evening, so if my DD is with us she goes first since she takes the longest. Now that my DD is older she has learned to pack more efficiently and doesn't take as much. A few years ago, she brought 13 pairs of shoes for a 7 night cruise and we were constanly stepping on and kicking around shoes. Although it is 'cozy' we just use the cabin for sleeping and getting ready. If there are 3 or 4 of us, I call it a 'bonding experience'. Most cruises now are just my DH and myself and I probably sound crazy, but I miss the good times in the 160 square feet with my family of 4.

My DH and I have booked many inside rooms and have never had a problem with space. We enjoy using the money saved for other on board activities. We do however agree with the others who posted your best bet is to have the room set up as two separate beds instead of the queen as it does seem to give you slightly more room for moving around.

Hope you have a great cruise.

I think you could get away with an inside for three if one was a small child. But, three adults is really pushing it...for 15 days. Also, consider the view of Hawaii you would miss not having the sliding door. Yes, the balcony may be small but the view is huge. If you could swing the additional cost, consider it.

We had almost that exact combination in a balcony once. Me DW Abd DD aged about 22, now we all get on great but was glad it was only 5 nights.

I used the gym showers most days.

And we spent a LOT less time in our cabin than we normally do.

Our ritual Nanna Nap became a bit of a problem too.

Back in the day my 3 gf & I would only book interior cabins. The bathroom situation was a pain with 4 girls getting ready. We would have to draw straws or make time schedules. When I married we started booking balcony. I love being able to open the door & get air Interior cabins are not terrible. You book what you can afford. You only use the room to,sleep so,it's not too bad. Enjoy !

[quote name='_kerry_']...Interior cabins are not terrible. You book what you can afford...[/QUOTE]

I agree. With that said, I would keep an eye out for promotions that might allow you to switch to 2 insides instead, greatly improving both the bathroom and privacy situations. An OV or balcony cabin will not improve either one, unless you book two of them.

Have a great cruise, however the cabin situation works out. The Hawaii RTs are one of my favorite itineraries!

Daughter is 22, and only 5'1" and barely 97 pounds. She would fit great in the upper, but I think I have dibs on that. I know it sounds weird, but I have always liked heights, and she would rather not have to deal with a ladder. Definitely I will be looking out for specials, or possibly trying to find someone to go along so we can get a second cabin.

[quote name='twinkle toes']So, I went back on the Princess site and looked to see what was available in Oceanview cabins. I paid 1309 each for inside and 399 for third person. Currently there is a oceanview obstructed available E420 on Grand where basically the bottom third of the window is obstructed by the flat top of one of the rescue type boats. This cabin is currently going for 1589 and 399. At 540 more, would you think this price would be worth it for a partial view and 8 square feet more, or would I be better waiting to see if there is an upsell or sale?[/QUOTE]

No absolutely not. I would stay away from Princess unless you move up to a balcony or Mini suite. When my boy's were young 10 and 13 we booked an obstructed ocean view on the Caribbean Princess. It was cramped and the window made no difference. Also Princess ships have a dressing area that gives you privacy, which in your case is a plus but it makes the room even smaller. We also sailed in balcony which was. Better because while the family was dressing for the day or for dinner you could escape to the balcony for extra space. I found my ocean view room on the Summit to be more spacious than any of the rooms I stayed in on Princess. Plus the showers are ridiculously small on Princess.

We've enjoyed over 50 cruises. One of our favorites was a last minute inside cabin with my wife and 2 teenage kids. We made it work. We had fun. We got to know each other.

We were on a cruise. Sure it was tight. But, WE WERE ON A CRUISE.

We first started sailing in interior cabins with our two kids when our son was 9 and daughter 12. They are now 20 and 23. Yep! It sure is cozy, but we're on a cruise and don't spend that much time in the cabin, we prefer to be out and about, so it works. We even get along better on a cruise than we sometimes do at home! Unfortunately, my son, at the moment, doesn't have any interest in cruising, I have faith he will at some point, change his mind. So in the mean time it's just my DH and myself and occassionally my DD. We have booked an occasional balcony or window cabin and found that the interior does us just fine. Book the least expensive and pocket the difference for whatever else.

[quote name='CatsareCool']We first started sailing in interior cabins with our two kids when our son was 9 and daughter 12. They are now 20 and 23. Yep! It sure is cozy, but we're on a cruise and don't spend that much time in the cabin, we prefer to be out and about, so it works. We even get along better on a cruise than we sometimes do at home! Unfortunately, my son, at the moment, doesn't have any interest in cruising, I have faith he will at some point, change his mind. So in the mean time it's just my DH and myself and occassionally my DD. We have booked an occasional balcony or window cabin and found that the interior does us just fine. Book the least expensive and pocket the difference for whatever else.[/QUOTE]

So, in your inside cabin, what are the sleeping arrangements with you, significant other, adult daughter, and adult son?
Does a separate bed come down from the ceiling? Can 2 adults sleep in the upper bed? Do you climb up and down on a metal or rope step ladder? Is there an attached handrail? Where is the ladder located once down? Is there enough headroom to sit up in the upper bed? And is the upper bed suitable for the elderly age 70-80's? Edited by Kingofcool1947

After reading all the posts I am:):):):):) regarding organization

Our honeymoon Caribbean cruise was in an inside 32 years ago...not much to select from in those days. Next were OVs again balconies were too cost prohibitive. But in the late 90/ 2000's it was balcony or better all the way until, the beginning of this year an inside....cruise B4 was a vista suite.... OMG I loved the inside why????? Because I could keep track of everything!!!!
In suites I didn't realize how I put just one cat of items in every draw and then I am running around trying to figure out where things were LOL

Those sea days on an Hawaiian cruise are ....what scream B A L C O N Y to me................. if one of you gets seasick...I don't need to say more.....circulation is the name of the game.....

Enjoy whatever you pick.... Edited by land lover

[quote name='Kingofcool1947']
Does a separate bed come down from the ceiling? [COLOR="Red"]Yes[/COLOR]

Can 2 adults sleep in the upper bed? [COLOR="red"]That would be very cozy in a twin bed.
[/COLOR]
Do you climb up and down on a metal or rope step ladder? [COLOR="red"]Metal[/COLOR]

Is there an attached handrail? [COLOR="red"]The bed has rail to keep one from falling out.[/COLOR]

Where is the ladder located once down? [COLOR="red"]Ours was at the foot. Some are on the side. We could move it.[/COLOR]

Is there enough headroom to sit up in the upper bed? [COLOR="red"]Not really.
[/COLOR]
And is the upper bed suitable for the elderly age 70-80's? [COLOR="red"]At 54, I can climb the ladder. I guess it depends on how agile one is.[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]

[/QUOTE]

Hope this helps.

[quote name='CatsareCool']We first started sailing in interior cabins with our two kids when our son was 9 and daughter 12. They are now 20 and 23. Yep! It sure is cozy, but we're on a cruise and don't spend that much time in the cabin, we prefer to be out and about, so it works. We even get along better on a cruise than we sometimes do at home! Unfortunately, my son, at the moment, doesn't have any interest in cruising, I have faith he will at some point, change his mind. So in the mean time it's just my DH and myself and occassionally my DD. We have booked an occasional balcony or window cabin and found that the interior does us just fine. Book the least expensive and pocket the difference for whatever else.[/quote]

My 3 boys lost interest in middle/high school......:( school, sports and friends...even a cruise to Tahiti didn't entice them..LOL....I did get 2 to go on the Xpedition after my DH said one Galapagos trip was enough....

Enjoy, L:)ri

As an older adult (mid 40s) I shared an inside Princess cabin with my parents. We had no problems at all.

I've done inside with 4 (3 (me, mom & sis) adults and 10 year old) on Carnival; 4 adults me; brother and 20something (at the time) son and his girl friend on NCL where the 4th bed ended up being a trundle. Was shocked but we worked it out.

I have great memories of each cruise. I so wish I could do them all again. But it isn't possible as my father passed 3 years ago & my sister a year and 1/2 ago. Go with what feels right for you. You will not regret it!

My mother and I still cruise usually insides. But last fall she fell in love with the Balcony as she spends more and more time in the cabin.

[quote name='Kingofcool1947']Does a separate bed come down from the ceiling? Can 2 adults sleep in the upper bed? [COLOR=Red][B][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]When we first got married we slept on a cot!!! This was before we had $$$, when we were in our early 20s and both of us weighed less than 150 pounds...ALL of that has changed.[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/quote]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Party Barbie said that the beds come down from the ceiling...not always. We made the mistake of not checking before booking one of our insides and the extra beds were attached to the wall.
We always have the bed arranged as a queen. In that configuration with the wall mounted beds they are what I lovingly call "head bangers".
Now I always check for # of occupants before I book.:eek:
[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='JF - retired RRT'][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Party Barbie said that the beds come down from the ceiling...not always. We made the mistake of not checking before booking one of our insides and the extra beds were attached to the wall.
We always have the bed arranged as a queen. In that configuration with the wall mounted beds they are what I lovingly call "head bangers".
Now I always check for # of occupants before I book.:eek:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

LOL, I was thinking of the Island Princess. Yes, the "headbangers" are on the Emerald and probably the Crown and Ruby too.

[quote name='partybarbie']LOL, I was thinking of the Island Princess. Yes, the "headbangers" are on the Emerald and probably the Crown and Ruby too.[/QUOTE]

Also on the Grand (and can't recall if the Star). Edited by cr8tiv1

[quote name='caribill']I think all the balcony cabins have them come down from the ceiling.

On the wall for most (if not all) inside and oceanview.[/QUOTE]

My understanding as well. If possible I try to avoid booking us into any hallway section that has an abundance of multi-bed cabins as I figure the general noise level might be higher than in sections where only two can be accommodated.