8/15/15 Noordam-review

shelnj18

Back from our short trip on the Noordam. We were on the Y6C which meant we got off in Skagway and then took the railroad and coach bus to Whitehorse. For the 3 days we were on the ship we had a great time! This was the first time we were on the Noordam and I agree with the posters who said how beautiful this ship is. Definitely a classy ship. We were upgraded to the signature suite and we loved it....very roomy and a lovely balcony. Beds and pillows were super comfortable. For the first day and a half, we never saw Edwin and Hendra....our room stewards. They did an excellent job of keeping our cabin neat and clean. In the past, we met these people the first thing when we got on the ship. We would always run into someone cleaning, delivering items or walking around. Not so here. I felt like the elves took care of everything when we were out and then disappeared!!

We ate in both the Canelleto and Pinnacle Grill. Both were excellent. This was the first time we had eaten in the Pinnacle and I was truly impressed with the service and the food. The only thing was that while we were eating, a family came in..grandparents, parents, one other adult and 5 or 6 kids under the age of 10. It kind of took away from the ambiance of the meal and setting. Although other patrons were tolerant of the increased noise level, I felt that this was not the appropriate restaurant for them. Made sure we sampled the fries and burgers at the Dive In....definitely worth the calories! Entertainment was ok. I was not impressed with the singer at the Piano Bar....His playing was fine but I felt his singing was not as good as others that I heard on previous ships. Loved my spa treatment...did a sampler. It was so good that I convinced my husband to treat himself to one! I think he is hooked!

Weather in Juno was rainy and our tours were done in the rain...nothing was cancelled. We panned for gold and went to Sawyer Glacier where we got really close to the glacier and saw lots of seals and several pods of whales. Tuesday, we got off in Skagway. It was terribly windy....so much so that there were supposed to be 4 ships in port and we were the only one that actually made it in. We had the whole town to ourselves. Tours involving helicopters and planes were all cancelled. Our tour to the glacier safari also got cancelled. We ended up taking a mushers tour to fill the time. We also took the Ghost and Good Time Girls walking tour. Loved it! Lots of fun and info about a time that I wasn't too familiar with. Overall, had a great time and would not hesitate to take another trip on the Noordam!