Meal time insulin in the MDR

Mommypig

Mommy,

You have a medical problem, and if other people can't deal with it, well that's their problem. You should never, ever be made to feel that you should use a public restroom to take a shot. I don't care how often they clean them. Aren't there notices all over the place to wash due to anti-Noro protection? And don't you still see people who skip out without doing so?

If you are wearing clothing which is thinner than jeans, it is fine to shoot right through the material if that works for you. Sometimes I have done that. If you are wearing a blouse outside a skirt or pants you can get to your tummy below the table that way, too. Or hit your thigh if you have on a dress. If you are reasonably discreet, no big deal. If the other people at the table question you, just say that you have a medical problem, and leave it at that. Or tell them you have diabetes. If they are uncomfortable, then THEY can ask to move.

Unless you have a good portion of food (app and bread or more) do not shoot. I made that mistake once and the main dish didn't arrive for close to an hour after that. Wasn't the waiter's fault, and he finally had the Maitre 'd get results for him.

Added info: If you use a syringe, you can purchase a needle clipper at Walgreens or some other places or online. You can easily clip the needle (goes into a storage area which holds 500 needles). The clipper is about the size of a bandaid and maybe a quarter inch thick. It is a very safe way to immediately get rid of the needles. If you use a pen, I bring a very small medicine bottle, and dispose of the needle, capped, there until I get back to my cabin.

In either event, bring the capped needle or the syringe back to your cabin, and dispose of it in the SHARPS Container you asked your room steward to provide (ask for a large one if you have to dispose syringes). If it fills up, ask for a second one.

So, that's the truth from someone who has been doing this for years. Believe me, rather than some of the people who have thoughts on the matter but not experiences.

I have type 2 Diabetes and have just made the "jump" to meal time insulin. Since I am very sensitive to drops in blood sugar, I need to take my shot very close to when I start eating, otherwise I become what hubs calls "hangry". It generally hits about 5 minutes after the shot. The last thing I want to eat, well the first thing I WANT to eat but the last thing I SHOULD eat is stuff in the bread basket. So I need to wait until the food comes. Do you think anyone would notice or care if I just gave myself a shot in the leg under the table, or do I need to do the trek out to the ladies room every night? Most restrooms don't have a place to put the paraphenalia (purse, needle nipper, insulin pen) where I can just have it on my lap or rest the purse on the table. And I don't really want to put my medicine on the sink where people have been washing up after going poo.

Another option would be to make arrangements to have a small piece of whole grain bread and a shrimp cocktail at my table as soon as I sit down. Then I could probably do my shot in the stateroom and and go to dinner, at least on the Pacific Princess where its only a short distance to go anywhere. Not sure about the Grand and Star we are on for our next cruises in Alaska.

Maybe I am overly sensitive to the whole thing because it is so new and annoying, although the numbers look better. Is is a big deal or should I just do what make me feel comfortable.

thanks

I agree with Coral. Do whatever you're most comfortable with. The suggestions to get something from the buffet and bring it back to your cabin and take the shot there or to arrange to have something to eat at your table when you arrive are excellent ones.

As Paul says, you'd be welcome at my table any time. As said, the Grand and Golden don't have restrooms anywhere near the dining rooms, particularly the Traditional dining room. You have to go up the stairs and down the hall on Promenade deck. :( Whether the bathrooms are cleaned hourly or not, I avoid them whenever possible. For me, they are a last resort.

The suggestion of calling the dietary folks at Princess is probably the right thing to do, but if you're discretely giving yourself a shot under the table, I personally don't see what the issue is. It's not like whipping a huge syringe/needle out, holding it up like in the movies, and then jabbing into you al la Pulp Fiction. Then again, I deal with medical stuff day in and day out, so it takes a lot to faze me. I've given shots to critters to some of my needle phobic clients' pets without them even realizing I had done it until I announced all done- I think the key word in your question was discrete.

dogdoc2002

a) If you are in traditional dining, then it is easy to arrange for your waitstaff to have what you need at the table when you arrive. However, plan to arrive a few minutes late each evening so you do not have a wait at the doorway (especially the first evening) so that an injection before you leave your cabin is not too long before you get the food.

b) If you are in anytime, you have no way to know how long you will wait in line to get into the dining room and no certainty that you will get the same waitstaff every evening, so it would impractical to do the injection before leaving the cabin.

c) Why not get that first food you need from the buffet and bring it to your cabin? You can do the injection in the cabin, eat that first food and then go to the dining room.

We always do traditional, but option c has some merit. I will definitely be keeping a stash in my room, and have something in my purse.

The suggestion of calling the dietary folks at Princess is probably the right thing to do, but if you're discretely giving yourself a shot under the table, I personally don't see what the issue is. It's not like whipping a huge syringe/needle out, holding it up like in the movies, and then jabbing into you al la Pulp Fiction. Then again, I deal with medical stuff day in and day out, so it takes a lot to faze me. I've given shots to critters to some of my needle phobic clients' pets without them even realizing I had done it until I announced all done- I think the key word in your question was discrete.

dogdoc2002

LOL the needle is so tiny you can barely see it. And it screws onto a pen, not a traditional syringe. And I can be pretty discreet. Since we do go on cruises to make friends and enjoy the experience rather than to just get away by ourselves, I will make sure that I won't offend anyone if I need to be less then discreet. The first cruise is on the Grand which apparently has no restrooms near the MDR so that is not going to be an option.

Mommy,

You have a medical problem, and if other people can't deal with it, well that's their problem. You should never, ever be made to feel that you should use a public restroom to take a shot. I don't care how often they clean them. Aren't there notices all over the place to wash due to anti-Noro protection? And don't you still see people who skip out without doing so?

If you are wearing clothing which is thinner than jeans, it is fine to shoot right through the material if that works for you. Sometimes I have done that. If you are wearing a blouse outside a skirt or pants you can get to your tummy below the table that way, too. Or hit your thigh if you have on a dress. If you are reasonably discreet, no big deal. If the other people at the table question you, just say that you have a medical problem, and leave it at that. Or tell them you have diabetes. If they are uncomfortable, then THEY can ask to move.

Unless you have a good portion of food (app and bread or more) do not shoot. I made that mistake once and the main dish didn't arrive for close to an hour after that. Wasn't the waiter's fault, and he finally had the Maitre 'd get results for him.

Added info: If you use a syringe, you can purchase a needle clipper at Walgreens or some other places or online. You can easily clip the needle (goes into a storage area which holds 500 needles). The clipper is about the size of a bandaid and maybe a quarter inch thick. It is a very safe way to immediately get rid of the needles. If you use a pen, I bring a very small medicine bottle, and dispose of the needle, capped, there until I get back to my cabin.

In either event, bring the capped needle or the syringe back to your cabin, and dispose of it in the SHARPS Container you asked your room steward to provide (ask for a large one if you have to dispose syringes). If it fills up, ask for a second one.

So, that's the truth from someone who has been doing this for years. Believe me, rather than some of the people who have thoughts on the matter but not experiences.

Thanks for the support. I do use a needle clipper for the needle and lancet sharps. I have been using Lantus for several years so know the drill to keep Stewart safe from needle sticks. I have done needles thru jeans but that was an Epi-pen on my son, so it was a tad more forceful than the insulin shots need to be.

I am very new at the meal time insulin and we are still adjusting the dose. As I get better at it hopefully I can avoid the crashes. Leave it to my NP daughter to tell me about how the leg is slower delivery than the stomach. Although that makes sense, it really hadn't occurred to me to be a possible solution. And since we leave the 25th for our northwest adventure, I will still be a novice at this.

LOL the needle is so tiny you can barely see it. And it screws onto a pen, not a traditional syringe. ............

A nicer option than my Dad ever had. It wasn't available during the 43 years he dealt with his diabetes. And. like I said, if no one notices, no problem whatever you do.

Both me and my DH would not have a problem with you doing it at the table. You do what you need to do to take care of yourself. You could also ask the waiter if he could have a small snack waiting for you when you get to your table. It would be no different if someone at a table needed to use an epie pen right away.

Please don't do this in the dining room with other diners present, unless you are sitting discreetly at a table for 2. Even then, I have my doubts. I am usually easy going but I just feel this doesn't belong in a dining room setting. I see other posters have said they wouldn't mind at all, but I feel as if a lot of diners would. I know it would make me uncomfortable, unless I knew the person and was well prepared in advance. An epi pen is an occasional occurrence, I wouldn't object to that in an emergency at all. But a nightly injection --- sorry, no. Of course your table mates could always ask to be moved, but they shouldn't have to.

Edited by cynbar

Obviously this issue is new to the OP, so part of the issue is getting comfortable on how to handle in public.

I can tell you there is no problem arranging to have bread, shrimp cocktail or anything else you want at your table when you arrive. I think this is the best approach.

If you elected to use a restroom, I would suggest a handicapped bathroom only because they often are set up for only one person at a time. Therefore less used and less chaotic then other restrooms. I would check out the location of the handicapped restroom when you board.

Talk to the Mat'red when you board, you can go to see him (or his representative) late afternoon the first day, there is always someone helping folks arrange for table changes, you can communicate your needs at that time. To play it safe the first night, I would get a snack from the Lido, because the first night in the MDR sometimes does not go as planned. After the first night you should have no problem.

Ask your Room steward or customer service where the Mat'red is and at what time when you board. Usually in one of the diningrooms or outside.

My DH has type 2 - we arrange to have whole wheat bread only, sometimes they need to get from another area on the ship and they do. We cruise Princess, HAL, Cunard, Celebrity... no problem on any line. But one does need to ask for what you want or need. Staff respond very well.

Have a great cruise. :)

I'm also on the quick-acting insulin at meals. I use the Humalog Kwik-Pen in addition to the long lasting insulin. It's summer so my "uniform of the day" is shorts. This makes it easy for me to quickly give myself my injection in my thigh, under the table, in the restaurant. Since the regimine is to eat within 15 minutes of injection, I simply pull out my pen, load the pen needle and "shoot myself up". I then put the pen back in my pocket and dispose of the needle when I get back home.

The same scenario would apply on a cruise.

Pretty much every day on these boards I see someone say you need to use paper towel to open the restroom door to avoid disease, but now people want someone to go into those same restrooms to make an open wound on their body.

Sure that all makes sense to me.

Granted the restrooms aren't the cleanest, but the dining table isn't exactly sterile, either.

Take care of yourself at your table - not in a dirty bathroom.

If you walk into a restroom on a ship and give yourself an injection, there's nothing "dirty" about it. You don't have to touch any surface. Then wash your hands when finished. Nothing dirtier than in the dining room. ;)

I certainly sympathize with your problem, but I'm still not comfortable with the idea of injections at the table. I imagine you will discuss this with your table mates ahead of time so there will be no surprises. I have a relative who is needle-phobic in the extreme. She would likely take one look and then vomit at the table before passing out. She has a terrible time with doctors, and forget the dentist. Obviously, it's a matter of balancing needs, yours and the other diners. I hope you find a solution that works for everyone.

the Grand and Golden don't have restrooms anywhere near the dining rooms, particularly the Traditional dining room. You have to go up the stairs and down the hall on Promenade deck.

If you go up the stairs from the traditional dining room, there are restrooms at the top of the stairs on the port side. No need to go down the hall if you do not mind using the handicapped restroom there.

Edited by caribill

Take care of yourself at your table - not in a dirty bathroom.

Do what makes your cruise enjoyable and healthy.

Absolutely agree. I don't have diabetes but I do have 2 friends who both have to inject insulin and when we eat out they both inject at the table and have never had anyone make any comment. It is disgusting that anyone should have to inject in a bathroom as if they were some kind of drug user.

If you go up the stairs from the traditional dining room, there are restrooms at the top of the stairs on the port side. No need to go down the hall if you do not mind using the handicapped restroom there.
It doesn't bother me but I was on the Grand for 15 days with my sister and a friend and had to listen to them complain every night about the lack of a bathroom just outside the dining room. Both have walking problems so to them, it was a big deal.

I get together with friends every Monday night for drinks and dinner. One lady who comes occasionally has diabetes and gives herself an injection at the table. It's done discretely and nobody faints or loses their appetite. Unless you're at the table, no one notices.

It doesn't bother me but I was on the Grand for 15 days with my sister and a friend and had to listen to them complain every night about the lack of a bathroom just outside the dining room.

Luckily that was fixed for the Crown, Emerald, Ruby, Royal and Regal.

IMO, do the injection discreetly at the table (under), as you say the needle is small and you do it in your leg. If you are sharing a table perhaps ask if anyone minds first.

If you can help it, do not do the bloodwork testing at the table as blood can put people off their dinner.

His wife and all the rest of us at that table implored the waiters to bring out his dinner first (he had ordered a steak, the rest of us lobster which it turned out was the backed-up item) or to just find him something other than the bread basket to nibble on. All of this went ignored, and when the food finally came out the waiter angrily refused to serve him first as he was not a lady again despite unanimous protest from all of us.

I honestly don't know what was more disturbing: the complete lack of sympathy from the dining room staff, or the fact that the couple did not leave to seek food elsewhere. Though I believe his wife was worried that he was too woozy to walk at that point. So please do whatever is necessary to not get anywhere near this scenario (as relayed by a fellow Type 2 currently on no meds but who needs to behave much better before his next cruise in a couple months)

The waiter was dead wrong to have refused such a request and he compounded his error by getting angry. At that point you or someone else at the table should have summoned or gone and found the maitre 'd and explained the situation to him. That should have resolved the problem with no further ado. What should have been at worst a minor complication at dinner developed into what could have been a dangerous and embarrassing situation.

Tom

The suggestions to talk to dietary and the head waiter are good. I will do that to see what can be arranged. The first night on the big ships I will bring shot with me and scope out distances etc to see if stateroom would work. I am public restroom phobic on cruise ships so I will make sure I wear something so that I can get to my leg easily under the table where no one can see or get sqeamish. I don't like using my leg as much but just chatted with my DD who is an NP and she said using leg should slow the insulin down a bit so maybe I won't crash so fast.

It's a good thing we are cruising Princess because if we were on Carnival I would be faced with saying no to the warm chocolate melting cake every night, and that would just be too much to bear, or I would have to get WAY more insulin from Dr!

I have always given my shot at the table. Discretion is the key. You can give the shot under the table cloth without any seeing it. Those who have not experienced low blood sugar do not realize how severe and frightening it can be.

I say do it and do not let it spoil your cruise. Remember that being diabetic just means that you are too sweet. Diabetes is a controllable disease, not a communicable disease and also not a death sentence.:D

I certainly sympathize with your problem, but I'm still not comfortable with the idea of injections at the table. I imagine you will discuss this with your table mates ahead of time so there will be no surprises. I have a relative who is needle-phobic in the extreme. She would likely take one look and then vomit at the table before passing out. She has a terrible time with doctors, and forget the dentist. Obviously, it's a matter of balancing needs, yours and the other diners. I hope you find a solution that works for everyone.

In addition it doesn't happen often, but sometimes there will be a bit of blood which can be a concern. I'm sure the OP is healthy, but it's still a concern. Also, I agree that a restroom is far cleaner than a table in the dining room. The ideas of getting food from HC or having food waiting are good ideas. Even though I've lived with needles for many years I still won't do it in a dining room for my own privacy and for the comfort of others.

Edited by FritzG