Live From the Caribbean Princess Iceland & Norway Explorer Sept. 5th 2015

Woobstr112G

Enjoy your last day on board Bob. So sad when a cruise comes to an end but I'm glad you had a great time. I will look for your pictures when you put them up on Flickr.

We did that route once and it was awesome for us. We did get into Greenland. Looks like they have cut out the Greenland portion. The weather was often responsible for skipped ports.

Very considerate of you to skip the excursion due to a cough. I wish more people would do that. There were so many people coughing and sneezing on the busses during our Alaska excursions a couple of weeks ago that I thought it would be a miracle if I escaped it. Of course I didn't and am still fighting it more than two weeks later. Take care of yourself and safe travels home.

I am hoping to keep her away from the shops today, especially the Effy store. Our last visit to the establishment was good for her and not so good for the outstanding balance on my Princess Visa card:eek:.

Just think of that 2% back you can get by using the card on the ship.

Just think of that 2% back you can get by using the card on the ship.

Using my Princess Visa is a great way to redeem points for OBC's. I'll have b/t 1k and 1500 of OBC's all set up for next year's itinerary. Tack on another 250 for the military credit and life is good.....:):):)

Bob

Enjoy your last day on board Bob. So sad when a cruise comes to an end but I'm glad you had a great time. I will look for your pictures when you put them up on Flickr.

We did that route once and it was awesome for us. We did get into Greenland. Looks like they have cut out the Greenland portion. The weather was often responsible for skipped ports.

When we did that route the first time (on the old original Royal I believe), we couldn't make it into Greenland, but did get into Newfoundland. Our ship was the very first one that had ever come into that port and the whole town turned out to greet us; marching bands and all.

Good evening from the Caribbean Princess. We just returned from our final dinner in the Palm dining room. Service and food were great. The Baked Alaska was, as always, delicious. After dinner I went to the Internet cafe where I printed out our boarding passes. Encountered a surprise when I noticed that our flights were switched to two hours earlier. Ran to passenger services and got an earlier debarkation time. I also called American to verify we would have enough time between flights when we got to Chicago. The layover time only changed 13 minutes so all is good.

Since I got some extra minutes to burn, I thought I'd mention a couple things I became aware of on the cruise. The first one deals with cruise credits as they relate to suites. I read on CC in the past that you wouldn't get 2x credits if you got the suite on a free upgrade. I also read that you would get the 2x credits if you paid money as a result of an up sell offer. While purchasing my future cruise credits, I was told by the future cruise sales person that you only get the 2x credits if you originally book the suite or upgrade while paying the full upgrade price. The second issue deals with Icelandic money. I tried to cash in some extra Kronas and discovered the machines wouldn't take them. Passenger services told me the ship does not exchange the ISK's.....

Bob

The first one deals with cruise credits as they relate to suites. I read on CC in the past that you wouldn't get 2x credits if you got the suite on a free upgrade. I also read that you would get the 2x credits if you paid money as a result of an up sell offer. While purchasing my future cruise credits, I was told by the future cruise sales person that you only get the 2x credits if you originally book the suite or upgrade while paying the full upgrade price.

Don't pay attention to the future cruise sales person. The future cruise consultant has nothing to do with processing the cruise credits. Also no one at Princess sells upsells except one department - other representatives don't handle them.

I was in a full suite on a trans-Atlantic on the Ocean Princess last December on a paid upsell. The Princess upsell representative who sold me the upsell told me I would get double credits but that I would have to call after the cruise to get them. After the cruise, I called, and I had no problem getting the extra cruise credit. My Cruise History now has two separate entries for that cruise - the first one is for 1 credit and 18 days, and the second one is for 1 credit and 0 days.

The second issue deals with Icelandic money. I tried to cash in some extra Kronas and discovered the machines wouldn't take them. Passenger services told me the ship does not exchange the ISK's.....

No problem. You already have your Kronas for the trans-Atlantic next year.:)

21407101738_49636e612e.jpg

Good morning from the Caribbean Princess. We are docked at the Brooklyn terminal (I think). Sailing into New York City was very nice. Holli & I are scheduled to get off the ship at 1015. Hopefully we'll have an easy time getting to LGA when we finally get off the ship. I can't wait till we pick Misha up tomorrow as Holli & I have missed him tremendously.

I really enjoy posting about my experiences while I cruise. I hope that my information was both enjoyable to read and informative. Look for me again next September when I'll hopefully be able to once again report on my travels. I'll probably make one more post later in the week advising that I'm done uploading all my pictures. Until then, I wish everyone Fair Winds and a Following Sea.

Take Care All.....:):):)

Bob

Don't pay attention to the future cruise sales person. The future cruise consultant has nothing to do with processing the cruise credits. Also no one at Princess sells upsells except one department - other representatives don't handle them.

I was in a full suite on a trans-Atlantic on the Ocean Princess last December on a paid upsell. The Princess upsell representative who sold me the upsell told me I would get double credits but that I would have to call after the cruise to get them. After the cruise, I called, and I had no problem getting the extra cruise credit. My Cruise History now has two separate entries for that cruise - the first one is for 1 credit and 18 days, and the second one is for 1 credit and 0 days.

Thanks for the 2x credits info. I'll make the call when I get home.....:):):)

Bob

Good morning from the Caribbean Princess. We are docked at the Brooklyn terminal (I think). Sailing into New York City was very nice. Holli & I are scheduled to get off the ship at 1015. Hopefully we'll have an easy time getting to LGA when we finally get off the ship. I can't wait till we pick Misha up tomorrow as Holli & I have missed him tremendously.

I really enjoy posting about my experiences while I cruise. I hope that my information was both enjoyable to read and informative. Look for me again next September when I'll hopefully be able to once again report on my travels. I'll probably make one more post later in the week advising that I'm done uploading all my pictures. Until then, I wish everyone Fair Winds and a Following Sea.

Bob

Thanks for doing this Live, Bob. Enjoyed reading it very much.

When we did that route the first time (on the old original Royal I believe), we couldn't make it into Greenland, but did get into Newfoundland. Our ship was the very first one that had ever come into that port and the whole town turned out to greet us; marching bands and all.

Pia, we had the same experience. They also paraded the school children so they could see the cruisers. I didn't last very long in port. Before disembarking, the Captain said you will probably spend more time in line to get back on the ship than you spend walking around. We bought a few hand painted pictures from the locals and headed back. The bugs were horrendous.

Bob

Thanks for sharing this wonderful adventure with us Bob. Look forward to meeting you and Holly on next year's adventure.

Safe home.

Ruth-Ann

I was traveling alone a couple of years ago in a mini and a few weeks before the cruise they notified me that I was given a free upgrade to a full suite. I noticed that they gave me 1 credit but who was I to question such bounty. It was so magnificent I never wanted to leave the suite....I could have easily entertained 20 people. I referred a couple with 2 teens to a particular cruise over Thanksgiving and they got 2 connecting balconies. A few days before they left for Europe they got the call that for free they had been upgraded to a family suite. He had the presence of mind to ask why them and was told there were very few families with children on that particular sailing. These two "huge gifts" have made me a Princess fan forever. Mike

Edited by bobby3334

Good evening from the Caribbean Princess. We just returned from our final dinner in the Palm dining room. Service and food were great. The Baked Alaska was, as always, delicious. After dinner I went to the Internet cafe where I printed out our boarding passes. Encountered a surprise when I noticed that our flights were switched to two hours earlier. Ran to passenger services and got an earlier debarkation time. I also called American to verify we would have enough time between flights when we got to Chicago. The layover time only changed 13 minutes so all is good.

Since I got some extra minutes to burn, I thought I'd mention a couple things I became aware of on the cruise. The first one deals with cruise credits as they relate to suites. I read on CC in the past that you wouldn't get 2x credits if you got the suite on a free upgrade. I also read that you would get the 2x credits if you paid money as a result of an up sell offer. While purchasing my future cruise credits, I was told by the future cruise sales person that you only get the 2x credits if you originally book the suite or upgrade while paying the full upgrade price. The second issue deals with Icelandic money. I tried to cash in some extra Kronas and discovered the machines wouldn't take them. Passenger services told me the ship does not exchange the ISK's.....

Bob

You do bring up an important point and that money of many countries is not "hard". This mean they are rarely if ever able to be turned back to dollars or euros outside the country itself (and sometime not even in the country). Therefore I am always careful to get only a few whatever if not "hard". But on the other hand I am not a big shopper. Taxis in these countries almost always take $ (US, Aust, Canadian) or euros. I hardly ever change money or even use credit cards......probably the exception. On another matter I am always a little perplexed about the numbers buying diamonds and original art since the mark up is so huge and frankly don't seem to be people who would buy these things at home. But there must be plenty of money to be made or cruise lines wouldn't feature these items so heavily. Mike

Exactly our experience in November 2014 - including the advice from the upsell rep!

Edited by capriccio

welcome-desi-glitters-35.gif Home Holli & Bob!

We have been following you review from the start! It is always fun to live vicariously through others! Betty & I have been enjoying your comments as they are the down to earth statements that remind us of what would be doing and saying!

Hope that the two of you had as great a time as it sounded. We only hope that sometime in the future we are fortunate enough to be able to cruise with you and Holli!

Can hardly wait until we can relive it once again through you pictures on Flickr. So relax and get settled in and then after you have taken several deep breaths remember that everyone enjoys your review and pictures.

We hope that we will have as much fun on our next cruise on Oct. 17 on the Crown Princess! (Hawaii, Samoa & Tahiti!)

Just Mike & Betty