question about boarding ship

dsschmidt1995

We will be on the Magic in a few weeks, leaving for western Caribbean. What do we need to bring for documentation besides our normal Carnival paperwork and passport? Do we need a birth certificate as well?

I thought I had all my information in order but now I have read a few threads and I just want to clarify. Thanks

What do we need to bring for documentation besides our normal Carnival paperwork and passport? Do we need a birth certificate as well?

Passport trumps all other forms of ID. As stated, you do not need your birth certificate if you have a valid passport. You are good to go. Don't be second-guessing yourself now... most of us have done this many, many times.

Passport = good to go. :)

Passport trumps all other forms of ID. As stated, you do not need your birth certificate if you have a valid passport. You are good to go. Don't be second-guessing yourself now... most of us have done this many, many times.

Passport = good to go. :)

but I am so good at second guessing.. ;)

I am nervous thinking I am going to forget something. I still haven't received any paperwork from the travel agent for our flight, cruise, ect.

I am nervous thinking I am going to forget something. I still haven't received any paperwork from the travel agent for our flight, cruise, ect.

Most TAs today expect you to complete online check-in and print your cruise boarding passes and luggage tags yourself. And even the better ones have gone to "paperless ticketing" for flights for 20 years now. I would check with them to see if you should actually be expecting anything in the mail.

there is no more paper work from the cruise-- its all done online.

Did you fill our your online check in?

set up your account?

print your luggage tags?

Print out your boarding pass?

if you have a passport-- nothing else is needed.

I would take your drivers license into the port-- along with your sign and sail card

Most TAs today expect you to complete online check-in and print your cruise boarding passes and luggage tags yourself. And even the better ones have gone to "paperless ticketing" for flights for 20 years now. I would check with them to see if you should actually be expecting anything in the mail.

I agree with fishywood - Make sure you have flights, and they are correct flights.

Go online - Get your boarding passes (also make sure you are booked on the ship and have correct cabins)

Also, by going online, you can start planning shore excursions, dining times, show dates etc.

Fortunately, for our first cruise - we had a great T/A that kept in contact and made sure we were set to fly and board - until she came into the picture, I thought boarding a cruise ship was like checking into a Hilton Hotel :eek:

I haven't flown since 1983 when I was 9. :) I am old fashioned and like things in black and white on paper. Talk to TA today and they are sending everything out in mail today.TA did online boarding for our cruise already so I am guessing she printed them out and mailed. I have my account on carnival and seen where I could print the stuff but being first time at this I more comfortable having someone knowing what they are doing filling this out. We have an United flight, if she hasn't done so, must I go online and check in? How soon can I check in for our dlughts?

We have an United flight, if she hasn't done so, must I go online and check in? How soon can I check in for our dlughts?

Go to the United website and check in yourself, 24 hours prior to your flight. It's not difficult, and you really should get used to how things are done online now. I fully respect your old-school thinking and wanting to have something on paper, but almost everything is done online now. You can always print out confirmations of things you want to keep.

so when we are on the ship is there anyway to check in our flight home? I guess buying an Internet package will be on the things to do list.

You can ask on the Carnival board about internet pricing, or check the Carnival website. You might be able to log on and pay by the minute instead of buying a whole package. Alternatively, you can have someone from home log into United and check in for you (yes, really - you can get your boarding pass printed at the airport, no problem). :)

I downloaded the United app. I guess I will have to learn to trust technology. ;) so when we are on the ship is there anyway to check in our flight home? I guess buying an Internet package will be on the things to do list.

You should be able to check in for your flight through the United app, so you will not need an internet package because you'll be close enough to the US to get cell signal on your phone.

You can ask on the Carnival board about internet pricing, or check the Carnival website. You might be able to log on and pay by the minute instead of buying a whole package. Alternatively, you can have someone from home log into United and check in for you (yes, really - you can get your boarding pass printed at the airport, no problem). :)

Most all managers in the Internet Center are very helpful in helping you print our your boarding passes - go early before your flight to avoid a wait - some charge a nominal fee, but well worth it for the peace of mind and MIA is crazy enough, let alone, arriving without being checked-in.

PLUS! the last time I checked-in early, got FIRST CLASS seats for $60.00 each:D Now, I always go check in early with Credit Card in hand :cool:

Does anybody take their passports ashore in ports? We can never decide if we should or not (don't want to lose them)

We take our ship card and a Photo ID, some working ports require a photo ID for re-entry (i.e. Nassau) and it is not always listed in an obvious place in the dailies

Also....I take the information always listed on the Cruise Lines daily activity sheet showing how to contact the ship and/or port authority if there is a delay or emergency

Passports in safe until disembarkation day

Edited by SMerritt

there is no more paper work from the cruise-- its all done online.

Did you fill our your online check in?

set up your account?

print your luggage tags?

Print out your boarding pass?

if you have a passport-- nothing else is needed.

I would take your drivers license into the port-- along with your sign and sail card

Good advice from a veteran cruiser. As a long time business traveler let me offer some suggestions here too.

Air travel: get your reservation complete with flight number. You are on United, so seats are reserved. Call United and get seat assignments for your entire party. If not, then expect to have middle seats. Every flight I travel on is full or nearly full!

Cruise day: get your gang up early. Arrival early gives you a chance to be one of the first aboard. While there is no guarantees, it's worth the shot. I tell cruisers a 7 night cruise is really only a 6 day vacation if you arrive late. Getting there early means you can explore the ship, see your dining arrangements and correct them if needed and let everyone explore a little.

You are registered on Carnival, so as others have said download your boarding documents. I save them as a PDF file and email them to myself. We boarded in Boston with a screenshot of the documents to get us in the priority line. I left the printed copies on the counter at home. My wife and I got to the counter with an iPad and passports.

Finally, if you are the organizer for your group remember (and remind others) it's your vacation too. Don't be the go to person for things they need. I've done it poorly before and needed a vacation after the cruise.

Enjoy every minute at sea.

Edited by BallFour4

I make a couple of photo copies of my passport and put in luggage separate from my passport. I've read that if I lose your passport, the photo copy makes it easier to get a replacement.

As another poster said: Board early -- around 11am or so. On my first cruise I did not realize lunch (buffet) was included. Your cabin probably won't be ready until 1pm or later, so be prepared to tote your carry-on bags a while.

Are you driving to Galveston or flying? If driving, make parking reservations in advance. I use EZ Cruise. Some hotels/motels let you park for the week -- you'd then take a taxi to and from the ship. If flying, be sure to book your transfers in advance. It is over an hour from the Bush airport to the ship (and about 45 minutes from Hobby).

Edited by Jimnbigd

I haven't flown since 1983 when I was 9. :) I am old fashioned and like things in black and white on paper. Talk to TA today and they are sending everything out in mail today.TA did online boarding for our cruise already so I am guessing she printed them out and mailed. I have my account on carnival and seen where I could print the stuff but being first time at this I more comfortable having someone knowing what they are doing filling this out. We have an United flight, if she hasn't done so, must I go online and check in? How soon can I check in for our dlughts?

In some situations, particularly out-of-the-way distant lands reached only by small regional airlines, an old-fashioned paper ticket trumps an E- ticket for a variety of reasons, particularly when you need to change to a different carrier due to threatened connections.

Also, many premium and luxury lines still remain courteous and accommodating by providing a set of convenient paper documents (as well as electronic summaries). This includes sending you real luggage tags (similar to the self adhesive ones airlines use). No need to print or do anything else.

I make a couple of photo copies of my passport and put in luggage separate from my passport. I've read that if I lose your passport, the photo copy makes it easier to get a replacement.

As another poster said: Board early -- around 11am or so. On my first cruise I did not realize lunch (buffet) was included. Your cabin probably won't be ready until 1pm or later, so be prepared to tote your carry-on bags a while.

Are you driving to Galveston or flying? If driving, make parking reservations in advance. I use EZ Cruise. Some hotels/motels let you park for the week -- you'd then take a taxi to and from the ship. If flying, be sure to book your transfers in advance. It is over an hour from the Bush airport to the ship (and about 45 minutes from Hobby).

We are flying in and staying overnight in Houston, then taking the Carnival transfer to Galveston in the morning.

We have it all paid for, do we get tickets for the transfer or do we just show up at the airport with documents showing we paid for transfer?