Alaska in rainy weather

1stime88

Unless there is fog down to the water Hubbard will still be spectacular. It’s been more of an issue of getting close to the face than the weather. Ice frequently doesn’t allow the ships to get close at times, or so they say. The last time we were there we only got within 12 miles. Close can mean a mile away.

We had overcast and somewhat drizzly days for both the Hubbard and Glacier Bay. Low lying fog just made the glaciers more magical and the blue color more spectacular. We were able to get to within a mile of both of the big glaciers.

Alaska weather is unpredictable and forecasts more than 24 hours out are worthless.

The key to Alaska weather: Hope for the best, plan for the worse and have fun no matter what.

Thanks...this is also my mind set on Sept 4th ;)

For what it's worth, it was raining steadily on the day that we went to Glacier bay in July 2014 and it was still great, with lots of calving activity. When we went in May 2015, it was sunny, but hardly any calving. Also great, but in a different way.

I just wanted to add that if it is rainy and very overcast it might not be as spectacular as it would be on a sunny day. But that does not take away from how unique the day will be. But yes dress well for this. To me the key is to layer not only if it is rainy but also if it is cold.

Alaska is one of those places that you can return to often because there is not only so much to see but also because seeing it with different types of weather gives you different perspectives.

Have a great time.

Keith

When we were in Glacier Bay it was bright sunshine and I thought it was glorious. There were people on the ship who said that on cloudy days the glaciers are more blue and gorgeous. I guess you should just enjoy whatever weather you get since its beyond your control.

Stay posative! Weather can be from rainy to warm enough for shorts in August. The whales, bears and mountains will still be there. Just take rain pants to wear over your shorts. On one trip, it was so rainy in at Mendenhall Glacier that it shorted out my digital camera yet we saw enough bears (1 in a tree) and salmon to still be happy.

As for Hubbard Glacier, even if you don't make it all the way in, it is still spectacular, 2nd only to GB. At GB, the glaciers still calve in the rain. The sharp cracking sound is unforgettable.

Oh yes, the coast of Alaska does get its share of rain. But as many posts here suggest, glacier calving viewing can be just as good rain or shine.

I find that weather forecasting up here has greatly improved in quality during recent years. My wife doesn't agree, but she wasn't flying for a living like I did for over a dozen years in bush Alaska, where paying close attention to weather conditions was directly connected to ones longevity. I did not want to join those pilots who enjoyed the "short care free life of the scud runner." I find the following observation generally accurate:

"The improvement in short-range forecasting has been achieved thanks to a huge increase in the number of global observations, better numerical models, and the rise of supercomputers, weather scientists say.

Scores of geo-stationary and polar orbiting satellites bristling with a variety of sensors - along with hundreds of land, sea and air weather stations - contribute about two billion observations a day to the National Weather Service and other weather authorities around the world.

"The instruments are much better quality now and we have many more of them,"

Here is good link to Alaska weather forecasts by area. Also here is a shot I took on our last cruise to Hubbard, this was in late May. I got a sun burn that day. http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?wmo=FPAK51PAFC&type=public

130.jpg.3b7374a6e6643a920c85f6db479834d4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
So, how was your weather in Alaska? :)

It was actually good! It only drizzled on Glacier bay day! The rest of the days were cold but dry!

There was a little bit of fog that covered some peaks, but we were still able to see a lot and it was beautiful!