What's your best cabin tip?

joellebridgers

This seems kind of redundant but be sure to use the cabins built in shelves and cabinets!! The first two years we just put stuff around them like we typically do in hotels. Last year we had so much more room utilizing this space and the medicine cabinet or shelves in the bathroom as well! Also most suitcases slide under the bed

If you need more hangers, just ask the cabin steward. No need to pack them and take up more room in your suitcase.

If you have a cabin that "rattles" or "vibrates" due to ship movement (usually the AFT cabins do this), identify what is rattling. Usually, it's the lamps. I just place a towel or some article of clothing/fabric around it, and it usually takes care of the issue. One time the ladder to the upper bunk (which wasn't being used) was rattling just leaning against the wall. I just repositioned it, and it worked.

packing cubes help me make good use of shelf space. I use one for undies plus scarves and a second one for socks. On my last cruise, I stopped using a toiletries bag, as all my stuff already fit on my share of the bathroom shelves. I just packed toiletries in a couple of ziploc bags. I had an additional bag for all the small stuff that clutters up my toiletry bag, like sewing kit, safety pins, bandaids...

We don't use a pop-up hamper; we put our dirty clothes in a plastic bag in one of the suitcases under the bed every night. Unpack everything the first afternoon so you aren't looking for anything later. Try to get into the habit of putting everything in the same place each night.

I too am a one that advocates for unpacking everything. Underclothing, socks and jammies go in the drawers, T-shirts and shorts on the shelf and nicer clothing is hung. Put soiled items in a plastic bag in the suitcase under the bed.

Hubby gets one side of the bathroom vanity and I get the other. I do leave my makeup in a case that fits nicely on the shelf. Pair that make up down. You do not need 8 tubes of lipstick.

Another hint is to pack more selectively. Clothing needs to mix and match. Cut down on the shoes. Hubby packs one dress pair and a pair sandals that double as water/beach shoes and wears his sneakers. I wear a pair of comfortable sandals that does double duty and pack two pair of dressier sandals.

Well I found out that there are drawers under the sofa, but I usually book a porthole cabin without sofa.

Unpack everything, use a plastic bag for dirty laundry, store suitcases under the bed, and while an over the door shoe hanger would be helpful if there are more than two of us in a cabin, I usually just use an LL bean carry case, and hang it outside the bathroom.

A great steward is wonderful, but just straightening out the room and pulling up the sheets on the bed makes for a cleaner look.

+1 on the cubes. I never pack for any kind of trip without cubing up and organizing my clothes.

Take a small brown paper sack to set on the counter or nightstand for stuff. All kjnds of stuff that you might want to find easily or need to take care for.

We don't use a pop-up hamper; we put our dirty clothes in a plastic bag in one of the suitcases under the bed every night.

I do the same, and this how my husband and I differ (but I swear I am right, lol). We both unpack all of our clothes the first night, but I fold them up and put them back in my suitcase when I'm done with them, whereas he just leaves them in a pile in the room. Difference is, when it's time to leave I'm already packed and he has to take the time to pack! My way is more efficient, imho. :D

1. Multi-outlet, I have one that has two USB ports built it.

2. Packing cubes are great to help with organization

3. I like the over-the-door shoe holder. Helps to keep the desk and bathroom more organized. We use it for things like sun glasses, dollars for room service tips, pens/highlighters, etc.

4. Larger binder clips instead of clothes pins for beach towels on deck and the balcony

5. Travel alarm clock because our phones go in the safe after the safety briefing

6. A good mix of OTC (over the counter) medication and some first aid stuff. It is expensive on the ship

7. A couple of reusable water bottles/drink cups with lids. Great for filling will tea and lemonade on the Lido deck or drinks you bring on-board. We bring some of the crystal light/koolaid type packets for bottle water for excursions.

Suit case under the bed. And you can even use that as a drawer for things you don't have to unpack like undies and socks etc.

On a side note, I like to bring along one of my digital alarm clocks from home. You don't have to learn how to operate the alarm on one in your cabin. Something from home is nice to have too.

Wow thanks everyone! Some good tips! I did just buy some packing cubes, but I think I will pick up some more.

I like to keep things neat and organized. I will definitely look for a cheap over the door shoe organizer for our stuff as well.

Are the walls magnetic? I read somewhere that you can bring magnet clips or hooks for things like hats?

For those with small kids, pack entire outfits (including undies, socks, hair bows, etc) in gallon sized zip lock bags. Label them with their names and the day you want them to use the outfit, if needed. That way the child can just grab the bag and get dressed.

Also, I bring duct tape for the extension cords. I like to tape them down on the carpet to reduce trip hazards, especially for those who have C pap machines!

Love the tips everyone! [emoji4]