Being Left Alone

travelingtoes

I'm considering traveling solo. I'm married..but he

So any married women with kids who travel solo out there....would you mind telling me your reasoning? Does dh get pissed? I know mine doesn't care when I go with the girls and is no way jealous of other men anyway.... Frankly he doesn't care nor do I lol.... But I know he would be difficult if I went alone

Just would like to hear some various reasons and stories of solo travel.

I'm married and go alone. We used to travel together, my husband would now rather stay home. I get asked a lot if he minds if I go without him. My honest response is I don't care if he minds...he doesn't want to go! As some others mentioned, there is a lot to see out there, and I want to see it!

Hmmm... I have been seated many times as a solo at tables with couples. No wives ever got miffed. Apparently I'm not threatening enough. I'll work on that :p

I don't think I'm threatening at all but I've had some issues with wives. It humors me because I've never found the husbands in question to be a great prize (I feel like telling the wife, "they're lucky they have you honey.")

On one cruise I was at a table for 10 (4 married couples and me). One of the husbands was very outgoing and funny. We ALL enjoyed his company but the wife didn't seem to appreciate his attention to me. So, after a night or two of icy stares, I made a point of trying to draw out the wife - just superficial conversation, nothing all that interesting (she barely spoke at all during dinner but also didn't seem to be shy). Well, I soon won her over and by the end of the cruise I got a big hug from her.

Hah. As a (relatively!) younger female who likes to travel alone, I'll have to keep this in mind and try not to frighten anyone.

I could get a t-shirt made:

"I ALREADY HAVE ONE AT HOME, I DON'T WANT YOURS"

;)

"Really, he's not all that " would be shorter :)

The biggest problem I see is in the MDR. Tables for 2 are like hens teeth and at larger tables, I have seen singles paired so there are no open seats. Good luck.

You hit it on the head. RCL had actual tables for two separated. Carnival choose to keep them together which I am not looking forward to when I go single in 17 days!

I pretty much just order and eat fast so I am not worried. Just the close proximity will be weird.

Is it possible to cruise completely alone? Or will people be constantly trying to make you join their group or their dining table because they feel bad for you?

I'm intrigued by the solo cruising, but I would like to be left alone. Would be wonderful to have a few days to just do my own thing and not have to talk to anyone.

I'm not anti-social, I promise.

Going on my third single cruise. Last one I did get a bit bored on the last day with no one to talk to. It was a sea day so that may have been part of it.

Edited by glentally

You hit it on the head. RCL had actual tables for two separated. Carnival choose to keep them together which I am not looking forward to when I go single in 17 days!

I pretty much just order and eat fast so I am not worried. Just the close proximity will be weird.

Maybe it has changed over the last year or two, as I understand Carnival is doing a lot of remodeling and upgrading of ship designs.

But two or more years ago I never had problems finding a table for two to seat at by myself. At the time I was travelling with someone else but plenty of times would eat alone in the main dinning rooms.

The last few trips in the last year+ have been planned solo trips so I went out of my way to eat at group tables.

Have others also found it hard to find small tables for two on Carnival.

I am asking because my next trip will be a long one on the Carnival Dream, and I am sure there will be days when I just want to eat by myself without a lot of chat.

Hmmm... I have been seated many times as a solo at tables with couples. No wives ever got miffed. Apparently I'm not threatening enough. I'll work on that :p

Great answer:D...I have also been seated with couples many times

before and don't recall any "wife issues"....and I always sail solo too.

Some wives must be really insecure......maybe you and I don't give

off that threatening vibe?:p

As for being alone/by yourself.....to the original poster.....I enjoy

meeting people but after 12 years of cruising solo, you should be able

to have the all "alone time" you want....you don't need to do anything

you don't want....you are on a cruise:D.....don't participate in any

activities, if you want to have a drink, get it from the bar and go

find a secluded area to sit....for dinner, ask to be seated on your

own.

Everyone has different ways to enjoy themselves and if you want

to be alone for the entire cruise, you should be able to without any

issues.

Fabulous.

I'm a solo guy and have never had any husband feel threatened by me. Then again, perhaps they'd be HAPPY if someone took their wives away! :rolleyes:

They are probably married to the women who are convinced solo women are after their husbands.

After my husband passed away, it was very clear that many or our friends (couples) considered me a pariah. One went so far as to say that having an unattached person at her table would mess up the seating. Funny, when DH and I attended dinner parties at her house, she never seemed to have that issue with an unattached male.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm married and go alone. We used to travel together, my husband would now rather stay home. I get asked a lot if he minds if I go without him. My honest response is I don't care if he minds...he doesn't want to go! As some others mentioned, there is a lot to see out there, and I want to see it!

Yes, it's interesting that many people ask me why my husband lets me travel without him. Lets me? I'm not an indentured servant. :rolleyes:

What's really funny is that when he travels for work and I'm alone, no one wonders about whether I'll eat or have clean underwear. I leave him for a week, and you'd think I'd abandoned him--my mother is always hoping he won't starve. I tell her he's an adult, and he knows where the grocery store is. And the washing machine.

Hah. As a (relatively!) younger female who likes to travel alone, I'll have to keep this in mind and try not to frighten anyone.

I could get a t-shirt made:

"I ALREADY HAVE ONE AT HOME, I DON'T WANT YOURS"

;)

Love it Perditax....My mom & I love to cruise and have encountered the neg vib...but not so bad that you can't turn it around and have a great time with people who are not so paranoid.

• 3 weeks later...
Fabulous.

I'm a solo guy and have never had any husband feel threatened by me. Then again, perhaps they'd be HAPPY if someone took their wives away! :rolleyes:

"When you look at the beautiful woman - think that there is a man tired of sleeping with her"

Excusez mon Français

The BF and I just got back from a 4 day cruise together (his first). We had a good time but we both agreed that we're looking forward to our week of "me" time (respectively) when I go solo again in December. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Take a look at NCL Epic Dec 9th out of Barcelona.

Price for 10 days European cruise cannot be beat even counting plane tickets.

My 3 GFs voted and gave me a pass in 2 to 1 split decision... so ... I AM GOING!!!

Take a look at NCL Epic Dec 9th out of Barcelona.

Price for 10 days European cruise cannot be beat even counting plane tickets.

My 3 GFs voted and gave me a pass in 2 to 1 split decision... so ... I AM GOING!!!

That is a great deal. $1124 plus port charges for a solo balcony WITH the beverage package (or other perk of your choice) AND a $100 OBC, per the NCL site. I am all set to book a 7 day Caribbean starting on 12/5, but wow, this might just be a better choice. Several ports I haven't visited yet. Hmm.

The only drawback is that the day in Naples is a Tuesday, when the archaeological museum is closed. I've had 2 visits to Naples already and I haven't made it to that museum yet.

Hmm.

That is a great deal. $1124 plus port charges for a solo balcony WITH the beverage package (or other perk of your choice) AND a $100 OBC, per the NCL site. I am all set to book a 7 day Caribbean starting on 12/5, but wow, this might just be a better choice. Several ports I haven't visited yet. Hmm.

The only drawback is that the day in Naples is a Tuesday, when the archaeological museum is closed. I've had 2 visits to Naples already and I haven't made it to that museum yet.

Hmm.

you might qualify for that if you are AARP member - but you or agent MUST call

http://www.ncl.com/promo/aarp

• 1 month later...
Is it possible to cruise completely alone? Or will people be constantly trying to make you join their group or their dining table because they feel bad for you?

I'm intrigued by the solo cruising, but I would like to be left alone. Would be wonderful to have a few days to just do my own thing and not have to talk to anyone.

I'm not anti-social, I promise.

Most people are so wrapped up in themselves they won't even notice that you are alone. Unless you make the first move you certainly won't be "bothered".

Maybe it is because I have white hair, but no women seem to be threatened by me.

I've always managed to keep myself to myself when I want to on board ship. I do like to chat to others, but sit alone with my kindle when I want to.

I have reached the stage where I sometimes travel (in separate cabins) with friends I have made on other cruises. We meet up for dinner, and occasionally throughout the cruise, but we certainly are not joined at the hip.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been married for 30 years and as I love cruising and my OH hates it, I frequently cruise alone. And no, he doesn't mind at all.

I do sometimes have issues with wives, one of whom once asked the waiter to seat me somewhere else at lunch because "we don't want singles on our table." I asked the waiter quite loudly if he's very much mind seating me at a table where there were people with some manners.

On my last cruise I was on a table for 6 in the MDR: four solo ladies and a couple. after 2 nights the couple vanished. they spent the rest of the cruise hiding from us ha ha! Daft people! None of the ladies was after the husband!

I've been married for 30 years and as I love cruising and my OH hates it, I frequently cruise alone. And no, he doesn't mind at all.

I do sometimes have issues with wives, one of whom once asked the waiter to seat me somewhere else at lunch because "we don't want singles on our table." I asked the waiter quite loudly if he's very much mind seating me at a table where there were people with some manners.

On my last cruise I was on a table for 6 in the MDR: four solo ladies and a couple. after 2 nights the couple vanished. they spent the rest of the cruise hiding from us ha ha! Daft people! None of the ladies was after the husband!

Good for you - shaming those silly people. If the woman was worried about you being after her husband - I wonder what he had done in the past!