Valuables while snorkelling

BecL

Hi All,

Going on my first cruise with my husband next year to the South Pacific.

Have loved all the info on this site which has helped a lot but have a question that i'm not sure is stupid or not but here goes..........

....... What do people do with their valuables (wallet, phone etc) while snorkelling? I'm concerned if they just get left in a bag on the beach they will be taken but what else can we do with them?

Any advice would be fantastic as we plan to spend a fair bit of time in the water.

Thanks!!

Leave cell and valubles in you cabin safe. We have a cheap digital waterproof watch set to shiptime. Most drivers licences and credit cards are watersafe or you can get a waterptoof pouch and take them with you. We have a credit card with a set low limit to take on shore for small purchases. If something happens to it not only are you protected by your credit card company but there is also not much of available credit. Sometimes it is hard to get a low limit on a card but some companies will or issue you a separate card with a set limit

Ditto with what Keith advises. DW and I are avid snorkelers and have done it all over the world including throughout the South Pacific. When we leave a ship (or hotel) we only carry some cash, 1 major credit card, and some ID (not our Passports). We have a waterproof nylon fanny pack (bum pack for you Brits) which has a triple sealed waterproof (to over 100 feet) special plastic bag that holds those valuables. Our backpack and snorkel bags stay on the beach, but have nothing of value in them. Not sure our model is made anymore, but just google "waterproof fanny pack" and you will see all kinds of similar items.

Hank

Your DL, credit card and ship key are plastic....water won't hurt them at all...won't hurt cash, either....you can blot wet cash with a towel and it's fine. Dries fast.

If a man has a velcroed pocket in his swim trunks, stick those items in the pocket!

No one wants your t-shirt or flip-flops.

I push my waterproof neck pouch far down the front of my swimsuit. That way it does not float around me when snorkeling. My Husband ties his to the drawstring in his trunks and then puts the pouch part in the Velcro pocket. As we swim with the fishes at almost every port, it has worked well for us.

As an alternative Google - Vacation Vault. This is what we use and we love it. We've locked it on the snorkel boat, to the steel post supporting the benches. We've also used it at resorts - but you have to lock it on an unmovable item. Easy to pack, light weight and I stuff mine with socks to utilize the space. I also use mine in the cruise cabin. Lock around the hanging bar, hang a jacket on the hanger and put over the vault. Nobody would ever notice it.

you are going to need your cell phone while snorkeling in the South Pacific?

I use these

102_0058_zps5b6fb9c3.jpg

The blue/small is large enuf for a credit card, ship card, picture ID and a few folded bills. The larger red one is enuf for a pack of cigs ... or more of the former . . .

These are readily available at beach shops, often in cruise ship stores, on line or make me an offer .....

Edited by Capt_BJ

you are going to need your cell phone while snorkeling in the South Pacific?

I use these

102_0058_zps5b6fb9c3.jpg

The blue/small is large enuf for a credit card, ship card, picture ID and a few folded bills. The larger red one is enuf for a pack of cigs ... or more of the former . . .

These are readily available at beach shops, often in cruise ship stores, on line or make me an offer .....

I also use these!

• 1 month later...

Actually, I'm wondering about this as well. Not so much for phone purposes, but non waterproof camera, and most importantly, my medication. Due to severe asthma, i have to carry my inhaler with me. And i can't risk it being stolen. Also, due to severe food allergies, I'll need to bring a couple of snack bars with me. Is there a waterproof backpack or something that we can use while snorkeling?

There are waterproof fanny packs. Search a local dive or water sport shop, Amazon or one of the larger sporting stores, REI, Sports authority

I use a DryPak Alligator bag. This even keeps QTips dry. It's small and I just hitch it to the strap of my top.

Edited by SadieN

Guy's swimsuit with a velcro pocket for the inhaler which is in a waterproof bag....I use a box like the blue one in the photo and tie it to my bathing suit strap.....I use that from the moment we leave the house til we get back....my husband uses one like the red one to also put the rental car key when we have one.... we don't take pictures anymore but will take a plastic underwater camera if it is someplace new....have a bag on the beach with sunscreen,paperbacks,pareo......couple of years ago we stayed at a hotel in barbados....someone walked off with my beach dress and pareo but that is the only time in many beach/snorkel stops that something has been taken....anything valuable really needs to be on your person... .