Curtis Stone restaurant is called 'SHARE'

InTheWASide

Personally, if they are going to do away with Sabatini's then I wish it was on the Royal/Regal where the venue is not so attractive and looks more like a store-front restaurant. To us, we found Sabatini very lacking in ambiance on the Royal which affected our overall enjoyment.

I just happened upon this news of "Share." Makes me sad. This spring on the Crown, one of our nicest evenings was spent in Sabatini's. It was romantic and delicious. The hard seats, long tables, and sharing of dishes in the new restaurant will make it a more informal experience, which is okay if that's what you're looking for.

I'm so grateful to CC for all the information that comes together here. I love cruising so much, and it's so nice to be able to "shop around" with some information in hand.

I just happened upon this news of "Share." Makes me sad. This spring on the Crown, one of our nicest evenings was spent in Sabatini's. It was romantic and delicious. The hard seats, long tables, and sharing of dishes in the new restaurant will make it a more informal experience, which is okay if that's what you're looking for.

I'm so grateful to CC for all the information that comes together here. I love cruising so much, and it's so nice to be able to "shop around" with some information in hand.

That bothers me too. I find nothing romantic about the mockup of Share.

I wonder if Princess management has studied the "Share" concept in depth. From our experience, the entire idea of a special meal is totally different from the concept of share, at least as described here.

We are among those who prefer Sabatini's over the Crown Grill because it has a quieter, more subdued atmosphere. We will be sorry to see it eliminated, especially if it were to be dumped and replaced by "Shared".

We, as well as most folks we know, delight in a quiet dinner -- just the two of us. There is zero attraction to a "group grope" special meal to us.

Sometimes management follows the "change for change sake" axiom rather than using research and logic. When they do, it rarely works out well.

P&J

We, as well as most folks we know, delight in a quiet dinner -- just the two of us. There is zero attraction to a "group grope" special meal to us.

That seems to be the case with everyone I talk to about this. The specialty restaurants are "special" and used for romantic twosomes. Since it's already possible to have dinner with a crowd in the MDR, this seems redundant. I guess the difference is that you get to share your food with others at the table. Perhaps the celebrity aspect of it is designed to appeal to foodies, but there is the Chef's Table for them already. The whole thing just seems unnecessary to me, but I will wait to find out, I guess.

Princess is just trying to capitalize on the food trends currently popular with Millenials. A LOT of the big name restaurants in town are offering sharing menus or pop up tapas/family style offerings and they are wildly popular among 20-30 year olds who like to go out with a few friends or another couple.

Will it translate to cruise ships? Who knows? But kudos for trying something different at least.

That seems to be the case with everyone I talk to about this. The specialty restaurants are "special" and used for romantic twosomes. Since it's already possible to have dinner with a crowd in the MDR, this seems redundant. I guess the difference is that you get to share your food with others at the table. Perhaps the celebrity aspect of it is designed to appeal to foodies, but there is the Chef's Table for them already. The whole thing just seems unnecessary to me, but I will wait to find out, I guess.

I suspect Princess is going for a different demographic to fill the restaurant. While I like Sabatini's I suspect they will draw more people to the new concept, and possibly a younger 30-60 demographic. If so then it will be a success. I think your right in that there is a larger 'foodie' group than older "quiet" place group as the new generation ages.

Personally, I like the concept, give you a choice of sitting with a group or couple, and until I saw this board never saw anyone pick a restaurant for the soft vs hard chair. Again a different (not right or wrong) demagraphic.

Lack of change makes any organization die. Quite frankly I was getting bored with the same two choices of specialty restaurants on the smaller ships.

Edited by MrMan

I will be worried about that menu - the one posted, other than deserts, there were only two things as a vegetarian (and about 1 in 20 are) that I could eat - the onions and the potatoes as everything else has some form of meat included in the cooking.

In addition to being a vegetarian I, like many others, am allergic to shell fish. If the posted menu is a sample, there is no way I would ever pay extra to sit at a table only to be provided with more food I could not eat than I could.

P&J

A snipit from a travel agent publication I receieved:

"Princess Cruises has announced a new dining experience: SHARE by Curtis Stone, his first restaurant at sea.

SHARE offers a specialty dining experience for guests with a menu of signature dishes imagined for sharing. The new restaurant is scheduled to debut aboardRuby Princess and Emerald Princess this December.

The announcement is part of a partnership with Chef Stone that was announced as part of the line's "Come Back New" branding. As part of the partnership, “Crafted by Curtis” menu items offered in the main dining rooms will debut aboard Golden Princess in the fall and roll out fleet-wide through the end of 2015. Curtis Stone’s Chef’s Table experience will debut in early 2016.

The SHARE dining experience is meant to encourage connecting with family, friends and other cruisers by offering dishes served family style. Designed by Chef Stone, the menu includes dishes such as a Charcuterie starter course; Butter Roasted Lobster with Caramelized Endive and Endive Foam; Twice Cooked Duck Leg with Fennel, Bacon jus and Parmesan Crumb; Tagliatelle with Roasted Alaskan Crab, Chili and Parsley; and Dark Chocolate Cremeux with Toasted Hazelnut Feuilletine and Burnt Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.

Hospitality designer Jeffrey Beers International developed the dining ambiance, which is meant to be a reflection of Chef Stone’s creative vision that stems from his own childhood mealtime experiences."

I definitely vote for comfortable chairs and a nice' date=' quiet table for two.

I dislike restaurants that have loud, raucous, large tables filled with rabble rousers.

I am so sorry to hear of the plans to replace Sabatini's.[/quote']

I missed in the description where they were catering to loud raucous rabble rousers. Seems a little hyperbole

Did anyone see on their local CBS television channel about how newer restaurants are utilizing hard surfaces and communal tables because it promotes energy and a party atmosphere.

Restaurants that have incorporated this into their design have seen large increases in business.

Not surprisingly those who liked it were younger those who disliked it older.

I missed in the description where they were catering to loud raucous rabble rousers. Seems a little hyperbole

The hard surfaces, hard floors, and large tables appear to be a loud atmosphere, to me. If you like loud, enjoy.

I will go to Crown Grill.

"The SHARE dining experience is meant to encourage connecting with family, friends and other cruisers by offering dishes served family style. Designed by Chef Stone, the menu includes dishes such as a Charcuterie starter course; Butter Roasted Lobster with Caramelized Endive and Endive Foam; Twice Cooked Duck Leg with Fennel, Bacon jus and Parmesan Crumb; Tagliatelle with Roasted Alaskan Crab, Chili and Parsley; and Dark Chocolate Cremeux with Toasted Hazelnut Feuilletine and Burnt Vanilla Bean Ice Cream."

Sounds good to me. I can't wait to try it.

Hyperbolic? The loud part is "Pass the potatoes!" :p:D

I agree! "Pass the potatoes!" :) Well said:)

Bring back the "boarding house reach!" Remember when those young and hip diners, the Little Rascals and the Three Stooges, would have their forks ready, at the boarding house table, to snatch a piece of meat, as the communal

platter whizzed by?

Crown Grill sounds so good to me.

"The SHARE dining experience is meant to encourage connecting with family, friends and other cruisers by offering dishes served family style. Designed by Chef Stone, the menu includes dishes such as a Charcuterie starter course; Butter Roasted Lobster with Caramelized Endive and Endive Foam; Twice Cooked Duck Leg with Fennel, Bacon jus and Parmesan Crumb; Tagliatelle with Roasted Alaskan Crab, Chili and Parsley; and Dark Chocolate Cremeux with Toasted Hazelnut Feuilletine and Burnt Vanilla Bean Ice Cream."

Sounds good to me. I can't wait to try it.

But the "SHARE dining experience obviously doesn't lend itself to someone who dines by him/her self.

From the CC news item:

In other news, not sure if Pam can confirm this as well or not, but I've heard that the Wheelhouse Bar was being replaced in the semi-near future with a full time pub concept called Thirsty Dog Pub or Salty Dog Pub... something like that... don't recall the precise name

Not naming my source but they work in the corporate office and it was mentioned at a recent "here's the state of the company update" type meeting for all employees.

The Princess Captain's Circle magazine came in the mail yesterday, on page 3 it talks about The Salty Dog Gastropub that will be introduced on the Crown, October 2015 followed by Emerald and Ruby in December. It is open for dinner and the menu will be trendy and upscale pub classics presented in a refined yet casual setting.

It will have craft and specialty beers, classic and contemporary cocktails and a specially designed whiskey menu as well as live entertainment. It will roll out fleet wide throughout 2015 and 2016.

I wonder where they will be putting this?

The Princess Captain's Circle magazine came in the mail yesterday, on page 3 it talks about The Salty Dog Gastropub that will be introduced on the Crown, October 2015 followed by Emerald and Ruby in December. It is open for dinner and the menu will be trendy and upscale pub classics presented in a refined yet casual setting.

It will have craft and specialty beers, classic and contemporary cocktails and a specially designed whiskey menu as well as live entertainment. It will roll out fleet wide throughout 2015 and 2016.

I wonder where they will be putting this?

I thought I read The Wheelhouse. That sounds awesome