Anyone been through this? Cancelling 1 month out

Person in my cabin has been under the weather the last month or so and is contemplating cancelling cruise in 1 month. She has sharp pain under left arm pit and so far has not been diagnosed.

We have Travelex Insurance. I believe that if she cancels, the insurance company will cover whatever Royal does not reimburse. If that's the case what about me? I'm still going

I'm not sure what would happen in this case. A friend of mine found that the second guest in his stateroom could not go on the cruise, and Royal wanted to reprice the booking at current rates, which were much higher than when they had booked. He had the option of just letting the second person be a no-show, but in that case he would not get the double points for being a single.

OP really needs to speak directly to RCCL. It's logical to think that if the second person cancels 1 month out and RCCL keeps their full payment that the other person would still be able to travel without incurring any additionally costs . However Op should RCCL is always logical in its decisions. It would be unfortunate if the OP showed up at the port based solely on the information obtained on CC only to be denied boarding.

It's logical to think that if the second person cancels 1 month out and RCCL keeps their full payment that the other person would still be able to travel without incurring any additionally costs

Yes that sounds logical to "us" but to RCCL, their logic is: "We are losing revenue by not having that 2nd person on board, i.e. paying for drinks, extra-cost dinners, souvenirs, excursions, spa treatments, etc. So even though we still get paid for their passage, we are losing money and therefore need to re-price the cruise for the single person, and it will be more expensive than the price already paid for both passengers together."

She has sharp pain under left arm pit and so far has not been diagnosed.

She is going to cancel a cruise because of undiagnosed pain under her arm? How "undiagnosed" is it? I mean, it's not that hard for a physician to come up with a reasonable differential and then rule in or out the things that would make travel inappropriate...

Can you even make a claim with travel insurance without a medical diagnosis? or at the very least a reason supporting canceling for medical reasons? I guess the doctor who has yet to make a diagnosis will vouch they are unfit for travel in a month's time?

OP really needs to speak directly to RCCL. It's logical to think that if the second person cancels 1 month out and RCCL keeps their full payment that the other person would still be able to travel without incurring any additionally costs . However Op should RCCL is always logical in its decisions. It would be unfortunate if the OP showed up at the port based solely on the information obtained on CC only to be denied boarding.

It's not a 100% loss until within 14 days

Can you even make a claim with travel insurance without a medical diagnosis? or at the very least a reason supporting canceling for medical reasons? I guess the doctor who has yet to make a diagnosis will vouch they are unfit for travel in a month's time?
I would think so

I would think insurance carrier will question an undiagnosed pain. If it is serious enough to cancel the cruise it should be serious enough to go to the doctor.

There also might be an issue if OP is not the primary person on the booking.

I am kinda in the same situation. Cruise is 100% paid for, but the other person may not be able to go now.

I don't expect to get any $$ back, but surely RCI won't re-price it now based on the fact I am already paying for a dbl occ, even though I am the only one in the room. I don't expect to get double points but.

I suppose if I take a look and see that the single supplement is the same price or cheaper than what I paid for 2, it wouldn't hurt to call to get my double points?!

Otherwise I just show up at the check in and tell them the other person is a no show?

I am kinda in the same situation. Cruise is 100% paid for, but the other person may not be able to go now.

I don't expect to get any $$ back, but surely RCI won't re-price it now based on the fact I am already paying for a dbl occ, even though I am the only one in the room. I don't expect to get double points but.

I suppose if I take a look and see that the single supplement is the same price or cheaper than what I paid for 2, it wouldn't hurt to call to get my double points?!

Otherwise I just show up at the check in and tell them the other person is a no show?

I would just show up at check-in, check-in, and tell them nothing about the other person.

Your cruise won't be re-priced unless you contact them and ask for the second person to be removed.

I would just show up at check-in, check-in, and tell them nothing about the other person.

Your cruise won't be re-priced unless you contact them and ask for the second person to be removed.

I totally agree. I cruised once without the second person and ALL the CC advice said to just show up and tell them the second person wasn't coming. I ended up with double points.

I totally agree. I cruised once without the second person and ALL the CC advice said to just show up and tell them the second person wasn't coming. I ended up with double points.

Curious about this-- can the other person still file the insurance claim?

pretty sure they have to cancel to make claim

Yes, they do have to cancel, prior to the ship sailing, to file an insurance claim. When we were deciding whether to cancel a cruise last year when my DH broke his ankle, I was told as long as I made the decision and called prior to sailing, we could file a claim.

Happened to me a few years ago. Friend had to cancel after payment in full, had RCL insurance, refund issued. RCL changed my rate to single supplement. Found someone else to go in her place and she had to pay full price too. They did change it back from single supplement.

Yes, you can. We had to cancel our cruise in March four days before sail date because of a medical issue with DW. The doctor needed MRI/CAT Scan/ECG tests to determine cause and treatment options, but the hospital couldn't get DW in for those tests until the following week. Dr. documented that DW was unfit to travel, and we were able to cancel with no penalty. By the time we actually filed the claims forms with the insurance company, we had all of the necessary documentation from the Dr.

Happened to me a few years ago. Friend had to cancel after payment in full, had RCL insurance, refund issued. RCL changed my rate to single supplement. Found someone else to go in her place and she had to pay full price too. They did change it back from single supplement.

If this cruise was prior to a couple of years ago, then Royal had not implemented the re-pricing on any change policy. Much easier back then.

We had to cancel about 1 month before cruise in 2011 when our son and his partner of 12 years broke up. RC refunded the port fees, our son sailed as a single in the room and there was no change to his price. They did not have insurance so it was a pricey interior room for our son.

Sherri:)