Keep an eye on your onboard spending account

We've also been charged for items removed before our arrival. Guest Services took off the charge without a fuss, but I did feel as though I were somehow guilty; after all, asking for the charge to be removed would be the same thing a dishonest person would do.

Anyway, one of the first things we do when we get into our cabin is take a picture of the minibar as it was when we arrived. We've not needed that evidence since starting that routine, but it does bring us some peace of mind.

Edited by Daghis

We have never used the mini bar and check on our statement on the last morning for unusual charges. One one cruise, our statement was fine and the mini bar was still unused.

However our credit card charge for the account after we were back at home was over $50 higher than the statement. We phoned, then waited a week as requested until the detailed statement was posted on RCI's system and phoned again. The charge was for the full contents of the mini bar. Customer service were very helpful and said that someone must have entered our room after we left and emptied the minibar before it was checked. They immediately refunded the erroneous charge.

Edited by Goonhilly

Only once did I have a mini-fridge locked. I asked the room Stewart why he said that we had an underage cruiser with us. It was to stop them from getting into the drinks. I asked if he could remove the items and he was kind enough to do so.

I guess I don't know what I am talking about. I guess you are right. I have only been on 18 cruises.

The person who takes care of your room is a STEWARD. Maybe need a 19th cruise!?

Regarding the mini bar charges, has anyone seen a list of what is supposed to be stocked in the fridge upon embarkation? How is one to know what may or may not be missing if a starting point is not given?

On Liberty last month, I had five cans of soda. (two Coke, two Sprite, one Diet Coke). Was waiting for a charge for a missing can of Diet Coke.

We empty our fridge, cooler, whatever it is, first thing when we enter our new cabin. We tell "Stewart" what we did and where the stash is. We always see the beverage guy sometime early in the cruise and explain the same to him. Never a problem.

Be nice if RCCL would have an option to check when you book . . .

want fridge stocked? []

or

not stocked? [] Check one please.

Could save Stewart and the beverage guy a lot of time. And save a whole of aggravation to the guests.

Rick and Deirdra

We've also been charged for items removed before our arrival. Guest Services took off the charge without a fuss, but I did feel as though I were somehow guilty; after all, asking for the charge to be removed would be the same thing a dishonest person would do.

Anyway, one of the first things we do when we get into our cabin is take a picture of the minibar as it was when we arrived. We've not needed that evidence since starting that routine, but it does bring us some peace of mind.

Taking a picture is a great idea! We were charged for one of the bottles of water they leave on the counter (not in the minibar), when we had not used any. Had to go to guest services, and they took off the charge. It made us suspicious--we wondered how many people never notice the charges and pay for things they haven't used (and where that revenue goes, if the product is not used: skimming?).

On the same cruise, second leg of a B2B, we had checked our account after the first day and the soda package hadn't posted. We forgot to look again until the last day (and I know we should have checked sooner), and we had been charged for both a soda package and another beverage package. We had to make several trips to guest services to have the charge for that removed, even though it was obvious we'd never used it, had no stickers on seapasses, etc., and the guest services rep was rather rude about it, said it was our mistake (not sure how that could be).

Point is, be sure to check your account to verify expected charges and avoid the unexpected ones!

A few days later, the minibar attendant came to our cabin. While there I told him about the charge. He asked if it was on the first day of the cruise. When I said yes, he said he thought he knew what happened.

So, keep an eye on your spending. Not all cruisers are honest.

Regardless what an attendant may have told you, I find it hard to believe it is at all "often" that people "check out" of their cabin and then return to scam the minibar..............in most cases that would still result in a charge to them, not the new guest. Almost sounds like a stupid urban legend actually.:rolleyes:

We never open or even look at the minibar and have never been charged anything for it in 11 cruises. I don't get the obsession with it - emptying, taking pictures, etc. Good grief just leave it alone.

Edited by bouhunter

Regardless what an attendant may have told you, I find it hard to believe it is at all "often" that people "check out" of their cabin and then return to scam the minibar..............in most cases that would still result in a charge to them, not the new guest. Almost sounds like a stupid urban legend actually.:rolleyes:

We never open or even look at the minibar and have never been charged anything for it in 11 cruises. I don't get the obsession with it - emptying, taking pictures, etc. Good grief just leave it alone.

Wouldn't call it an obsession...but I have emptied the mini fridge to put my own stuff in there.

I like the fridge empty to use for my own stuff (ok that big piece of chocolate cake from Chops which I nibble on all week) and the last thing I want to do on disembarkation day is stand in line to have charges removed (yes I have). Last year on the Oasis I put contents of fridge above cabinets. I put a sticky note on fridge 'No Bar Service Please' and told the cabin steward we did not/would not use the stocked items so we wouldn't get charged for the items. Well I learned my lesson. I thought the cabin steward provided ice & wine bucket with ice and I kept asking for ice but didn't receive. Turns out the bar service provides the ice and steward never mentioned it to me when I kept asking for ice. If he passed it on to the bar service they didn't bring it because I requested no bar service. Won't do that again.

I'm scratching my head at what kind of pathetic low-life would take the opportunity on a hectic disembarkation morning to go back and steal from the minibar so as to stick the cabin's next occupant with the tab.

I can understand erroneous charges getting on people's accounts. It's happened to me a few times for various reasons.

But if your Royal Caribbean bathrobe goes missing after you've disembarked, don't they still charge your account for it? Why couldn't they do the same for a burgled minibar that's discovered after the fact?

But if your Royal Caribbean bathrobe goes missing after you've disembarked, don't they still charge your account for it?

Not necessarily. We we met some first time cruisers last year and we friended on fb. She had the best vacation ever. She said her cabin steward was fabulous and even brought them robes. As a matter of fact she still wears hers all of the time. Ha, ha I told her they were to wear on the ship not a gift. Not like they stole them they thought they were complimentary. Well actually I guess they were, no charge.

Unfortunately like everywhere else there is a bit of crime on the cruise ships. I've also read on these boards about missing ipads, computers, etc. When the rooms are cleaned the doors are left open, sometimes nobody around & people walking by spot something in a room, grab it and keep going. Also heard complaints about people snatching luggage that is sitting outside your door. You must be aware of your surroundings and lock up your valuables just like on land.

Edited by travelbuddies

Not necessarily. We we met some first time cruisers last year and we friended on fb. She had the best vacation ever. She said her cabin steward was fabulous and even brought them robes. As a matter of fact she still wears hers all of the time. Ha, ha I told her they were to wear on the ship not a gift. Not like they stole them they thought they were complimentary. Well actually I guess they were, no charge.

That reminds me of a time, many years ago, when a crew member gave me a bottle of champagne to take home. When I balked at putting it in my checked luggage, he said, "No problem," and wrapped it in one of the ship's towels to pad it.

To this day, that towel still sits in my linen closet, never used, and I still feel guilty about it. :o

I usually check every morning after all have been posted. I check for both charges and any OBCs due me. Only one time have we been charged for sodas and it was a mistake by the beverage individual that posted to wrong room. Credit was given with no problems by GS.

I'm scratching my head at what kind of pathetic low-life would take the opportunity on a hectic disembarkation morning to go back and steal from the minibar so as to stick the cabin's next occupant with the tab.

I can understand erroneous charges getting on people's accounts. It's happened to me a few times for various reasons.

Could be a crew member... I know there are many extra hands to turn over the rooms on that day...

On my last two cruises on the Oasis, I moved everything out of the mini bar, and placed it on the shelf above. I added a note stating that we would not be purchasing any of the items from the mini bar, and "please do not restock". When we disembarked, I left everything on the shelf. I asked our steward for ice, and we got it twice a day. I check our account on the TV at least once a day - sometimes twice. It only takes a minute, and could prevent a last-minute surprise. So far, everything has been spot on.

Quantum mini-fridge, with lock:

[URL=http://s188.photobucket.com/user/MerionMom/media/Quantum%20of%20the%20Seas%20December%201-11%202014/DSC08000_zps2eb9e392.jpg.html][IMG]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z310/MerionMom/Quantum%20of%20the%20Seas%20December%201-11%202014/DSC08000_zps2eb9e392.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

(and yes, that is the only ship with locking mini-fridges. Probably Anthem now, too.)