Traditional Dining on Long Port Days?

CruiserGVMN

We are doing the Grand Mediterranean cruise in October and are confirmed for 5:45 pm Traditional Dining. Several of our port days and excursions extend beyond our set dining time.

Does anyone have experience with this situation....would our only dining option be the buffet or would we be allowed into Anytime?

Thanks for any insight!

I recently learned on another thread that you can call the dining room before you leave the ship, and request a change from the first seating to the second seating in the MDR for that evening.

That's not true. Traditional diners do not get to switch their times or go to Anytime dining. What sometimes happens is that after a long port day, all of the dining rooms will revert to Anytime Dining. But that is certainly not every night. The buffet is always available, of course.

I know of a couple of instances where a couple was accommodated at either late traditional or AT, probably because there was space.

If that happened, it was a rare occasion. People should not go on a cruise expecting to eat where ever and when ever they please in spite of their assigned dining times and program.

If that happened, it was a rare occasion. People should not go on a cruise expecting to eat where ever and when ever they please in spite of their assigned dining times and program.

Agreed. One was an instance where had a headache or not feeling well at 6pm and felt better for 8pm or whenever the time was.

Does anyone have experience with this situation....would our only dining option be the buffet or would we be allowed into Anytime?

Thanks for any insight!

You can absolutely switch to Anytime before your cruise starts. That might be the best option for you. And you might be able to switch to Anytime once you are on board. But it would be done on your first day and would be a permanent change. Your place in the Traditional Dining Room would then be offered up to someone on the waiting list. (There is almost always a waiting list and as a courtesy to those on it, you would want to make your change on the first day to let someone take your place). What you cannot do is flip-flop between Traditional and Anytime as the mood suits you. If you stick with Traditional and cannot make your seating, you can go to a Specialty Restaurant, or the buffet, or a poolside grill venue, or order room service.

I don't have expectations that we would be accommodated wherever we wanted to dine. I was just wondering if people had experience with this situation. Opening up all the dining rooms to anytime would benefit not only the traditional diners but he anytime folks too.

Thanks again.

I was on the same itinerary on the Island in July. I had chosen early traditional, (usually my preference) but a few weeks before the cruise after really getting a good understanding of all the ports and times I decided to change to Anytime dining. It was the best decision I could have made. I am one who believes traditional diners should NOT be able to just go the anytime dining room when they feel like it. If you are on the Island they will allow you to make a reservation between 5:30 and 6 or after 7:30. Dine-line hours I believe are 8-5. On my cruise the anytime dining room was very slow early in the evening and picked up later on. I did make a reservation a few nights, but probably was not really necessary. I think this is a better solution that going up to the buffet or trying to get yourselves into the anytime dining room. You'll be able to eat early on the days you are not in port late.

Enjoy this cruise, it is really a nice itinerary :)

I don't have expectations that we would be accommodated wherever we wanted to dine. I was just wondering if people had experience with this situation. Opening up all the dining rooms to anytime would benefit not only the traditional diners but he anytime folks too.

Thanks again.

Answers aren't only for your specific needs but also for anybody else in the future.

Chances are if it is truly a long port day you will not be the only ones getting back late. In which case the dining rooms will be made anytime to accommodate everyone.

Edited by waltd

We've only had one cruise where all main dining rooms were changed to Anytime due to the number of late excursions.

It has been our experience that when we come back from a long and late excursion we are either a) pretty tired, or b) not too pleasant smelling after a long bus ride or excursion. In those cases we have found that a meal in one of the buffets is usually the best for us. If really tired we grab a hamburger from the grill or something from the International Café.

We have found the evening offerings of the buffets to be quite satisfactory.

If we know we will have a lot of ports where our chosen excursion interferes with the early dining, we will consider booking Anytime dining out of fairness to prospective dining tablemates who would appreciate company while dining.

Just speak to your head waiter at your normal dining time. He will provide information on how to handle the situation.

After 7:30 extra dining space will be available for ATD, and that is where the head waiter may direct you.

Another suggestion is that you may wish to reserve these later tour nights for relaxing dining in one of the surcharge restaurants. Make reservations once on board.

When we have long tours we usually go to the buffet or grill and have a small meal. We are normally too tired to sit through a two hour meal. We just wish to have a burger, slice of pizza & a beer and relax.

Sometimes when there are late sailing times "traditional" dining becomes open seating. It depends on the Maitre'd how it's handled.

Thanks everyone for your replies. For the 2 long port/excursion days on our cruise, we'll most likely opt for speciality dining or hit the buffet for a quick meal. Will speak with the Maitre D ahead of time. We'll most likely be pretty tired anyways.

Thanks again!

Coral Princess - Panama Canal - late excursions (Princess) - all dining rooms were open seating. (we had late seating)

Island Princess - Grand Mediterranean - when overnighting in Venice - open seating - direct from this years Princess Patter.

I wouldn't worry about missing your dining time.

Yes. We had the exact same situation occur w/our Med cruise on the Emerald in July, that is, a 5:45pm traditional dining time. We soon discovered that we were mostly unable to make it after getting back from a late-afternoon excursion, showering (after being out all day in 85 degree heat, etc.) and readying ourselves. Accordingly, on more than half of our 14-day trip we simply presented ourselves at the Anytime dining venue when we were ready. It was absolutely no problem.

That's not true. Traditional diners do not get to switch their times or go to Anytime dining. .

Huh? Not sure where you got that idea. :o Yes indeed Princess allows traditional diners to head over to anytime dining at will. We saw it on the last 4 Princess cruises we have done in the last 2 years. Just last month on the Regal we sat staring at many empty tables every night in the traditional dining room. The assistant waiters were being pulled from our dining room to help with the anytime dining rooms as the assigned number of staff had to be adjusted on those nights when the lines formed outside the anytime dining rooms.

It is one of flaws we found on the Princess ships. By trying to please everyone, and not hold anyone to their initial choice of eating time, they are faced with the overcrowding in anytime rooms. They do the best they can.

But to your response, yes it would be NICE to see the Celebrity type of dining management and hold people to mdr dining choices. But no it is not that way on Princess.

Edited by eandj

Thanks everyone for your replies. For the 2 long port/excursion days on our cruise, we'll most likely opt for speciality dining or hit the buffet for a quick meal. Will speak with the Maitre D ahead of time. We'll most likely be pretty tired anyways.

Thanks again!

Or yes, go to an anytime dining room and have your full dinner. You will just be joining all the others who made that decision. And yes it is allowed on the Princess ships. They deal with it every night.

When I go on a cruise with long port days, I book my traditional dining for 8:15. That way I have time to shower and get ready after a long, hot day in port. Also, I don't inconvenience those with anytime dining by adding to the long wait times.

Edited by dtb55
added content

Huh? Not sure where you got that idea. :o Yes indeed Princess allows traditional diners to head over to anytime dining at will.

Okay, would you feel better if I reworded that? :rolleyes: Traditional diners do not get to switch their times or go to Anytime dining according to the rules on Princess. I know abuse happens (as evidenced by the numerous complaints here on CC) but I was answering a post where the person said it could be done at will by calling the MaitreD on any given day. That is not true. In the interest of providing useful information to the OP and others, it should also be pointed out that not every MaitreD on every ship will let the Traditional diners into Anytime or vice versa. We do new cruisers no service by telling them they can break the rules just because some do.