Westerdam broke down just out of Seattle

simcoeguy

I didn't do it! ;)

Seriously though, did you find out the reason for the power issue?

I just got off the Westerdam this morning (well.. OK, now yesterday morning, technically), and all seemed to be in working order. We had a lot of flickering/dimming lights at the beginning of the voyage, which I assumed was connected to the very high winds and high/rough seas. The pools and hot tubs were all wave pools, and the Hydropool actually had it's own wave CREST over the side and flood the room a bit when I was in it! It was pretty spectacular. They were definitely handing out a lot of seasickness meds the first few days there.

I'm sure you will have an amazing cruise. It is a beautiful ship, with lots of outstanding staff, crew, food, entertainment, etc. Just don't drink the ship coffee if you can help it! LOL. (at least, if you're a coffee snob like me)

I didn't do it! ;)

I just got off the Westerdam this morning (well.. OK, now yesterday morning, technically), and all seemed to be in working order. We had a lot of flickering/dimming lights at the beginning of the voyage, which I assumed was connected to the very high winds and high/rough seas. The pools and hot tubs were all wave pools, and the Hydropool actually had it's own wave CREST over the side and flood the room a bit when I was in it! It was pretty spectacular. They were definitely handing out a lot of seasickness meds the first few days there.

I'm sure you will have an amazing cruise. It is a beautiful ship, with lots of outstanding staff, crew, food, entertainment, etc. Just don't drink the ship coffee if you can help it! LOL. (at least, if you're a coffee snob like me)

sounds like you had a good cruise! Glad to hear it.

Thank you OP for the update. Glad she is underway.

I didn't do it! ;)

I hope you will write a more extensive review of your cruise. Wondering about formal night attire for an Alaskan cruise. How was the Westerdam's condition overall? We'll be on her next year to Alaska.

maybe the high seas caused the plug on the extension cord to come loose

I'm guessing it was much more complicated. I think that when the ship rolled in one direction all of the gas moved to that side of the tank so none could get to the engines. Likely caused by everyone moving to one side at the same time :D

Edited by frankc98376

Here are two screen "snips" of the Westerdam cruise track from last night (9-5-15) as it cruised to Port Angeles with it's power problems. I got these from the vessel tracker web site: https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9226891

Westerdam%209-6-15.jpg

Westerdam%202%209-1-15.jpg

This is a zoomed in view of the Westerdam track off the shore of Port Angeles. Looks like it drifted for a while waiting for the Coast Guard to show up. It then took off north for Alaska.

I'm guessing it was much more complicated. I think that when the ship rolled in one direction all of the gas moved to that side of the tank so none could get to the engines. Likely caused by everyone moving to one side at the same time :D

:D That must be it. :)

This is currently tied with the hamsters for my favourite explanation.

sounds like you had a good cruise! Glad to hear it.

Yes, I did!! :D

I hope you will write a more extensive review of your cruise. Wondering about formal night attire for an Alaskan cruise. How was the Westerdam's condition overall? We'll be on her next year to Alaska.

I will be posting an in-depth review, possibly broken up into multiple parts, very soon.

Very much looking forward to reading your review, we will be boarding next Saturday. We also were wondering about the formal dinners attire. And if you are able to see the northern lights. Thank for your posts! We hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Very much looking forward to reading your review, we will be boarding next Saturday. We also were wondering about the formal dinners attire. And if you are able to see the northern lights. Thank for your posts! We hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Didn't get to see any Northern Lights, but the glaciers MORE than made up for it!