Alaska Cruise on the Oceania Regatta

holidaybliss

Sept 8, 2015. Looking into booking the Regatta to cruise Seattle to Seattle to Alaska. Has anyone completed this cruise? What is your input on missing out on going to Denali?

Denali is a land based destination; do you mean Glacier Bay? :confused:

Sept 8, 2015. Looking into booking the Regatta to cruise Seattle to Seattle to Alaska. Has anyone completed this cruise? What is your input on missing out on going to Denali?

We did this cruise in early June and it was excellent; however, it was our third cruise visit to Alaska so we enjoyed visiting some of the smaller ports along the southwest coast. The up-close visit to Hubbard Glacier was also a highlight.On our previous two visits we did a cruise-tour with an interior land portion and visited Denali, Copper River and Fairbanks. If this is your first visit, I would do a cruise-tour. I think Princess does an excellent job with these but I don't know your personal cruise preferences so I would just say, check several options that are available and take the one that looks best for you. Happy travels - Alaska is a special place.

Obviously, you are planning for future. Denali is a worthwhile destination but should not be an overriding criteria. If you take a 1 way cruise, you can add Denali from a northern cruise ending or starting there. RT Seattle, you could just plan a land tour at some other time. Welcome to CC. On our Denali extension we never did see the mountain.

First...Regatta only goes as far north as Hubbard Glacier which is stunning.

It is a good 400 miles north to the park, however it is much better to fly from Seattle on a dedicated personal tour... there are many other than Princess which along with the others, is a cattle car experience at best. Better to go on your own.. and see several national parks.

Did you know the NPS offer free ranger led nature talks walks and activites ?

As many have said most tours never get to see McKinley as its cloud covered most all of the time in summer.

This is best done as a standalone trip not run by by a mass market tour operator where you will herded quickly in a blur

Now the good.......Sailing from Seattle, come several days early and visit MT Rainier...with its fantastic glaciers (26) of them and wonderful flowers, alpine meadows and forests..

Too, Regatta to Alaska that goes to Hubbard Glacier is one of the best cruises I have ever taken in 40 years. The Regatta is hands down the most beautiful ship I have ever sailed on. The food, the service , the fellow passengers can not be beat... The 10 day Vancouver to San Francisco, was hands down the best crusing experience I have had in 40 years of sailing world wide.

Sailing on princess or Holland will be at best a sad experience, jammed in with thousands upon thousands on the ship, standing in line to eat Dennys meals and pay top dollar for everything. while staying in motel 6.

Just because some operators/cruise lines operate these extended land tours dosent mean they are good , except for them !!

First...Regatta only goes as far north as Hubbard Glacier which is stunning.

It is a good 400 miles north to the park, however it is much better to fly from Seattle on a dedicated personal tour... there are many other than Princess which along with the others, is a cattle car experience at best. Better to go on your own.. and see several national parks.

Did you know the NPS offer free ranger led nature talks walks and activites ?

As many have said most tours never get to see McKinley as its cloud covered most all of the time in summer.

This is best done as a standalone trip not run by by a mass market tour operator where you will herded quickly in a blur

Now the good.......Sailing from Seattle, come several days early and visit MT Rainier...with its fantastic glaciers (26) of them and wonderful flowers, alpine meadows and forests..

Too, Regatta to Alaska that goes to Hubbard Glacier is one of the best cruises I have ever taken in 40 years. The Regatta is hands down the most beautiful ship I have ever sailed on. The food, the service , the fellow passengers can not be beat... The 10 day Vancouver to San Francisco, was hands down the best crusing experience I have had in 40 years of sailing world wide.

Sailing on princess or Holland will be at best a sad experience, jammed in with thousands upon thousands on the ship, standing in line to eat Dennys meals and pay top dollar for everything. while staying in motel 6.

Just because some operators/cruise lines operate these extended land tours dosent mean they are good , except for them !!

What Dan said, we thoroughly enjoyed playing trivia with him and his wife. It was a great cruise. Also as he said, Hubbard Glacier was outstanding, we got to see multiple calvings while there. Food was also excellent, as my clothes could attest to.

PS, Dan, I traveled to St Louis this past weekend and saw those signs for Uranus around Waynesville/St Robert that you told me about. LOL.

We sailed on Regatta on June 25, 2015, for 12 days to and from Seattle. Excepting one dreadful night at sea -- okay, let's be very clear, the weather, not the ship or the captain or Oceania -- it was as glorious a cruise as we have ever enjoyed. If I "need" to go to Denali or Anchorage or Seward, all worthy and rewarding destinations, I'm sure, I will. Another time. But I cannot extol the "wonderfulnesses" of the cruise we were on too much.

GO!

I totally agree about taking time to see Mt. Rainier but there's so much in that area that it's hard to advocate only one park. We love Rainier but on our last trip we also went down to Mt. St. Helens which was just fabulous. So is Olympic National Park. And then there are the San Juan Islands as well ...

What I'm saying is you can easily spend 2 weeks in the Pacific Northwest and THEN board the ship ...

Just my prejudices. I well realize that most people don't have that kind of time. But if you DO, it's a great trip.

Mura

Have to add my voice to Hawaiidan's and ORV's as we were on the recent Regatta cruise to Alaska with them and their wives. And lucky enough to be on the same trivia team which we thoroughly enjoyed. The day at Hubbard Glacier was indeed outstanding. Food, service, beds, linens as well as fellow passengers were all great. We celebrated our anniversary on the cruise and had a lovely celebration in Toscana that evening.

We knew going in that if we wanted to see the parts of Alaska best done on a land trip that we would do that at another time.

In contrast to all the complaints on this board about shortened port times, we were lucky enough to have our time in Victoria extended by 2 1/2 hours. Instead of arriving at 12:00 as scheduled, the captain got us there at 9:30. Since we planned to do Victoria on our own, we shared a taxi to Butchardt Gardens with another couple and got there before it got crowded. We had plenty of time to wander the gardens and return to the city for lunch and sightseeing before returning to the ship for afternoon trivia. The ship's excursions left at their scheduled 12:00 or after times so no advantage to those taking ship's excursions. We loved our day in Victoria, which was part of the appeal of this itinerary.

We sailed on Regatta on June 25, 2015, for 12 days to and from Seattle. Excepting one dreadful night at sea -- okay, let's be very clear, the weather, not the ship or the captain or Oceania -- it was as glorious a cruise as we have ever enjoyed. If I "need" to go to Denali or Anchorage or Seward, all worthy and rewarding destinations, I'm sure, I will. Another time. But I cannot extol the "wonderfulnesses" of the cruise we were on too much.

GO!

Yes Peter

This was a wonderful cruise except for my whale watch that I planned for a year, but in the end we had a wonderful time. I highly recommend this itinerary especially SEA to SEA. Hope we catch up with you and Randy sometime soon. Deb

We did this cruise in early June and it was excellent; however, it was our third cruise visit to Alaska so we enjoyed visiting some of the smaller ports along the southwest coast. The up-close visit to Hubbard Glacier was also a highlight.On our previous two visits we did a cruise-tour with an interior land portion and visited Denali, Copper River and Fairbanks. If this is your first visit, I would do a cruise-tour. I think Princess does an excellent job with these but I don't know your personal cruise preferences so I would just say, check several options that are available and take the one that looks best for you. Happy travels - Alaska is a special place.

Agree. For us the land tours were the best part of our Princess cruises in Alaska. But I do enjoy the Oceania smaller ships. Princess also uses her smaller ships for some Alaska cruises and they go to Glacier bay, which is another highlight of an Alaska cruise tour.

Yes Peter

This was a wonderful cruise except for my whale watch that I planned for a year, but in the end we had a wonderful time. I highly recommend this itinerary especially SEA to SEA. Hope we catch up with you and Randy sometime soon. Deb

Thanks, Deb. I certainly remember all the work you put in for our "whale day" in Hoonah, only to fall victim to the weather at sea the previous night. We all appreciated your efforts so much. And, dammit, one day you will frolic with a pod of whales!

We are booked for the Hong Kong to Istanbul voyage in March, 2016, but, honestly, Deb, I don't know if we'll follow through. The bait-and-switch going on fleet-wide with arrivals, departures, time in ports, etc., is alarming to us since we already have 17 sea days scheduled as it is. Abbreviating port times begins to alter the whole concept and character of what is to be for us a 'voyage of discovery' -- save the last three, we have never been to any of the ports/countries on our itinerary. Rather, it quickly evolves into a repositioning cruise, and that is not what we signed up for. We still have two weeks before any penalties kick in, so we'll decide within the week. Sending fond wishes, Peter

We also were fortunate enough to take the June 25th 12 day round trip cruise on the Regatta. We have been on numerous Holland America Alaskan cruises and enjoyed them immensely but this was one of our favorites. We chose the cruise for the ports, two of which we had never visited. The ship was excellent and the food was wonderful. Although we have taken a cruise/land tour before on Holland America, we enjoyed this cruise by far.

I'm really happy to read the positive comments about cruising Alaska on the Regatta! We are scheduled to take a Regatta Alaskan cruise in May of 2016. I was wondering if the somewhat higher costs of Oceania over the mass cruise lines would be worth it- sounds like it will and should be an amazing experience!

First, the answer is yes..... however Regatta is not that much more expensive than the mass market ships...

The price quoted by Oceania included rt air fare from from tour home, it also inludes all the port taxes which the others DO NOT All soft drinks, speciality coffee, waters are included and stocked daily in your fridge. The others don not.

There are 4 fantastic places to dine ...anytime no fixed seating ...the others do not. There are 2 outstanding specialty restaurants Italian and Steak, where you canorder anything you desire... its all inclusive..The others do not and charge $25 to$35 per person for their extras which are of basic quality. Prime meat and fresh seafood is served at every venue every day on Regatta.

While the others hype you to the one meal where you get a taste of lobster, Regatta serves is every day in every place...you can even get a lobster and filet sandwich by the pool... or a Kobe beef burger!!!

On many cruises gratuities are included as is unlimited internet....the others all add it on to your bill.

Then there is the issue of people... the massmarket ships are 2000 to 4000 people on giant ships. Regatta is just 640... no lines, no ill mannered behavior. Regatta attracts a more well traveled and well mannered group, polite and interesting people . On the others there is a whole crosssection of humanity the good the bad and the ugly with thousands on board. And oh, no kids running around few if any children as the line discourages them from booking.

Then we come to dress, on the others you have 2 or 3 formal dress evenings on regatta no such event, its all country club casual slacks a golf shirt and a sport coat

The other day I saw a 7 day special on a mass market line starting at $699, but add the port charges, the daily tips, the rt air to the ship, the extra costs for soda, coffee, waters, special dining, fruit juices.. and you are at about $2000 pp !!!! The other lines have dozens of ways to add to your cheap fare....Regatta doesn't. No art sale, no pushing drinks... no buy this day... none of that on Regatta.

You will end up spending a few hundred more on Regatta but with the quality, 1/4 the passengers the value for the dollar is tremendous...

To sail on this most beautiful ship with such wonderful crew and fellow passengers is priceless. Its an experience just not possible on Holland, Princess or the others....not even in their suites.

Warning, once you discover Oceania there is no way you are going to be pleased with the mass market cruise.... Oceania is hands down the best bang for the buck providing an affordable luxury level experience no other can.

In 40 years of cruising I have found no better value or seagoing experience...

Let me put it this way. The exact same cruise, Seattle to Seattle, was chosen Oceania founder Frank Del Rio for the 10th anniversary cruise of Oceania, sailing on July 5, 2010, precisely 10 years from the July, 5, 2003 Oceania maiden voyage by Regatta. Mr. Del Rio was aboard for that celebration, as were Betsy and I, our second Alaska voyage on Regatta. It was a perfect cruise.

Regarding Denali, we visited there on a 5-day pre-cruise excursion before we sailed on Regatta on a 12 day cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver in 2011. If you want to visit Denali pre- or post-cruise, the cruise must start or end in Seward, Whittier or Anchorage. Denali is over 275 miles from Seward, the most often used northern cruise port in Alaska, and usually involves train and bus rides.

I'm really happy to read the positive comments about cruising Alaska on the Regatta! We are scheduled to take a Regatta Alaskan cruise in May of 2016. I was wondering if the somewhat higher costs of Oceania over the mass cruise lines would be worth it- sounds like it will and should be an amazing experience!

You will love your May cruise on Regatta. We did it this May 2015 and it is one of my all time favorites. May is also a good time to cruise to Alaska...good weather and no kids. Also, most cruises are repositioning at that time which means fewer ships and passengers in ports.

Regatta is a beautiful, elegant, immaculate ship.

You will love your May cruise on Regatta. We did it this May 2015 and it is one of my all time favorites. May is also a good time to cruise to Alaska...good weather and no kids. Also, most cruises are repositioning at that time which means fewer ships and passengers in ports.

Regatta is a beautiful, elegant, immaculate ship.

+1

Same cruise

Same enjoyment:)

First, the answer is yes..... however Regatta is not that much more expensive than the mass market ships...

The price quoted by Oceania included rt air fare from from tour home, it also inludes all the port taxes which the others DO NOT All soft drinks, speciality coffee, waters are included and stocked daily in your fridge. The others don not.

There are 4 fantastic places to dine ...anytime no fixed seating ...the others do not. There are 2 outstanding specialty restaurants Italian and Steak, where you canorder anything you desire... its all inclusive..The others do not and charge $25 to$35 per person for their extras which are of basic quality. Prime meat and fresh seafood is served at every venue every day on Regatta.

While the others hype you to the one meal where you get a taste of lobster, Regatta serves is every day in every place...you can even get a lobster and filet sandwich by the pool... or a Kobe beef burger!!!

On many cruises gratuities are included as is unlimited internet....the others all add it on to your bill.

Then there is the issue of people... the massmarket ships are 2000 to 4000 people on giant ships. Regatta is just 640... no lines, no ill mannered behavior. Regatta attracts a more well traveled and well mannered group, polite and interesting people . On the others there is a whole crosssection of humanity the good the bad and the ugly with thousands on board. And oh, no kids running around few if any children as the line discourages them from booking.

Then we come to dress, on the others you have 2 or 3 formal dress evenings on regatta no such event, its all country club casual slacks a golf shirt and a sport coat

The other day I saw a 7 day special on a mass market line starting at $699, but add the port charges, the daily tips, the rt air to the ship, the extra costs for soda, coffee, waters, special dining, fruit juices.. and you are at about $2000 pp !!!! The other lines have dozens of ways to add to your cheap fare....Regatta doesn't. No art sale, no pushing drinks... no buy this day... none of that on Regatta.

You will end up spending a few hundred more on Regatta but with the quality, 1/4 the passengers the value for the dollar is tremendous...

To sail on this most beautiful ship with such wonderful crew and fellow passengers is priceless. Its an experience just not possible on Holland, Princess or the others....not even in their suites.

Warning, once you discover Oceania there is no way you are going to be pleased with the mass market cruise.... Oceania is hands down the best bang for the buck providing an affordable luxury level experience no other can.

In 40 years of cruising I have found no better value or seagoing experience...

+1

Anyone who does the research will quickly figure out that the daily rate for Oceania (including air or air credit and the value of mass market add-ons) is very close to lines like HAL and Celebrity but with a higher quality experience and none if the mass market cons.

we loved our cruise SEA-SEA IN 2014 that we booked again June 2015. This one was even better than our first one and if DH would let me I would book another!! The ship, the travelling companions, the food, the most spectacular vistas, the bedding, the staff,,where else can I go with this? You will love your choice, yes a bit more out of the wallet but WELL worth the expense.

Yes Peter

We may have missed the whale watch Deb, but Hoonah was just wonderful!!! And we wouldn't have seen it if we hadn't missed the whales!! It was a wonderful cruise (and thank you for all your organising)

We saw many other bigger ships on the cruise and all I could feel was gratitude that we were on the Regatta and not any other ship.:)

we loved our cruise SEA-SEA IN 2014 that we booked again June 2015. This one was even better than our first one and if DH would let me I would book another!! The ship, the travelling companions, the food, the most spectacular vistas, the bedding, the staff,,where else can I go with this? You will love your choice, yes a bit more out of the wallet but WELL worth the expense.

I was on the same cruise and totally agree. We missed the whale watch but we did get this "Crabby Caesar"

03ece2da1bebfe43105a58b10e756697.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was on the same cruise and totally agree. We missed the whale watch but we did get this "Crabby Caesar"

03ece2da1bebfe43105a58b10e756697.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh, yes! Otherwise known to some of us as "Breakfast in Hoonah!" A little light on the vodka, I thought, but very generous with the King Crab. Those of us who missed out on Deb's whale watching jaunt consoled ourselves with these.