Jewelry found in safe

We just ended our 3 day cruise on The Enchantment of the Seas out of Port Canaveral on Sept 4th. We did a final sweep of our room and ran our hand along the inside of the safe, just in case and we found a necklace and 2 rings that were inside. I am hoping to find the rightful owner and wanted to leave them at Guest Services, but the line was too long this morning and we needed to leave the ship. I will contact RCCL as well when we return home to see if by chance anyone has been looming for them. I have no idea if it would have been from the cruise right before ours or not??

Edited by Midwest Smiles

We just ended our 3 day cruise on The Enchantment of the Seas out of Port Canaveral on Sept 4th. We did a final sweep of our room and ran our hand along the inside of the safe, just in case and we found a necklace and 2 rings that were inside. Our cabin was 8573. I am hoping to find the rightful owner and wanted to leave them at Guest Services, but the line was too long this morning and we needed to leave the ship. I will contact RCCL as well when we return home to see if by chance anyone has been looming for them. I have no idea if it would have been from the cruise right before ours or not??

Find the Roll Call from the sailing on Enchantment. Put something up on there that you found jewelry in the cabin safe on the very last night before you left the ship. Don't give more information. Ask people to contact you if they lost jewelry; but your private email there for responses. Start by asking for the cabin number. If someone does give you the correct cabin number perhaps they can then describe what the jewelry looked like.

It probably is like looking for a needle in a haystack....but give it the 'good old college try' as well as reaching out to RCCL.

We just ended our 3 day cruise on The Enchantment of the Seas out of Port Canaveral on Sept 4th. We did a final sweep of our room and ran our hand along the inside of the safe, just in case and we found a necklace and 2 rings that were inside. I am hoping to find the rightful owner and wanted to leave them at Guest Services, but the line was too long this morning and we needed to leave the ship. I will contact RCCL as well when we return home to see if by chance anyone has been looming for them. I have no idea if it would have been from the cruise right before ours or not??

If there was a line, I would have put them in an envelope, marked it lost and found with cabin number and handed it to someone behind the desk. You didn't have to wait in a line to do that.

No way I would have taken off that ship

Edited by SeaUs

Here is the telephone number for Post Customer Service....................1-800-256-6649. These are the folks that handle Lost & Found Calls.

If there was a line, I would have put them in an envelope, marked it lost and found with cabin number and handed it to someone behind the desk. You didn't have to wait in a line to do that.

No way I would have taken off that ship

While your suggested course of action is certainly one good option, I'm curious as to why you feel so strongly against taking them off the ship. The OP's approach seems quite reasonable to me, and the owners are just as likely to recover their jewelry through the efforts of the OP as they might had the items been turned in to the desk personnel.

Thank you for your defense. I was feeling bad about my decision, but honestly felt like just handing them over to someone else I could not be sure they would end up with the right personnel on the ship. I know I am a good, honest person and felt better about being in possession of the items knowing I will get them where they need to be. I have had things that were left behind be 'taken' and never turned in or reported and know how it feels. I don't want that for someone else. RCCL has my information and the information regarding the jewelry (it is not of huge monetary value, but may have more sentimental meaning than anything to someone....there is a reason they put it in the safe).

While your suggested course of action is certainly one good option, I'm curious as to why you feel so strongly against taking them off the ship. The OP's approach seems quite reasonable to me, and the owners are just as likely to recover their jewelry through the efforts of the OP as they might had the items been turned in to the desk personnel.

Glad it seems to be working out but no.

Not the finders property and had no right to leave the ship with it IMO. Could have handed to anyone behind the guest services counter and be done with it. No more likely being mishandled that was as to OP having to send it to who knows where.

Edited by SeaUs

Thank you for your defense. I was feeling bad about my decision, but honestly felt like just handing them over to someone else I could not be sure they would end up with the right personnel on the ship. I know I am a good, honest person and felt better about being in possession of the items knowing I will get them where they need to be. I have had things that were left behind be 'taken' and never turned in or reported and know how it feels. I don't want that for someone else. RCCL has my information and the information regarding the jewelry (it is not of huge monetary value, but may have more sentimental meaning than anything to someone....there is a reason they put it in the safe).

There was a thread on the HAL or Celebrity board a few years ago with a very similar theme. By far the majority of posters supported the decision of the OP then to not leave the item on the ship, where it might get mixed in with countless other items and might not reach RCCL's lost and found for some time. The OP back then later reported that the item was returned to a very happy owner.

If it was me, I'd much prefer to have you find my forgotten item! :)

Glad it seems to be working out but no.

Not the finders property and had no right to leave the ship with it IMO. Could have handed to anyone behind the guest services counter and be done with it. No more likely being mishandled that was as to OP having to send it to who knows where.

Actually, having found the item, she had every right to take it off the ship and take the actions she has taken to return the item. As I said previously, your approach is a sound one, but it certainly isn't the only one IMO.

FYI, I left 2 expensive diamond rings in my safe that I took off to pack my suitcases and forgot them! I thought I would never see them again but Royal said they would check with the room steward and sure enough I received them UPS a few weeks later to my surprise! I just wish now I had left him a bigger tip!

Thank you for the phone number. I have contacted them this morning and everything is being taken care of!

Can you tell us what is being done? Sincerely asking, not being facetious. I think it would be good to know for the next time this is posted, and it does come up several times a year on this board.

As someone else said, it could very well be someone that has never been on Cruise Critic and know nothing of this forum. IMO if you are going to mail it to lost and found you may as well had left it with the Customer Service people on the ship as someone said in an envelope if there was a long line of people waiting there. Everybody in the world is not crooked and I think I would have just trusted them to do the right thing as that is their job. If the owners was on the cruise before you they more than likely have inquired about it and have been told that nothing was found or turned in. Leaving it with the Customer Service people might have by now brought some closure to the owners knowing it was found rather them thinking that it I gone forever....Again just MHO!

As someone else said, it could very well be someone that has never been on Cruise Critic and know nothing of this forum. IMO if you are going to mail it to lost and found you may as well had left it with the Customer Service people on the ship as someone said in an envelope if there was a long line of people waiting there. Everybody in the world is not crooked and I think I would have just trusted them to do the right thing as that is their job. If the owners was on the cruise before you they more than likely have inquired about it and have been told that nothing was found or turned in. Leaving it with the Customer Service people might have by now brought some closure to the owners knowing it was found rather them thinking that it I gone forever....Again just MHO!

Just don't get how the OP and others think it was better to take found jewelry home and send to lost and found rather than personally hand to lost and found

Edited by SeaUs

Just don't get how the OP and others think it was better to take found jewelry home and send to lost and found rather than personally hand to lost and found

I actually think it is better that they took it and are trying to find the owners.

If I lost something anywhere, I would go online and google the terms. If you look right now, you can find OP's post on google quite easily.

I actually think it is better that they took it and are trying to find the owners.

If I lost something anywhere, I would go online and google the terms. If you look right now, you can find OP's post on google quite easily.

the owners will contact the cruise line for sure, but not necessarily anywhere else.

This just caused a delay for Royal and the owner getting together

Did you notify the cruise line? Did you send then a picture and full description so that if someone calls they can see if it matches before giving them your name and phone number?