San Fran Safety?

captdave

My main frustration on a 1994 visit was people trying to sell me expired bus and cable car tickets as good. Do they still do that?

In my visits since 1994, I haven't been taking public transit as friends have been offering to drive me around.

No, now they just "acquire" the whole book of tickets and sell you one that's good all day :cool:

Thanks

Most of you understood what I was looking for.

I'm staying in San Fran next to the Oakland Bay Bridge (just north of it, very nice hotel.

I should have booked the trip out of San Diego instead, less problems (booked it 15 months ago)???

As for myself, I've been everywhere. Put a pin in a map, been there (probable many times).

This is how I use to get everywhere, G-IV Captain.

N919CT Crew & Handler Buenos Aries, just dropped off Al & Tipper Gore (I took the point & shoot).

13582870025_3f047f7a6e_c.jpg

CaptDave

Well I have been to San Francisco many, many times. Most recently in May. I walk. I take public transport. By myself. We stayed by the wharf in May, no problems. Walked to dinner in North Beach and other places. I have never felt unsafe in San Francisco.

Yes, there are homeless people in San Francisco. There are homeless people in Minneapolis as well. And probably every city in the country. I have never felt threatened by them.

You didn't hear about the Tourist Girl killed in the arms of her father just a couple months ago???

I need people who are there NOW, not last year or years ago.

CaptDave

I was there yesterday, a week ago, and will be there again this weekend. San Francisco is just as safe as any big city. Just be aware of the homeless and the extreme mentally ill walking the street. Tenderloin district is probably the most dangerous. I've never had any issues at any time while in The City. For your info, only tourists call it San Fran.

I was there yesterday, a week ago, and will be there again this weekend. San Francisco is just as safe as any big city. Just be aware of the homeless and the extreme mentally ill walking the street. Tenderloin district is probably the most dangerous. I've never had any issues at any time while in The City. For your info, only tourists call it San Fran.

99% of Professional Pilots call it San Fran, I will stick with them!

Thanks

CaptDave

San Francisco Native here.

Stands on Soapbox: Remember the term "military industrial complex"? San Francisco has its own "homeless industrial complex". For the past couple of decades San Francisco spends over $100 million a year on the homeless and what does it get? Stands off Soapbox.

Bruin Steve probably gave the best advice.

Stay in the tourist areas, but don't act like a tourist, be situation aware.

Appears that Seattle has the same concept. The same person who told me they take credit cards also said many of the homeless pack up for the night and head out to their apartments or condos. This was somewhat confirmed by wife and I when we were on the monorail and saw one of the homeless women with her dog walking a couple of blocks from where she had been stationed. She was getting into her pretty new Nissan Sentra and driving away.

Thanks

CaptDave

They are wrong and will immediately be labeled as noobs by native Californians (such as myself).

I cannot believe the postings here! I've been to San Francisco many, many times and visit at least twice a year and I have never felt unsafe, except once walking through the Tenderloin and would avoid that area. It is a BEAUTIFUL city with tons to see and do.

There are some people who should just stay home on their couch.

CaptDave

Various posts accurately comment you will be safe in the main tourist areas. The sketchy areas have little of interest to visitors (Union Square/Civic Center a possible exception) and the "bad" areas are obvious when you see them. The common-sense precautions required in any major city apply in San Francisco.

Now that locals and us other Californians have confirmed it's just as safe as any American city, it's interesting and sometimes sad to see the result of the "sanctuary city" policy that embraces and protects illegal immigrants, the homeless, and the mentally ill. The City has a unique vibe and culture, both good and bad. Isn't that why we travel? If you want things exactly like at home, no problem....but stay home where everything is a relative certainty!

Your rather condescending "San Fran" comment speaks volumes.

Thanks all, I have enough info.

Sad this is not the wonderful place I visited just a few years ago.

Got what I need, thanks.

CaptDave

It's still a wonderful place. For someone who has traveled as much as you say you have you're incredibly naive if you think the issues you're reading here are unique to only San Francisco. Take it from a native of the San Francisco Bay Area, it's San Francisco, not San Fran.

Thanks

CaptDave

Then the pilots are wrong and more likely tourist themselves. It's not called San Fran or even worse, Frisco. I still feel safer in San Francisco than when I spent time in your home state of NewJ, I mean New Jersey.

Edited by YubaSutter

I appreciate the thread and all of the comments! I will be staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area for about a day and a half, breaking up my flights from Singapore to home. Don't expect to do much sightseeing, but do want to visit Gharadelli's store and have a nice dinner at a good seafood restaurant in the area.

Appears that Seattle has the same concept. The same person who told me they take credit cards also said many of the homeless pack up for the night and head out to their apartments or condos. This was somewhat confirmed by wife and I when we were on the monorail and saw one of the homeless women with her dog walking a couple of blocks from where she had been stationed. She was getting into her pretty new Nissan Sentra and driving away.

1. Many homeless are mentally ill.

2. Most have dogs for protection and companionship. Many will feed their dog before themselves

3. You know some people live in their cars, right?

4. Never saw a homeless person take a credit card. I actually laughed out loud at this! Whoever told you this probably thinks Jimmy Hendrix is still alive and living at Bill Gates' house.

5. Stay in beautiful New Jersey.

I appreciate the thread and all of the comments! I will be staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area for about a day and a half, breaking up my flights from Singapore to home. Don't expect to do much sightseeing, but do want to visit Gharadelli's store and have a nice dinner at a good seafood restaurant in the area.

McCormick and Kuleto's. We have eaten there dozens and dozens of times and the seafood is always outstanding.

From their website:

McCormick & Kuleto’s Seafood & Steaks is located in San Francisco’s historic Ghirardelli Square. Enjoy a delicious, specially prepared meal in our dining room, which features expansive views of the San Francisco Bay, Alcatraz Island, Aquatic Park, Angel Island and the marina.

OP - It's a short taxi ride from where you are staying.

San Francisco.."The City" is Beautiful!

Like any place in America and the World...

The Media always post the "Bad" stuff, not

so much the "Good"

And sorry to say there is "homeless" everywhere

not just San Francisco. Just be aware like you

always are wherever you travel.

Visit and enjoy...Walk, enjoy the cable car ect!

Well I have been to San Francisco many, many times. Most recently in May. I walk. I take public transport. By myself. We stayed by the wharf in May, no problems. Walked to dinner in North Beach and other places. I have never felt unsafe in San Francisco.

Yes, there are homeless people in San Francisco. There are homeless people in Minneapolis as well. And probably every city in the country. I have never felt threatened by them.

The folks up in Duluth refer to those of us that live in the Twin City's as

"Citidiots". Maybe they're right.

And sorry to say there is "homeless" everywhere

not just San Francisco. Just be aware like you

always are wherever you travel.

Basically "Go West" is the principle of the homeless. All cities along the West Coast have a bigger homeless problem with less winter snow. Some even make it to Hawaii where they make the beaches their homes.