Ultimate Ship Tour worth it?

dcl1710

Took the UST on the Grand in April (Van/Hawaii rt). Was VERY interesting and worth every penny of the cost - top to bottom, side to side and stem to stern. With a goodie package delivered to our stateroom later that afternoon that was worth at least the cost of the tour.

...VTX-Al

I've heard that stated by others but I can't see how a robe (that may fit some but most likely won't fit me), a few pictures, etc. can cover $150 per person. The tour sounds interesting but how is it that people say the "gifts" are worth that much money in themselves?

I've heard that stated by others but I can't see how a robe (that may fit some but most likely won't fit me), a few pictures, etc. can cover $150 per person. The tour sounds interesting but how is it that people say the "gifts" are worth that much money in themselves?

The robe is priced at $95 in the boutique.

The pictures are about $20 each (x5) and frame is $30 in the store.

When was the last time anyone wore the chef's jacket?

The point isn't when the last time one wore the chef jacket; the point is having the chef jacket to wear. It's the factor of cool, where you can always don your chef jacket, go into the kitchen, and whip out a meal that would make an Iron Chef envious. Or so it seems to me. :D

The point isn't when the last time one wore the chef jacket; the point is having the chef jacket to wear. It's the factor of cool, where you can always don your chef jacket, go into the kitchen, and whip out a meal that would make an Iron Chef envious. Or so it seems to me. :D

Totally agree, spot on. Not to mention, it's a great novelty to pop on for a dinner party.:)

Thanks! I've never understood how they can think the same robe is going to fit a 5'2" 120 lb woman and a 6'4" 250 lb man. I'm kinda in the middle so if we can make the tour, I will just hope for the best!:)

Ahhhh! The one size fits all robe! Not the same thing, but the waffle robe they provide in our stateroom sometimes goes around me twice, so I've asked for a smaller robe when that happens. Then the steward brings me a robe that I couldn't cover myself with (must be for the 10 year old passengers). Had to ask for a third robe, which fit me "just right". Sort of like Goldilocks and the Three Bears!:D

The robe is priced at $95 in the boutique.

.......... AND, it's not one of the el-cheapo waffle robes that are handed out upon request in your cabin, but rather a high quality plush robe. In fact, I probably won't take the robe with me on my next cruise, simply because of the space it would take up in my luggage! Besides all of that, I took the UST because I wanted to see the inner workings of the ship - the "freebies" were just a bonus.

...VTX-Al

Edited by VTX-AL

Don't think that was the case this time as we spent a good 30 minutes with the Captain in the bridge as he explained so much for us. All in all I think it is a must see at least once.

I agree that it is a must see. We actually spent an hour on the bridge taking photos with the Captain and crew. I was alluding to the fact that we could not arrive too early for the bridge tour. We had to take a 10 minute detour before our arrival.

We did it on the Ruby two days ago. The letter clearly said no photographs, but one lady did whip out her cell phone a couple times for random pictures. "Can we take pictures?" Duh, clearly the letter said no, but the captain said it was fine from the bridge.

So...if/when I do the UST again, I'm taking a camera and agreeing to only shoot "out" - view from the bridge, view from the smokestack, etc.

Nope, sorry, $USD150 = $AUD203 x 2 = $AUD406 for My wife and I.:eek: That is wwwaaayyy over the top in my humble opinion.

How much is it on the ships that operate in Australian waters and everything is charged in AUD? Not everything seems to be a direct conversion to AUD from USD?

I thought it was worth doing (on the Ruby in January 2014) once. I've passed up opportunities to repeat it.

When I did a bridge tour which is a perk you get with your 50th (and each 25th thereafter, I believe) cruise credit, we were not restricted in taking photographs, just video. This was on the CB.

By putting the no photographs into the contract they can control ownership if needed. I took a camera and took photos and nobody said anything. Several people posed with the wife when asked. Do try, to not hold up the group taking pictures, that I'm sure is a no no....

Bridge picture were allowed, the only placed that they requested no photos was the engine control room.

Great tour.

framer

By putting the no photographs into the contract they can control ownership if needed. I took a camera and took photos and nobody said anything. Several people posed with the wife when asked. Do try, to not hold up the group taking pictures, that I'm sure is a no no....

Bridge picture were allowed, the only placed that they requested no photos was the engine control room.

Great tour.

framer

Holding up the group is a definite no no. All this is choreographed. You are expected at certain places at certain times to see certain people, because those exact places, times, and people have been set aside for that purpose, and things have been scheduled around it.

Edited by Wehwalt

Many of these posts talk about the tour and some of the highlights. A few simply question the price.

Fact; only a limited number of people can go. I believe the maximum number when I went was 12. Even at that, there is often several more that sign up and there is a drawing for those that can go. This is at $150 PP

Could it be done cheaper? Of course.

How many would sign up if the charge was only $50 PP? Imagine the number of disappointed people that did not have their names drawn. How big would the line be at CS to sign up?

Perceived value, number control with pricing. Easy to see.

Great tour. Worth every penny. IMHO

Dixon

Was on Star to Hawaii last November, on a 15 days cruise. They did two UST. I got to do the first one and my buddy, Blue Ice went on the second UST. Each group tour had 12 people. Instead of a Chef's jacket, we got a beautiful Checkered Blue Apron, along with the heavy Princess Bath Robe, 4 -8x10 photos and a note pad with our names printed on top. Great tour.