Planning a cruise..I have questions

twinklen01

Hello. I'm planning a cruise for my husband, teen daughter and I. We live on the west cost and would be leaving from Ont. or LAX airport. I've been looking at Western and Eastern Caribbean cruises. Airfare will make this cruise more $$$ :/ trying to keep cost low so interior room will be fine with us.

I just finished reading gamee or gambee's review and loved Half moon Cay pictures he posted. Nice beaches would be nice and beautiful water. We can't afford to travel/cruise every year so we want to be a good cruise.

Questions:

1. Which cruise Western or Eastern? If you've been to both and could only pick one to visit again which would you pick?

2. My daughter wont do whale watching or sting ray so any other must do excursions?

3. West coast travelers...which airline do you travel for Caribbean cruises?

4. Flying limits what we can take so are there places by the port we can buy waters/sodas. I know it will depend on the ports.

**5. Almost forgot one of the most important question I wanted to ask-lol! If we do the western or Eastern cruise which will be better I will be off Nov. Thanksgiving week Nov.21.-29 and March 19-27 and maybe March 12-20 if I can get it approved but the other dates I'm off for sure.

Its been 3 or more years since my last cruise and both cruises I've been on we were able to drive to port. Flying will be a first for cruising

I am not a west coaster, but Southwest flies from Ontario I think.

I prefer Western route... I think the beaches are better. I love Grand Cayman, and CoZumel. Belize is ok and Roatan is great.

We have cruised many times at Thanksgiving and it has been awesome. flights can be more expensive however and the turkey dinner is not great.

Hi,

We are also usually west coast cruisers and are taking our first Caribbean cruise in October.

You are going at busy times since many schools are out for vacation and airfare may be high.

I'd start looking at cruises and airfare to the different homeports that go out into the Caribbean and see which airfare is best for your dates. Then I'd look at which ports the ships go to from that port.

We decided to go out of Fort Lauderdale ,Florida for our cruise. We looked at Galveston and realized it takes a good hour or so to get from the airport in Houston to the cruiseport and didn't want to deal with that.

I wanted to go out of New Orleans but when we looked at the itineraries we liked the one out of Fort Lauderdale the best. I don't think you can go by other people's opinions as to which islands to visit because you may like different places.

We are going to Jamaica, Cozumel and the Cayman Islands as they are quite different from most of the Mexican ports we have visited on our west coast cruises.

go the day before. adds the cost of a hotel room but being local before the cruise eliminates any problems with flying. being Canadian have to worry more about weather than you do but our weather delays (and especially Chicago) can back up a lot of flights. for Ft Lauderdale lots of cheaper hotels in the Dania area close to FLL airport. Most have shuttles from the airport to the port. Lots of good info on cruise critic to find good place to stay.

I would shop for a good deal on a cruise rather than focus on east or west carib. rules of cruise critic prevent recommending places to shop so can only suggest you google and check out reviews online .

As a general rule cruises out of Florida are less expensive than other states. The dates you have listed are some of the most expensive times (Holiday and spring break). Even summer rates can be found for less money. Can you alter you dates?

I also agree with flying in one day early. Again the cost of the hotel in the time frames you list will be higher than norm but beat missing your cruise.

Regarding destinations, all are beautiful in there own ways. There are always a variety of excursions both offered by Carnival and by trusted local vendors. So I agree with Captain Canuck, look for an affordable cruise.

We started cruising when our 3 children were in their teens. They have always liked the Western Caribbean better than Eastern. You shouldn't have trouble finding sodas at the ports. Some places sell them less than others. Fun in the Sun Tour with Bodden tours in Roatan is one of our favorite and not expensive. They take you to see monkeys and other animals first. After that to a beach for a couple of hours. Our youngest daughter said it was her favorite of any excursion we have ever been on. I love just shopping in Cozumel but there are some great beaches that you can get to by taxi.

Hope that helps.

I would fly to San Juan and cruise the Southern Caribbean. You can hit 5 islands rather than 3, and they are better in my opinion. If you stay a night or two in San Juan, you turn a 7 day cruise into a 9 day island vacation. Cruise prices are cheaper out of San Juan. The air fare can be a little higher, but if you are selective you can find it for about the same price. We live in Northern CA and have done San Juan many times. Still my fav if I had to pick only one cruise.

We, too, are not from the west coast, but worse, from Iowa. No port with in 1000 miles.

Anyway, we always fly to the port the day before. Especially in the winter months, delays due to weather can really screw up a great vacation.

Fly in the day before and found a hotel(cheaper) near the airport. I will pick a hotel with walking distance to a Convenience store so we can buy our refreshments (including soda) to take onboard. Usually have free airport shuttle and most will have cheap transportation to the port in the morning.

Have sailed a lot out of Miami and since they have several ships there, it gives you lots of choices for itineraries.

So if you pick Miami, fly in and you could stay near South Beach. Believe me, that is an excursion just in it's self. Taxi ride will be about $30 to South Beach and about $15 the next day to the port.

As stated above, different people like different islands. However, some of my favorites have been:

St Martin- go to Maho Beach and watch the planes fly in.

st-maarten-shore-excursion-orient-and-maho-beach-half-day-tour-in-st-maarten-141341.jpg

Try Belize and snorkel on the barrier reef.

placencia-snorkelling-trips-belize-coral-reefs.jpg

Or try Grand Turk. We love the beach there and try the Flowrider- stationary surfing.

DSC_0093-ed3.jpg

Really like Cozumel, St Thomas, San Juan, St Kitts and Grand Cayman also.

Anyway, find somethings that you like to do. Either way, I am sure you will have a great time what ever cruise you pick. And then plan another cruise and do a different set of Islands next time.

We started cruising when our 3 children were in their teens. They have always liked the Western Caribbean better than Eastern. You shouldn't have trouble finding sodas at the ports. Some places sell them less than others. Fun in the Sun Tour with Bodden tours in Roatan is one of our favorite and not expensive. They take you to see monkeys and other animals first. After that to a beach for a couple of hours. Our youngest daughter said it was her favorite of any excursion we have ever been on. I love just shopping in Cozumel but there are some great beaches that you can get to by taxi.

Hope that helps.

I read a post the other day about changes in carry on soda and water so I thought it was only allowed on in carry on bags or was it checked in bags? I need to read all the new changes and rules.

I would fly to San Juan and cruise the Southern Caribbean. You can hit 5 islands rather than 3, and they are better in my opinion. If you stay a night or two in San Juan, you turn a 7 day cruise into a 9 day island vacation. Cruise prices are cheaper out of San Juan. The air fare can be a little higher, but if you are selective you can find it for about the same price. We live in Northern CA and have done San Juan many times. Still my fav if I had to pick only one cruise.

I'll have to check out the ports from san Juan

go the day before. adds the cost of a hotel room but being local before the cruise eliminates any problems with flying. being Canadian have to worry more about weather than you do but our weather delays (and especially Chicago) can back up a lot of flights. for Ft Lauderdale lots of cheaper hotels in the Dania area close to FLL airport. Most have shuttles from the airport to the port. Lots of good info on cruise critic to find good place to stay.

I would shop for a good deal on a cruise rather than focus on east or west carib. rules of cruise critic prevent recommending places to shop so can only suggest you google and check out reviews online .

I forgot about going in a day early. Yes we would definitely do that. I don't want to be stressed worry about travel delays

As a general rule cruises out of Florida are less expensive than other states. The dates you have listed are some of the most expensive times (Holiday and spring break). Even summer rates can be found for less money. Can you alter you dates?

We can go maybe early june (2nd week) depending on Daughters summer school start date or end of July. I heard summer is super hot and humid.

I also agree with flying in one day early. Again the cost of the hotel in the time frames you list will be higher than norm but beat missing your cruise.

Regarding destinations, all are beautiful in there own ways. There are always a variety of excursions both offered by Carnival and by trusted local vendors. So I agree with Captain Canuck, look for an affordable cruise.

March and Nov I'm on vacation and same with beg./end of summer . I just figured the nov/march would have nicer weather

I forgot about going in a day early. Yes we would definitely do that. I don't want to be stressed worry about travel delays

March and Nov I'm on vacation and same with beg./end of summer . I just figured the nov/march would have nicer weather

From West Coast to Florida, a red eye will get you into Florida airport around 7 or 8 am. If you can sleep on the plane to ward off jet lag......The eastern itin. can have Half Moon Cay which you liked, as well as Grand Turk and probably St Thomas and San Juan. You don't have to incur excursion costs on any of these stops: HMC and GT just enjoy the beach, St Thomas take a taxi into town to shop and have lunch, and San Juan walk or taxi up to El Morro, the huge fort that guards the harbor entrance! Enjoy!

I am not a beach person. We live 10 minutes from the beach and I have not been to the beach in over a year.

That being said, two of the best beaches one can find are Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. I willingly go to the beach at HMC. On Grand Turk, I would as soon hike the quarter mile down to Jack's Shack and play with the resident bar dog as anything. Add in St. Maarten, where there are several beaches and the opportunity to participate in what is generally considered the best excursion anywhere - The America's Cup Adventure, and one has a really great Eastern Caribbean route.

This could be done on either Carnival or Holland American.

Good luck,

Doc

Hello. I'm planning a cruise for my husband, teen daughter and I. We live on the west cost and would be leaving from Ont. or LAX airport. I've been looking at Western and Eastern Caribbean cruises. Airfare will make this cruise more $$$ :/ trying to keep cost low so interior room will be fine with us.

I just finished reading gamee or gambee's review and loved Half moon Cay pictures he posted. Nice beaches would be nice and beautiful water. We can't afford to travel/cruise every year so we want to be a good cruise.

Questions:

1. Which cruise Western or Eastern? If you've been to both and could only pick one to visit again which would you pick?

2. My daughter wont do whale watching or sting ray so any other must do excursions?

3. West coast travelers...which airline do you travel for Caribbean cruises?

4. Flying limits what we can take so are there places by the port we can buy waters/sodas. I know it will depend on the ports.

**5. Almost forgot one of the most important question I wanted to ask-lol! If we do the western or Eastern cruise which will be better I will be off Nov. Thanksgiving week Nov.21.-29 and March 19-27 and maybe March 12-20 if I can get it approved but the other dates I'm off for sure.

Its been 3 or more years since my last cruise and both cruises I've been on we were able to drive to port. Flying will be a first for cruising

So, you're in the L.A. area and you're going to the Caribbean instead of Central/South America or Polynesia? Why not a cruise out of Lima or Valparaiso - even a round trip from/to Tahiti?

We, too, are not from the west coast, but worse, from Iowa. No port with in 1000 miles.

Anyway, we always fly to the port the day before. Especially in the winter months, delays due to weather can really screw up a great vacation.

Fly in the day before and found a hotel(cheaper) near the airport. I will pick a hotel with walking distance to a Convenience store so we can buy our refreshments (including soda) to take onboard. Usually have free airport shuttle and most will have cheap transportation to the port in the morning.

Have sailed a lot out of Miami and since they have several ships there, it gives you lots of choices for itineraries.

So if you pick Miami, fly in and you could stay near South Beach. Believe me, that is an excursion just in it's self. Taxi ride will be about $30 to South Beach and about $15 the next day to the port.

As stated above, different people like different islands. However, some of my favorites have been:

St Martin- go to Maho Beach and watch the planes fly in.

st-maarten-shore-excursion-orient-and-maho-beach-half-day-tour-in-st-maarten-141341.jpg

Try Belize and snorkel on the barrier reef.

placencia-snorkelling-trips-belize-coral-reefs.jpg

Or try Grand Turk. We love the beach there and try the Flowrider- stationary surfing.

DSC_0093-ed3.jpg

Really like Cozumel, St Thomas, San Juan, St Kitts and Grand Cayman also.

Anyway, find somethings that you like to do. Either way, I am sure you will have a great time what ever cruise you pick. And then plan another cruise and do a different set of Islands next time.

Thanks for posting the pics. Seeing the airplanes fly low would be pretty cool but also scary-lol!

Eastern...much nicer beaches, IMO! I like spring,to get a start on my tan! It's really an either/or...the weather is the same all year round!

So you mean it will be hot and humid even in the fall and spring?? Is june-nov their hurricane season?

So, you're in the L.A. area and you're going to the Caribbean instead of Central/South America or Polynesia? Why not a cruise out of Lima or Valparaiso - even a round trip from/to Tahiti?

I can only do a 7-8 day cruise. Are those offered on carnival for 7-8 days?

We are from the West coast (Oregon).....flying really does add to the cost. We sail different lines depending on the departure port, ports of call and prices. Sometimes looking at the price of flights and the cruise may or may not work out cheaper on a line other then Carnival. Just a thought to look at the big picture.

We sailed from San Juan last year and I loved it but getting there is a LONG day. I had to take 3 flights for a total of a 16 hour day to get to the port.

We always fly in a day early....this allows less stress and we will buy soda at a grocery store near the hotel to take on baord.

You will find something to do in any port... research on cruise critic under the ports of calls boards. Lots of great ideas for each port and recommendations for independant excursions which are cheaper. We love Grand Caymen, St Thomas.

Could save the airfare and do a Mexican Riviera cruise out of Long Beach. If not, go in March. Hopefully less chance of weather issues and cheaper airfare.

You are planning to fly in the night before?

Edited by SadieN

We just did the southern carribean out of San Juan. It was our favorite. We stayed at the Holiday Inn express for only 150 the day before. Our teenage daughter loved this cruise the most. Its a beautiful beach every day plus alot of other things to do.. Loved it!

Could save the airfare and do a Mexican Riviera cruise out of Long Beach. If not, go in March. Hopefully less chance of weather issues and cheaper airfare.

You are planning to fly in the night before?

We've already done the Mexican Riviera. I wish carnival did other Mexican ports. I just checked SW and nov was $329 per person one way so x's 3 is to much $$$ return flights prices aren't showing for wanna get away.

March airfare wanna get away fares aren't showing

We just did the southern carribean out of San Juan. It was our favorite. We stayed at the Holiday Inn express for only 150 the day before. Our teenage daughter loved this cruise the most. Its a beautiful beach every day plus alot of other things to do.. Loved it!

Our daughter is a junior in high school and does sports and summer school to get ahead so our schedule is limited. Once she goes to college hubby and I will be able to travel anytime of the year :))))) but I really want to do a carribean or a cruise to somewhere before she graduates

For your daughter who won't snorkel : Many of the Caribbean ports have semi-sub excursions.

The top half of the boat stays above the surface - The viewing areas are normally about 5 feet below the surface and it's like snorkeling while staying dry.

DH doesn't/can't go snorkeling and we really do enjoy seeing what's down there. We normally choose the island that's most highly touted for it's snorkeling when we pick the semi-sub excursion.

Edited by summersigh