Keep an eye on your onboard spending account

My husband and I cruise about once a year. He claims I am anal because I always check our onboard spending a few times during the cruise. On our last cruise, when I checked, there was a mini bar charge for over $20.00. Since I knew we had not used the minibar I went to guest services. They immediately took the charge off.

A few days later, the minibar attendant came to our cabin. While there I told him about the charge. He asked if it was on the first day of the cruise. When I said yes, he said he thought he knew what happened.

Some guests leave their cabin and take all personal belongings with them on disembarkation day. The cabin attendants then start to get the cabin ready for the next guests. Some guests then return to the cabin, take items out of the minibar and leave. So, by the time the minibar attendant gets back, the items are charged to the new guest. I asked if this happened often. He said yes, he has caught guests returning after he has checked.

So, keep an eye on your spending. Not all cruisers are honest.

Only once did I have a mini-fridge locked. I asked the room Stewart why he said that we had an underage cruiser with us. It was to stop them from getting into the drinks. I asked if he could remove the items and he was kind enough to do so.

Only once did I have a mini-fridge locked. I asked the room Stewart why he said that we had an underage cruiser with us. It was to stop them from getting into the drinks. I asked if he could remove the items and he was kind enough to do so.

Are you sure that was with Royal as there is no alcohol in the mini fridges on Royal.

Are you sure that was with Royal as there is no alcohol in the mini fridges on Royal.

There was in the ones we have had. The one I was referring to It was on the Radiance of the seas.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

RCL also charges minibar expenses later to guests who checked out already. We found a charge of about 30 USD on our credit card one month after we paid the final invoice for our onboard spendings. We also did not use the minibar and received no further advice about this additional charge from RCL. I checked back but never got the money back.

On our last cruise we also received about 15 USD incorrect minibar charges on day one or two but the bar was full before and after this charge. This time guest service removed it after a longer discussion.

Buttom line is I also check our invoice on a daily basis....

I thought they locked the mini bar ......refrigerator...the night before? At least this has always been our experience.

The coolers on RCI ships can not be locked. I believe that the coolers on Celebrity can be locked or that was our experience on Summit.

Edited by cruisenfever

Was it a while ago. We've been on 7 different ships since 2011 and it's only been soda and candy in the fridge.

I guess I don't know what I am talking about. I guess you are right. I have only been on 18 cruises.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Was it a while ago. We've been on 7 different ships since 2011 and it's only been soda and candy in the fridge.

We've had beer in our cooler.

On our b2b on Quantum last November/December they were still in the process of stocking the refrigerators (and they do keep things cold) during the inaugural cruise we were on. The refrigerator is in a cabinet with a small shelf above the refrigerator. When stocking they were putting in the small airplane size bottles of vodka, wihiskey, gin and something else.

Edited by cruisenfever

We've had beer in our cooler.

On our b2b on Quantum last November/December they were still in the process of stocking the refrigerators (and they do keep things cold) during the inaugural cruise we were on. The refrigerator is in a cabinet with a small shelf above the refrigerator. When stocking they were putting in the small airplane size bottles of vodka, wihiskey, gin and something else.

Interesting. I guess they are looking for more on board revenue. Since this varies from ship to ship I'm guessing that this is a decision made by the Hotel Director and Food and Beverage Manager on each ship as opposed to a standard set by Miami.

Interesting. I guess they are looking for more on board revenue. Since this varies from ship to ship I'm guessing that this is a decision made by the Hotel Director and Food and Beverage Manager on each ship as opposed to a standard set by Miami.

It may depend on where the ship is sailing. It wouldn't surprise me to see different policies applied in different markets.

I made a mistake it was not the mini-fridge that was locked it was the cabinet door that was locked that houses the mini-fridge.

We have been on almost all classes of RCI ships in various cabins and we have never had a lock on the cabinet that houses the cooler.

We did have a cabinet that locked when we were in a Skye Suite on Celebrity.

I remember years ago when RCI had installed mine bars with censors in the doors so that when an item was removed, you were automatically charged. Needless to say, they didn't last long.

Edited by cruisenfever

I thought they locked the mini bar ......refrigerator...the night before? At least this has always been our experience.

I think they do that on Celebrity. They must not trust the passengers:eek:!

I agree with the OP and we check our bill every 2 or 3 days.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

We have been on almost all classes of RCI ships in various cabins and we have never had a lock on the cabinet that houses the cooler.

We did have a cabinet that locked when we were in a Skye Suite on Celebrity.

I remember years ago when RCI had installed mine bars with censors in the doors so that when an item was removed, you were automatically charged. Needless to say, they didn't last long.

I know that the room Stewart had to come in and unlock it and remove the stuff. It was in 2008. Maybe things have changed.

I think they do that on Celebrity. They must not trust the passengers:eek:!

I agree with the OP and we check our bill every 2 or 3 days.

M

I agree with checking your bill. We do it every 2 days as you just never know.