Steakhouse Specials

Jimmy Geegitz

Only a free dinner on the 1st night for full suite passengers but not any other specialty restaurant deals like we had on RCI which was more expensive. Some booking promotions have a free specialty restaurant dinner included.

In April we received a Princess 50th anniversary coupon booklet which included a free half bottle (375 ml) of wine when dining at a specialty restaurant.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I've been on both Carnival and Princess cruises in the last year and I seem to remember that Princess was $25 and Carnival was $10 more for the steakhouse, but I might be wrong, also it may have gone up, the price of nothing goes down much on board for passengers.

I didn't think Princess was a bad deal personally for the additional cost of the steakhouse, specially if you have to endure anytime dining, and on short cruises I sometimes ate there for nothing as an alternative to the MTP cocktail party or luncheon, then it was really worth doing.

Yes Carnival steakhouse is $35. It's really good. Looking forward to Princess to see if it matches up.

As I recall $35 was the same price on RCI and hopefully you'll enjoy the Princess $25 Crown Grill dinner as much as we do on each cruise.

I've never had a problem getting reservations when boarding the ship but some days it is fully booked. That's more likely on formal nights when passengers who want to dress smart casually will go to specialty restaurants instead of the buffet.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Worth noting...

One can order an additional entree in a Princess steakhouse (IE. if one is wanting to order both a steak entree and a lobster entree) for no additional charge unlike that on Carnival.

Granted we've only tried one speciality (cover charge) steakhouse restaurant on Carnival, but even with the complimentary cheap promotional bottle of wine, we both were left less than impressed with the whole experience.

Not only was service rather poor, not being able to substitute a rib-eye for the filet mignon with the surf-and-turf w/out having to pay an extra charge (after having been used to my experiences on Princess) rubbed me the wrong way.

While the food was OK(nothing special..the filet was barely 2oz. FWIW), We left the Carnival steakhouse feeling that we had paid more for a lesser experience than what Princess has provided us in the past.

My wife likes mussels & she has that entrée as her first courses and we each have a filet mignon with some lobster tails. As 'Skai' posted order whatever you want on the menu...I enjoy their Black & Blue onion soup & dessert sampler but miss the individually baked berry cobbler.

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/CrownGrillMenu-Sample-2013.pdf

Edited by Astro Flyer

Good to hear. Nice that you can add a lobster tail. I like the Ribeye on Carnival it is outstanding. Never had the filet.

Sometimes the lobster tail is small & they'll bring several of them & you can request as many as you can eat. I can only think of once when the filet wasn't very tender. We could have requested another filet but the one served was already much better than in the MDR & we still enjoyed our CG dinner.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We left the Carnival steakhouse feeling that we had paid more for a lesser experience than what Princess has provided us in the past.

I have to agree. After having been in the Carnival Steakhouse multiple times, the experience on Princess is much better and I think the meal is better too. We've always chalked this up to the overall difference between the two lines. My last Carnival cruise, the first night I was in the steakhouse I felt rushed (one course on top of the next) so much I actually complained. So I was comped another night and then.. as you might expect, the meal took almost two hours to complete. Which was fine because I had guests with me. Have never had an issue with Princess.

Wow no charge for the lobster. I must have hit the wrong ship. Last time on Golden was charge a second entrée for the lobster. Thought it odd as had done this before with no issue. Maybe should have asked it wasn't even good lobster :(. Will try again on Regal in the fall.

Thanks

I know when I asked for lobster with my steak on the Carnival Magic, I wasn't even offered the option of paying a second cover charge for that. Which I would have as long as I was going to get the Onion Soup as well. LOL. I too will have to try this on the Regal when we sail in December. That is unless lateblomer56 comes back and tells us they were unsuccessful.

Edited by WISH84

Wow no charge for the lobster. I must have hit the wrong ship. Last time on Golden was charge a second entrée for the lobster. Thought it odd as had done this before with no issue. Maybe should have asked it wasn't even good lobster :(. Will try again on Regal in the fall.

Thanks

Are you sure that was not when they had the lobster upcharge?

When was it?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Sailing on Princess in four weeks...our second cruise on Princess

I am not a "foodie" but I am really looking forward to dining in the Steakhouse again

The meals were all great

Atmosphere and decor was wonderful and relaxing

Service - GREAT, they make you feel very special and never feel rushed

AND - The chocolate volcano desert is to die for!

This would be a $100.00++ experience on land

We ate at the Crown Grill twice on our recent cruise and we found that if one orders lobster as an appetizer or add-on with another entree they brought out tiny ones but when someone ordered lobster as an entree they were really nice big tails. Even the smaller ones were tasty and fresh though. The molten chocolate dessert was incredible!

We ate at the Crown Grill twice on our recent cruise and we found that if one orders lobster as an appetizer or add-on with another entree they brought out tiny ones but when someone ordered lobster as an entree they were really nice big tails. Even the smaller ones were tasty and fresh though. The molten chocolate dessert was incredible!

You should have seen them the first year the CG was online. :D