Cruising in August?

I used to always check the weather for the various ports on my itinerary and would fret about the 50% chance of thunderstorms/whatever. But, after many cruises, I stopped doing that because, as we all know, the weather is unpredictable.

For example, I just spent 12 days cruising the Elation and the Dream and had perfect weather the whole time. We had about 60 seconds of rain one day on the Dream and 22 seconds on the Elation and that was it. Perfect clear blue skies every day.

Stop worrying and enjoy your trip!

We have sailed in August, the only challenge is that it is hot.

If you are worried about it being hurricane system it has not been an issue, at least for us. If there is a storm the ship will simply change the itinerary. If you are looking for a specific port and it will ruin your cruise if you don't make it, this may not be the time to sail for you.

In all my cruises I have only missed one port. Grand Turk due to high winds. One our trip last August the itinerary order was changed but we hit the original ports.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the fact that I am on a ship and not at work. There is plenty to do on the ship if the weather is bad. If the weather is extremely bad, the ship will sail around the storm.

Exactly!!

Like one of the posts said August is very hot especially in the ports of call. NOAA predicted that the hurricane season will be way below normal because of the wind shear in the Caribbean which causes unfavorable conditions for cyclone development, there should be no problem. Since August is still summer break for kids expect many children of all ages on the ships. Have a good time!!!!!!

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

Depending on where you live the humidity may or may not bother you. I cruised in August with my daughter and her teens and it didn't feel that bad to me....I live in NC but they are from Boston and they looked like three wilted flowers after we were out for a while. Drink LOTS of water and slow down and you should do fine. Carnival will avoid any BAD weather but you might see some thunderstorms which are normal for that time of year. Have fun!

We have cruised many times during August and only once were we really impacted. It was an unusual circumstance in that a hurricane was heading up the coast toward Boston/Canada. Our cruise was Boston to Boston Canada/NE and there was no alternate place for Captain to go. Without going in to all the details, all ended safely though we missed days of our cruise. Out of more than 90+ cruises, that is only one of two times we had extreme interference because of hurricane.

This is an El Nino year and typically that means fewer tropical storms in the Atlantic/Caribbean.

Captain will keep his/her ship safe and welfare and safety of crew and guests will always be first concern.

Don't worry. There's little you can do and the odds are highly in your favor of no problems.

August can be HOT and oh so humid!............:eek:

So sit back and enjoy it!!

That is exactly the weather we have in Boston this week. Didn't have to go to Caribbean to get hot and humid.

We used to sail HAL's newest ship every summer in the Caribbean for years and loved those cruises. I would go again without a pause if they still did those summer cruises.

Happily there is air conditioning, pools and beaches. When the heat bothers you get in the air conditioning or take a swim. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I typically cruise later in the year but I just booked a last minute cruise on he Victory. And now I'm extremely nervous about the weather. What do you do when you cruise during heavy rains and storms?

Are you concerned about summer storms? No need to be. The thing about summer storms in the tropics is, they're here and gone in 15 minutes. At sea, it's pretty easy to drive around them. Go and enjoy your cruise. There's nothing to be nervous about. :)

We have cruised in almost every month of the year with the exception of December and January. August is hot, lots of kids onboard, and there is always the risk of a hurricane. We have learned not to worry about things beyond our control, which weather certainly is. As you can see from my signature, we have endured three hurricanes in our cruising past, and have lived and loved to tell about it. :D

Take your cruise, enjoy your time away, and if it is raining I would recommend a rain poncho or other waterproof cover-up instead of an umbrella in port. Umbrellas can be dangerous to people's eyes when you are trying to maneuver on crowded streets in port.

Have fun.

Ditto. A most miserable experience. :mad:

We NEVER cruise in August, preferring winter trips to warm places. I'd rather be working in my air-conditioned office than in sweltering ports and very crowded ships overrun with kids.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Ships will sail around most storms. The heat in August is harder to avoid; however, for those who live in the Southern United States, is even hotter at home that on the seas. It is really hot in ports though, and we have found we can't enjoy then as much in late summer.

We have sailed in August, the only challenge is that it is hot.

If you are worried about it being hurricane system it has not been an issue, at least for us. If there is a storm the ship will simply change the itinerary. If you are looking for a specific port and it will ruin your cruise if you don't make it, this may not be the time to sail for you.

In all my cruises I have only missed one port. Grand Turk due to high winds. One our trip last August the itinerary order was changed but we hit the original ports.

Im from the NorthEast its already hot and humid here. Im okay with that because its a vacation :-)

We NEVER cruise in August, preferring winter trips to warm places. I'd rather be working in my air-conditioned office than in sweltering ports and very crowded ships overrun with kids.

For those of us who can, the perfect world is to have both summer and winter vacations. :)