Sanctuary worth it?

lbfluffy

We love the Sanctuary and book it on all warm weather sailings. I see it's your D/H birthday, so if you decide to book it, run upstairs as soon as you get onboard. Maybe even treat him to a couples massage, it's nice!

A massage might be done outdoors in the Sanctuary area, but that is the only connection to the Sanctuary. Massages are handled through the Lotus Spa. They can be had regardless of whether passenger is also booked into Sanctuary.

I visited the Sanctuary on embarkation day on Sept 12th. They were offering a special deal of (I can't remember whether it was $40 or $60) for use of the Sanctuary on the day we were to cruise through Tracy Arm Fjord. I just couldn't see the value in it, so I didn't book it. Everyone has reasons for booking it, I just knew for me it would be a waste of time and money. If you are going to pay to use it though, Alaska would probably be a good place to do so.

• 4 weeks later...
We will be on the Ruby Princess. How private is the area they do the couples massage in the Sanctuary?

It's an elevated square platform, maybe 10'x10'. It has heavy cotton drapery on all sides and these can be drawn shut for the duration of the massage. I have observed this more than once, and also been close enough a couple of times to hear soft music playing inside.

Google "Princess Sanctuary pictures" and you will see many shots where these are in the background. They look like outdoor gazebos.

We have always loved the Sanctuary. We usually cruise once a year and have reserved the full week on many occasions. However, we cruised on the Regal last year and bought for the full week. We are sun people and unlike other Sanctuary's on the Crown, Emerald, Caribbean etc.....everyday we were moving our chairs in every direction to be in the sun. The layout is a bit different on Royal class ships. A few times, we actually left and sat elsewhere because of this. I will say the staff is super pampering and so nice but if you are a sun lover, I would steer away on Royal/Regal. We are on the Regal next month because we loved the ship so much, but we will not be doing the Sanctuary this time around.

Have fun! :)

Just a related issue (mentioned on this thread). We think its a darn shame (and big mistake) that Princess designers do not have a public lounge with a forward view. You can go on nearly every other cruise line (with large ships) and there will be a forward facing lounge. When they built the Grand it had the elevated (shopping cart handle) Skywalkers which at least gave a great aft view. But alas, the shopping handle got relegated to the junk yard.

Hank

Just a related issue (mentioned on this thread). We think its a darn shame (and big mistake) that Princess designers do not have a public lounge with a forward view.

Actually the newest builds have no place** that a passenger can go to see forward. Even something other than a lounge would be nice.

Passengers who booked a forward looking cabin and those who pay for the Sanctuary can look forward. The other 98% of passengers have no way to do so.

The Sanctuary is aptly named. If that is what you want -- and presuming you do since you asked -- you should try it for a day early on in your cruise.

As a way of getting your feet wet (no pun intended) for free, the pool just below the Sanctuary (at least on the EPpy) is right below the main part of it. Due to it's location you get the benefits of the solitude (nothing wrong w/chatting to a fellow hot tub mate, etc.) without the fees. You could do that first; and if you like the quieter vibe, try the Sanctuary the next day.

I know the Sanctuary does well on warm climate cruises but it not my thing. I am very happy to be out in Steerage with rest of the folk, laying a poolside recliner, Kindle in my hands and listening to tunes with my earphones....and its free....I love it!!!:)

Just a related issue (mentioned on this thread). We think its a darn shame (and big mistake) that Princess designers do not have a public lounge with a forward view. You can go on nearly every other cruise line (with large ships) and there will be a forward facing lounge. When they built the Grand it had the elevated (shopping cart handle) Skywalkers which at least gave a great aft view. But alas, the shopping handle got relegated to the junk yard.

Hank

It is good motivation to use the fitness center, which is at least forward on the Grand Class ships.

Two years ago the two of us were on the ship in April-- we ran like nuts to get there right away to reserve two loungers in the shade- Still got burned to a crisp as the covering had gaps in it-- we paid what I felt at the time, was a ridiculous amount of money for the week- found that people were able to sneak in- several times there were people on our reserved chairs. The manager was new, he kept apologizing-- I should have asked Princess for a refund, but I don't like to make "waves"---

Any way, I think it depends on the ship and sailing. We will be on the Coral which has a nicer design for sanctuary, but because there is an indoor pool area, I think that will be good enough for us-- We will be on the Regal next Oct, port intensive-- much cooler weather, and the Regal design is like the Royal.

A lot of people like the sanctuary on the Coral though. But for Panama Canal sailing, I think it will be too hot for us to enjoy-JMHO

When we started cruising, one of the things on our list to try was the Sanctuary.

We picked a day when we were in Ensenada (been there, done that, don't get off the ship). Paid for a 1/2 day in advance. When the day came, it was COLD. The attendants gave us 2 blankets each and we had on sweats and jackets and it was still cold.

The afternoon tea that they brought was a disappointment.

Maybe not a good place to try it out, maybe we would have liked it if it was warm...but we haven't felt the urge to try it again.

• 1 year later...
When we started cruising, one of the things on our list to try was the Sanctuary.

We picked a day when we were in Ensenada (been there, done that, don't get off the ship). Paid for a 1/2 day in advance. When the day came, it was COLD. The attendants gave us 2 blankets each and we had on sweats and jackets and it was still cold.

The afternoon tea that they brought was a disappointment.

Maybe not a good place to try it out, maybe we would have liked it if it was warm...but we haven't felt the urge to try it again.

Sorry - I know this is an old thread, but can you still book a day or 1/2 day in advance? Or do you have to line up the day in the early am and hope for the best? We will be on a Hawaii cruise next year (15 days), and while having a dedicated lounger is nice, the $30/day price ( = $450) seems excessive for a cushioned lounge chair, no matter how serene.

I have been looking for information for the sanctuary.

Beside the dedicated lounger what else to you get for your 40.00 a day. Can you move you lounger around? I love being outside but I also the the shade.

You can not move the lounger. Some ships the Stewart's will flip it so the feet are where the head was when the sun moves but not others. When you choose your lounger you are choosing one that is either in the shade or the sun. You can only pick from what is left when you go up to reserve. You also get a special menu with food that is delivered to you ($3 service charge). They also bring you tea service right to your lounger at 3:30 everyday. Included.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Sanctuary is definitely of interest to me because I DO like to sit in a peaceful area and read. However, last March I was on a cruise just between San Diego and Ensenada, and it was really too windy to sit outside. I have a March California coastal booked for 2018 with an aft balcony. I think I might be just as happy on the balcony as I might be in the Sanctuary. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

The only difference between the Sanctuary and a Cemetery is you are lying on the right side of the grass in the Sanctuary. :o :o

I like the adult pool area better because you can at least talk to the person next to you without annoying the people around you.

Tony

Sorry - I know this is an old thread, but can you still book a day or 1/2 day in advance? Or do you have to line up the day in the early am and hope for the best? We will be on a Hawaii cruise next year (15 days), and while having a dedicated lounger is nice, the $30/day price ( = $450) seems excessive for a cushioned lounge chair, no matter how serene.

We traveled RT to Hawaii in April a few years ago, and I made a beeline to reserve two prime spots in the Sanctuary. Such a disappointment.

My strong advice is to save your money. On sea days, it's freezing. On port days, well, you're busy island hopping. I blew nearly $1k and used it for maybe three hours. It really is dependent on itinerary, and Hawaii in April is not the right one.