Leaving From Tampa on RCCL

The chance of fog is the reason we are staying overnight one day after we get back just in case. We booked a room at Shades of Green at WDW and taking the Auto Train back to VA the day after. I've read too many reviews with fog delays. We would have to be in Sanford no later than 2 pm so we figured better safe than sorry and will take the train the next day instead.

As a former resident of the area, I can tell you the fog doesn't happen nearly as frequently as people seem to believe, but when it does happen, the entire channel is shut down and the line of waiting ships backs up, resulting in a cascade of marine delays. The channel has some very tight turns, not to mention they are very protective of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge for good reason.

If there is fog you probably wouldn't be good on either flight but as long as everything goes as planned (which it normally does) you'll be fine.

Most of the times I see fog issues earlier in the year when it's still cool out. Normally that ship has sailed by april when it looks like you're going. :D

Edited by thegima

As a former resident of the area, I can tell you the fog doesn't happen nearly as frequently as people seem to believe, but when it does happen, the entire channel is shut down and the line of waiting ships backs up, resulting in a cascade of marine delays. The channel has some very tight turns, not to mention they are very protective of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge for good reason.

We've done 10 cruises out of Tampa (all in December and March), and we've been delayed by fog 4 times - three on the way in, and one on the way out. 40% is a bit more than rarely if it happens to be on the cruise you're on.

Is it possible to make a 1 pm flight out of Tampa from a RCCL cruise? I usually take a much later flight but can save several hundred with a 1pm flight.

As the crow flies, there's only about 8 miles between the port and the airport, so as long as you get in at a reasonable time, you should be fine.

Is it possible to make a 1 pm flight out of Tampa from a RCCL cruise? I usually take a much later flight but can save several hundred with a 1pm flight.

I've never had a problem with debarking at Tampa. If you can carry your bags, you could utilize the self-assist debarkation which gets you off the ship before the guests who check their bags. That's what we tend to do, and we're usually off the ship and in the car by 8-8:30.

Just FYI for those that sail out of Tampa. The port has just released a multi-year master plan for revitalizing the port district and improving Tampa as a destination for pre and post cruise travel.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/port-tampa-bay-plan-would-dramatically-revitalize-channel-district.html