Leaving mid way threw cruise

brittmama

What would happen if someone just walked off the cruise and flew home from lets just say Ketchikan and didn't get back on the ship? Just curious really.

Do you mean try to get off with all of your luggage, i.e. an early departure, or just walking off the ship as for a shore excursion and simply not reboarding?

There would be hell to pay and the cruise line fine imposed by U.S. Govt authorities would be charged directly to your credit card. You can't just leave with out making arrangements and that assumes your itinerary can legally allow it.

DW had to abandon ship in St. Lucia last year for medical reasons, mid way through a 2 week cruise, and fly home for an emergency operation. There was a lot of paperwork involved for the ship's officers, and we essentially needed to have authority from the St. Lucian government to enter the country under a different category than cruise passengers. Obviously, it can be done if the situation warrants an early departure and the ship's crew will do the necessary work to make it happen.

That said, I don't think being bored or missing the warmth of Vegas would constitute sufficient grounds for an early departure. The ship's crew might not physically detain you as you carry off all your luggage, but you can count on CBP "welcoming" you at the bottom of the gangplank.

Edited by Fouremco

and you leave the ship at a US Port. Would that be illegal?

I'm sure the ship would be waiting a little for you if they didn't know you had no intention of returning. Perhaps the police would be looking for a "missing person." But would there be a legal question?

Sounds like someone is writing a mystery novel.

I'm sure the ship would be waiting a little for you if they didn't know you had no intention of returning. Perhaps the police would be looking for a "missing person." But would there be a legal question?

I don't know how much it would matter if the person is a US citizen.

But the ship and authorities on the pier would have a pretty good idea that you were trying to leave if you had your luggage with you. The way I pack, I'd be VERY conspicuous.

and you leave the ship at a US Port. Would that be illegal?I'm sure the ship would be waiting a little for you if they didn't know you had no intention of returning. Perhaps the police would be looking for a "missing person." But would there be a legal question?

I think this presents a problem with the Jones Act as you would be travelling from US city to US city without an intervening foreign port.

I'm not a lawyer, and don't play one on TV, but there could be.

If the passenger boarded in one US port (e.g. Seattle, Seward), and disembarked in another US port (e.g. Ketchikan), without already stopping at a distant foreign port, then there would be a violation of the PVSA.

Even if the passenger had boarded in a Canadian port, to walk off without clearing both Customs and Immigration could be problematic. When you leave the ship you are leaving one country (the ship's country of registry), and entering another.

Yes does not matter.... The ship depending on itinerary does go to Canada, a foreign country for those who don't know. Or on a round trip (Seattle to Seattle) all have rules. The ship has to leave AND arrive with same people and yes the cruise line will pass the fines onto the missing passenger.... You can't debark a ship without permission!

The ship depending on itinerary does go to Canada, a foreign country for those who don't know.

Canada is a near foreign port, not a distant foreign port.

A near foreign port is sufficient for round-trip cruises out of Seattle. A distant foreign port would be required for cruises from, for example, Seward to Seattle (or reverse). That's why the Gulf of Alaska cruises that start (or end) in Seward have Vancouver at the other end of the cruise.

Canada is a near foreign port, not a distant foreign port.

A near foreign port is sufficient for round-trip cruises out of Seattle. A distant foreign port would be required for cruises from, for example, Seward to Seattle (or reverse). That's why the Gulf of Alaska cruises that start (or end) in Seward have Vancouver at the other end of the cruise.

Wrong information- there is NEVER a same ship- cruise between "Seward/Seattle or reverse", that is allowed.

You most certainly CAN exit an Alaska cruise- IF you board in Vancouver. You can NOT leave a ship sailing Alaska- if you are sailing out out of Seward/Seattle.

Assuming, of course, that you are a US citizen or a foreign national with the requisite documentation to allow entry.

Likely could not take your luggage off of the ship. We had friends that bought a gift in Ketchikan, brought it back to the ship, wrapped and packaged it to mail.

They planned on taking to the post office and mailing it. Ship security and US Customs had other ideas- they spent two hours with with security and customs. the package had to be opened for inspection. They finally let them take it ashore but the had to wrap it off the ship and take to post office.

Wrong information- there is NEVER a same ship- cruise between "Seward/Seattle or reverse", that is allowed.

No, if you'll reread Ruth's post she IS correct. She stated that a distant foreign port would be required if sailing on a one-way from Seattle to/from Seward. Since there are none that qualify in the region, ships doing the one-way cruises have to have Vancouver (instead of Seattle) as one of the terminus. Surely you aren't disputing that. :rolleyes:

A cruise from Seattle to Japan and on to Seward would certainly be allowed - should a cruise line ever offer it.

I don't know how much it would matter if the person is a US citizen.

But the ship and authorities on the pier would have a pretty good idea that you were trying to leave if you had your luggage with you. The way I pack, I'd be VERY conspicuous.

It doesnot matter if you are a U.S. citizen or not..Even U.S. Citizens can't board in Seward & disembark in Ketchikan, because that is a violation of the PVSA Act as Ruth stated..The Jones Act has nothing to do with Psgrs, the Jones Act is for Cargo only.. HAL would have a very heavy fine which will go on the persons credit card if the PVSA Act is violated..

See this thread about the PVSA Act.& read post 25..:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1232270&page=2

Post 25 by Bruce Muzz explains it-Quote Originally Posted by ksc1984

I'm new to this and I really don't understand this law. Who enforces it? Who's to know where you've been or haven't been? Do you get arrested or just detained at some point? Sorry to be ignorant, but I don't want to make a mistake some day and lose my (potential) cruise and money..

Bruce answers: US Coast Guard and US Customs together enforce this law.

When the cruise line sends their passenger manifests to US Customs/Immigration before and after arrival in every US Port, a computer program automatically searches for passengers violating the PVSA.

The cruise line is forced to pay the fines (US$300 per person) for anyone violating the law. They then pass the fines on the guilty passengers.If a cruise line knowingly allows you to violate this law, there can also be very large fines for them, and their ships can be banned from calling at any more US Ports in future.

Likely could not take your luggage off of the ship. We had friends that bought a gift in Ketchikan, brought it back to the ship, wrapped and packaged it to mail.

They planned on taking to the post office and mailing it. Ship security and US Customs had other ideas- they spent two hours with with security and customs. the package had to be opened for inspection. They finally let them take it ashore but the had to wrap it off the ship and take to post office.

That happened to us too! :)We actually tried taking a wrapped package off to mail in Ketchikan & were stopped.. We had to clear Customs.. Fortunately a Customs Inspector was still at our ship..

You can read my post No. 1 describing what we went through in Alaska..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16022805#post16022805

Edited by serendipity1499

Another consideration might be if you are not checked back in to the ship by "all aboard" time - this could delay the ship which incurs costs - to say nothing of the costs if they decide to conduct a search. Doing this would be incredibly inconsiderate to the cruise line and other passengers.

What would happen if someone just walked off the cruise and flew home from lets just say Ketchikan and didn't get back on the ship? Just curious really.

You could be fined! And if you were not a U.S. Citizen you could be arrested..

It's not legal as you would be violating the PVSA Act which states that a cruise line can not allow you to board in one U.S. City & disembark in another U.S. city without going to a Distant Foreign Port..

U.S. Border Customs & Immigrations does not take this lightly..

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pvsa_icp_3.pdf

You most certainly CAN exit an Alaska cruise- IF you board in Vancouver. You can NOT leave a ship sailing Alaska- if you are sailing out out of Seward/Seattle.

Wrong information. It very much depends on the citizenship of the passenger, the type of visa they're holding and whether or not they pre-cleared this with both HAL and US Immigration.

A cruise from Seattle to Japan and on to Seward would certainly be allowed - should a cruise line ever offer it.

As a matter of fact, back in the early-mid 90's HAL had at least one year of Alaska cruises with an itinerary that went to eastern Russia.

It must have not been too popular, as that itinerary wasn't offered very long. At the time, I was very interested in doing it, though. By the time I was ready, it was gone. :(

I don't remember the starting/ending points of that itinerary, but it would not have violated the PVSA had it begun in one US port and ended in another, as Russia is a distant foreign port.

Edited by RuthC

Wrong information. It very much depends on the citizenship of the passenger, the type of visa they're holding and whether or not they pre-cleared this with both HAL and US Immigration.

NOT wrong information. According to the PVSA, it is illegal for a non-US flagged ship to transport passengers from one US port to a different US port without a stop in a distant foreign port. Regardless of citizenship of passenger or visa they may be holding. To do so, can result in fines and/or banning from US ports altogether.

There are no distant foreign ports anywhere close to the line of travel for the Alaska cruises.