Number of Passengers?

zlato

There is a site (which we can't mention) that posts percentages of how full a cruise is, but I don't believe it is accurate because no one outside HAL knows how many guarantees have been sold against the non-allocated cabins. Tell me your cruise and I'll tell you what % full they say.

There are some sites that show how many room are not full but they are TA sites and we cannot post them.

But no site other than a cruise lines own internal site would show how many people on board as factors that come into play are how many rooms have less or more than two people in them.

Keith

They may or may not tell you.
And if they give you a number it may or may not be true.

A couple of times on board I've asked at the front desk how full the ship was, and the answer has always been "full" when it is obviously not true. On a Prinsendam T-A asking others showed the correct answer to be about 2/3.

Edited by jtl513

And if they give you a number it may or may not be true.

A couple of times on board I've asked at the front desk how full the ship was, and the answer has always been "full" when it is obviously not true. On a Prinsendam T-A asking others showed the correct answer to be about 2/3. [/size][/font]

Two years ago PRDM was doing two TAs... Westbound followed by an eastbound. BOTH crossing were at 100%. I was just doing a short... two days from Bermuda to Lauderdale and was then back to Bermuda. I was able to get on board thanks to Seattle... in a spare staff cabin!

A lot of the time you may well have cabins available but the ship is over 100%... because third of fourth passenger in those cabins.

You may think there is less of the passenger numbers... but if 100 singles are sold... the numbers will show less than 100% but no cabins available. See the points?

Two years ago PRDM was doing two TAs... Westbound followed by an eastbound. BOTH crossing were at 100%.
If you are talking about May 2013, it's the westbound one that I'm talking about. (I remember you being on board.) One night the CD said there were 600 on board, our MDR head waiter said 500, and our cabin steward said 550. Double occupancy is 835 with the new cabins on the Promenade deck. 550/835 = 66% The cabin steward said that there were many empty veranda cabins and many singles on the Dolphin and Main decks. If you recall, they were not using the long section of dining room along the starboard side, at least for the early seating. The Lido was half empty any time we went there for lunch.

Edited by jtl513

Why would you like to know the number of passengers? Just curious. :)
A couple of guesses: (1) wondering how crowded the ship will be (2) wondering if there will be any price drops to fill a slow-selling cruise (2) wondering how much longer they can wait to make a decision before they are shut out Edited by jtl513

If you are talking about May 2013, it's the westbound one that I'm talking about. (I remember you being on board.) One night the CD said there were 600 on board, our MDR head waiter said 500, and our cabin steward said 550. Double occupancy is 835 with the new cabins on the Promenade deck. 550/835 = 66% The cabin steward said that there were many empty veranda cabins and many singles on the Dolphin and Main decks. If you recall, they were not using the long section of dining room along the starboard side, at least for the early seating. The Lido was half empty any time we went there for lunch.

Quite possible.... yes, thinking back you are quite right. The return leg was full.... could be was given a staff cabin so I did not have to move in Lauderdale. I never used in the MDR... just Canaletto and one of my favourites. Several cruises in PRDM... once in MDR... prefer the long dining room.

Stephen, obviously you have better connections and clout with HAL than most (all?) of the rest of us, but I have found them occasionally accommodating about booking you on a non-cataloged cruise segment. I live in NJ just across from Manhattan and in one instance some years back had booked a Ft. Lauderdale to Acapulco on Rotterdam V. Then I saw that Rotterdam was in NYC, the last port of its World Cruise before terminating in Ft. Lauderdale 2 days later. Though the NYC to Lauderdale wasn't a "segment" they did accommodate me on that leg, then staying on for the regular cruise to follow.

Stephen, obviously you have better connections and clout with HAL than most (all?) of the rest of us, but I have found them occasionally accommodating about booking you on a non-cataloged cruise segment. I live in NJ just across from Manhattan and in one instance some years back had booked a Ft. Lauderdale to Acapulco on Rotterdam V. Then I saw that Rotterdam was in NYC, the last port of its World Cruise before terminating in Ft. Lauderdale 2 days later. Though the NYC to Lauderdale wasn't a "segment" they did accommodate me on that leg, then staying on for the regular cruise to follow.
That surprises me a little since NYC to FLL is a violation of the PVSA. I guess the fact that you were staying on to Mexico made it OK even though that cruise terminated in FL.

If you type the name of the ship in the search box on Wikipedia you will find the number of passengers and loads of other facts about any ship.

For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Ryndam

But that's only capacity OP wants to know, it seems, how many will actually be on board.

In my experience there's not generally much difference between the two.

That surprises me a little since NYC to FLL is a violation of the PVSA. I guess the fact that you were staying on to Mexico made it OK even though that cruise terminated in FL.

The staying on for the cruise to follow would overcome the PVSA (as long as it was complying).

For sure... if it is legal... the no reason to not do it... and no reason why HAL should not make money!

My little run... Bda/Lauderdale/Bda was last second trip. The Hotel Manager called a few days before and asked me to come on as a guest lecturer... and came on for the five day run. I don't do the lecture circuit with HAL... I prefer my freedom and my own rules... as passenger. ;-) Once in a while I'll do a talk with pax.... just for fun.

Stephen

Quite possible.... yes, thinking back you are quite right. The return leg was full.... could be was given a staff cabin so I did not have to move in Lauderdale. I never used in the MDR... just Canaletto and one of my favourites. Several cruises in PRDM... once in MDR... prefer the long dining room.

For sure the return leg was sold out - we were on it :) The cruise was sold out before final payment! We prefer the long dining room as well.

enjoyed sailing with you Stephen and thanks again for speaking at our Meet and Greet :)

There is a site (which we can't mention) that posts percentages of how full a cruise is, but I don't believe it is accurate because no one outside HAL knows how many guarantees have been sold against the non-allocated cabins. Tell me your cruise and I'll tell you what % full they say.

how about the Zaandam South America cruise for March 20, 2016?

how about the Zaandam South America cruise for March 20, 2016?
The site says for the 14 nt to Valparaiso 40%, and for either the 34 nt to San Diego or the 38 nt to Vancouver 38%.

BTW, OP zlato: for your 50 nt leaving 9-27-15 the site says 89%. Since you are now down to the period of upsells and guarantee assignments I expect that number will increase soon.

Edited by jtl513

The site says for the 14 nt to Valparaiso 40%, and for either the 34 nt to San Diego or the 38 nt to Vancouver 38%.

BTW, OP zlato: for your 50 nt leaving 9-27-15 the site says 89%. Since you are now down to the period of upsells and guarantee assignments I expect that number will increase soon.

thank you!!!:)

This kind of information (actual manifest numbers) is commercially sensitive information. In my view it would be extremely irregular for a common carrier of any kind to release that type of information before departure.
I agree ... but the numbers I'm citing aren't being "given out" by HAL. The site is run by a TA, and they are estimating (IMO) the percentage sold for all cruises on all the major lines. Edited by jtl513