Deployment 2017/18 - first guesses and implications

A Quantum Class ship cannot fit through the canal due to the Bridge of the the Americas. However, some people have speculated that Ovation could actually end up doing Alaska in the summer with Australia in winter (like Explorer is currently doing).

I don't see any Quantum Class ship being based year round in the Caribbean because they are designed for colder climates (i.e. Northern Europe, Alaska). I do think they will base one in Florida seasonally though.

Where would Explorer go then?

Maybe Australia year round?

A Quantum Class ship cannot fit through the canal due to the Bridge of the the Americas. However, some people have speculated that Ovation could actually end up doing Alaska in the summer with Australia in winter (like Explorer is currently doing).

I don't see any Quantum Class ship being based year round in the Caribbean because they are designed for colder climates (i.e. Northern Europe, Alaska). I do think they will base one in Florida seasonally though.

I think it was Hoopster95's posting of about a year or so ago that showed the Q ships have an air draft of 205' which puts them within the limit for the Bridge of Americas.

I think it was Hoopster95's posting of about a year or so ago that showed the Q ships have an air draft of 205' which puts them within the limit for the Bridge of Americas.

Hmm... Interesting.

I know Voyager Class don't fit, so I assumed Quantum wouldn't, but I'm not sure.

Hmm... Interesting.

I know Voyager Class don't fit, so I assumed Quantum wouldn't, but I'm not sure.

I was doubting myself as to whether it was Hoopster95's post and the info I quoted from memory. Anyway I plowed back through some old threads and found it. Scroll down a couple of pics and there is a close up of the figures in question.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45076630&postcount=203

The 205' (62.5m) is tide dependent, but that clearance can be met most of the day as long as there is not an extremely high tide. At that time you probably would not have sufficient clearance for 6 hours or so. I certainly would hope Royal would not build another class of ships that would exclude them from a particular itinerary. Then again you never know;)!

Hmm... Interesting.

Hi there OTSC,

BillB48 blessed us (well at least me) with the very best explanation of the Canal, tides, Bridge of Americas, with photos here... start post #12 onward:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2241152&highlight=panama

Definitely the best explanation I have ever read regarding the canal and the possibilities of ship getting under the bridge.

By the way, Capt Srecko (at the time on Vision) said he would not chance Getting Voyager under the bridge

Capt Anderson said no doubt about it she would get under (he also got Radiance under the Skyway bridge to Tampa for the very first time he says with about 5-6 feet to spare. Interesting, and coincidence, that he also was the scapegoat of Anthem in that storm debacle!!

Also Capt Srecko said on Quantum that while Q Class can fit into the dimensions of the new canal locks, the maximum beam at the life boats vs. at the hull could (would??) cause an issue so Quantum, may not even be good to go through the new locks at all.

That would be pretty normal, since everything is now open for sale for 2017/early 2018. No speculation there.

Well....on that note...

Legend has now been booked at Gibraltar with calls every 14th day on every other Saturday.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned previously or not.

Sat 27 May 17, 08:00 LEGEND OF THE SEAS 18:00 International Royal Caribbean International 1804

+

Sat 10 Jun 17, 08:00 LEGEND OF THE SEAS 18:00 International Royal Caribbean International 1804

+

Sat 24 Jun 17, 08:00 LEGEND OF THE SEAS 18:00 International Royal Caribbean International 1804

+

Sat 15 Jul 17, 08:00 LEGEND OF THE SEAS 18:00 International Royal Caribbean International 1804

+

Sat 29 Jul 17, 08:00 LEGEND OF THE SEAS 18:00 International Royal Caribbean International 1804

+

Sat 12 Aug 17, 08:00 LEGEND OF THE SEAS 18:00 International Royal Caribbean International 1804

+

Sat 26 Aug 17, 08:00 LEGEND OF THE SEAS 18:00 International Royal Caribbean International 1804

+

Sat 09 Sep 17, 08:00 LEGEND OF THE SEAS 18:00 International Royal Caribbean International 1804

+

Sat 23 Sep 17, 08:00 LEGEND OF THE SEAS 18:00 International Royal Caribbean International 1804

Nope. Here's Radiance time lapse style... Radiance about 178' high, Lion's gate just shy of 200'

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44020334&highlight=lapse#post44020334

Thank you for both of those links.

I have taken that ride under that bridge several times on the Radiance as well as a number of other ships.

Does any know if the Quantum class can fit under the Lyons Gate Bridge in Vancouver BC?

The Lions Gate Bridge is often compared to the Bridge of the Americas having a similar clearance, however the published clearance is 1 foot less than the BoA. I really don't know if there is enough wiggle room for exceptions or not.

Hi there OTSC,

BillB48 blessed us (well at least me) with the very best explanation of the Canal, tides, Bridge of Americas, with photos here... start post #12 onward:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2241152&highlight=panama

Definitely the best explanation I have ever read regarding the canal and the possibilities of ship getting under the bridge.

By the way, Capt Srecko (at the time on Vision) said he would not chance Getting Voyager under the bridge

Capt Anderson said no doubt about it she would get under (he also got Radiance under the Skyway bridge to Tampa for the very first time he says with about 5-6 feet to spare. Interesting, and coincidence, that he also was the scapegoat of Anthem in that storm debacle!!

Also Capt Srecko said on Quantum that while Q Class can fit into the dimensions of the new canal locks, the maximum beam at the life boats vs. at the hull could (would??) cause an issue so Quantum, may not even be good to go through the new locks at all.

Hey Hoopster!

Thank you for the info. I took a look at that thread and it was very informative. I'm really hoping to see the return of Canal cruises.

Well....on that note...

Legend has now been booked at Gibraltar with calls every 14th day on every other Saturday.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned previously or not.

Interesting... I think Legend's last cruise with RCI is supposed to be March 13-26, 2017. Could those port calls actually be placeholders for Thompson/TUI (not sure which line she's going to, I know there is some overlap) after she gets sold?

Hey Hoopster!

Thank you for the info. I took a look at that thread and it was very informative. I'm really hoping to see the return of Canal cruises.

Interesting... I think Legend's last cruise with RCI is supposed to be March 13-26, 2017. Could those port calls actually be placeholders for Thompson/TUI (not sure which line she's going to, I know there is some overlap) after she gets sold?

It must be the TUI Discovery 2 (former Legend), but it was interesting that RCL would book the deployment and hold the slots. The ship will be based at Malaga doing 7 day sailings every Sundays and then Canary Island sailings in the winter season.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/ships/tui-discovery-2/itineraries/

With Malaga port being just around 35 miles from Marbella, I would guess I will get an opportunity to sail with Legend again as the TUI Discovery 2.

Hey Hoopster!

As a summary there are a couple of key quotes there by both Bill and Cheng:

• Bill: Absolute max span height, at the lowest tide, at the very best case possible, all planets aligned = approx 214 ft
  • Cheng: Totally special 1-time only occasion 6 foot clearance, with likely min 8-10 foot clearance normally for other "special occasions"
  • Freedom = 208' high, Voyager 207'

All planets would need to be aligned on every single sailing. I think this math indicates very well that Voyager/Freedom ships won't be sailing under the BoA any time in the near future, new locks or not.

As a summary there are a couple of key quotes there by both Bill and Cheng:

• Bill: Absolute max span height, at the lowest tide, at the very best case possible, all planets aligned = approx 214 ft
  • Cheng: Totally special 1-time only occasion 6 foot clearance, with likely min 8-10 foot clearance normally for other "special occasions"
  • Freedom = 208' high, Voyager 207'

All planets would need to be aligned on every single sailing. I think this math indicates very well that Voyager/Freedom ships won't be sailing under the BoA any time in the near future, new locks or not.

I agree. However, RCI has other classes of ships that do fit nicely in the Canal and under the Bridge of Americas. It's a matter of them wanting to schedule future Canal cruises, which we have enjoyed so much in the past.