MDR Signature Dishes

retiredkid

I'm not sure which way you mean "find", so I guess I'll answer both interpretations---

The "always available" menu items have been integrated within the menu as a whole; they are no longer separated out. If you don't see something listed that you think should be available, just ask. If they have it prepared, you can have it served.

If you meant how did I like the always available items, I would say most of them are all right. The onion soup is good, but certainly not the best I have ever had. The chicken breast is too large a serving, and a little too underdone for my taste, but I ask for a small portion, and that it be well done.

Although it's not on the menu, you can also ask for mashed potatoes and carrots every night. Some other vegetables, such as green beans, are usually available, too.

My DH and I always ask for a plate of steamed vegetables with dinner, as we feel veggies are lacking on the MDR menu. We used to get a platter of them for the two of us, and there were often enough to share with tablemates.

On the last 2 voyages, they just put a wee bit of veggies on our separate plates. I don't think that veggies are so expensive that it would hurt them to give us what we ask for. We're happy with whatever is available, and a serving spoon full of veggies is nowhere near what we desire when we both say we want lots of them.

I dislike the integration of the "always available" into the rest of the menu. It smacks of a way to offer fewer choices by padding the daily specials with the regular items. BTW, "steamed vegetables" used to be listed, and it isn't anymore. I want side veggies, not just a vegan/vegetarian main course.

Edited by Nanner

My DH and I always ask for a plate of steamed vegetables with dinner, as we feel veggies are lacking on the MDR menu. We used to get a platter of them for the two of us, and there were often enough to share with tablemates.

On the last 2 voyages, they just put a wee bit of veggies on our separate plates. I don't think that veggies are so expensive that it would hurt them to give us what we ask for. We're happy with whatever is available, and a serving spoon full of veggies is nowhere near what we desire when we both say we want lots of them.

I dislike the integration of the "always available" into the rest of the menu. It smacks of a way to offer fewer choices by padding the daily specials with the regular items. BTW, "steamed vegetables" used to be listed, and it isn't anymore. I want side veggies, not just a vegan/vegetarian main course.

There are never enough veggies for me on a plate. The portion is very small.

Silly me. Thank you Ruth. I did actually mean how did you *like* them.

And thanks to all who replied.

I am happy to hear that I can order extra veggies as well as a few that may not even be listed on the menu. Hubby is a little pickier than I, and a little less adventurous, so in my mind, he may be having Caesar salad and chicken breast for a whole lotta nights:) I will remember and order his Well Done.

thanks again

Blending the always available options into one list on the menu each night leads some to believe that the menu is repetitive. I have heard folks say things like "if they offer French onion soup again tonight I think I will scream". I heard on the Eurodam in late April that they were planning to change the menus back to the old separate presentations - does anyone know if they have changed it back on any of the ships?

I actually appreciate the always available items, and find them not necessarily gourmet but good enough. I am lactose intolerant and allergic to some shellfish so these items make it easy for me to enjoy my dinners without having to ask for special consideration.

Have you ever tried asking for a "double" or "triple" portion of vegetables? Most stewards are quite accommodating.

Yes, I have and it's been honoured. I didn't say one word about it being difficult so I have no idea where this is coming from. I'm just stating the portion is small for veggies lovers.

Blending the always available options into one list on the menu each night leads some to believe that the menu is repetitive. I have heard folks say things like "if they offer French onion soup again tonight I think I will scream". I heard on the Eurodam in late April that they were planning to change the menus back to the old separate presentations - does anyone know if they have changed it back on any of the ships?

I actually appreciate the always available items, and find them not necessarily gourmet but good enough. I am lactose intolerant and allergic to some shellfish so these items make it easy for me to enjoy my dinners without having to ask for special consideration.

People are on a cruise ship and complain about onion soup. I'm not the most positive person in the world but I feel sorry for people that are so negative they have to complain about seeing the same soup every night. That's just sad.

Pretty much every night of a cruise I have Caesar salad with anchovies ( you have to request them). Most nights it's pretty darn tasty.

Yes, I have and it's been honoured. I didn't say one word about it being difficult so I have no idea where this is coming from. I'm just stating the portion is small for veggies lovers.

Oh please... no words were attributed to you and no attack was meant. I just stated you could ask for extra helpings after you said they were small. Period!

Oh please... no words were attributed to you and no attack was meant. I just stated you could ask for extra helpings after you said they were small. Period!

I was just clarifying. I posted a while back that all you get is a mouthful of veggies to be told I have a big mouth. I promptly had to post removed before someone says that didn't happen. To me that's not complimentary.

Do like the grilled salmon and the Caesar salad with anchovies! that is always available and also ask for extra veggies - but NOT carrots which seem to show up at least several times a week. Not a fan of the steak or chicken that is always available but a half order of the chicken cut up into the Caesar salad makes for a tasty lighter dinner

So far I have not heard anyone mention about changing the menus back to the old form.

I liked having the "available daily" items listed separately.

There were some cruises I ate the always available grilled salmon so many nights I was afraid I would start to swim upstream. Combining the always available with the selections for that night 'pads' the menu to make it look like much more food was being offered than was really the case. Sure it was offered but over and over and over. :)

On NCL, there is far more selection but, of course, far more restaurants in which to dine.

So far I have not heard anyone mention about changing the menus back to the old form.

It was switched back for our repositioning cruise in April, and our server said it was because there were so many Mariners onboard, and it was a longer cruise. Whatever the reason, there were lots of choices.

As do I. I'm at a loss to understand why they didn't leave well enough alone.

There were some cruises I ate the always available grilled salmon so many nights I was afraid I would start to swim upstream. Combining the always available with the selections for that night 'pads' the menu to make it look like much more food was being offered than was really the case. Sure it was offered but over and over and over. :)

On NCL, there is far more selection but, of course, far more restaurants in which to dine.

Me, too. I love their salmon and order it repeatedly.

On our recent cruise a lady at the next table asked for extra "greens" each night. One night she complained there wasn't enough. She was then served a huge extra plate of Broccoli and Beans each night. She rolled her eyes and made some disparaging remark to her table companions.

The waiters just can't win.