If MDR was open for embarkation lunch would you go there?

LMaxwell

If the MDR was open for embarkation lunch would you go there?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. If the MDR was open for embarkation lunch would you go there?

• Yes, we would go to the MDR for embarkation day lunch
    • No, we would not go to the MDR for embarkation day lunch

On my first cruise I didnt know the WJ was open. My son and I sae Cafe Promenade and was like "Hey! Food!" and we just stayed there. So when I broght my pareents I made sure to taake them straight there! My dad actually liked the WJ over the MDR for dinner.

No. I LOVE the dal and the paella in the WJ. I now consider it my official "start of the cruise" meal, the way others look forward to the Honey Stung Chicken. A bowl of dal over rice and then a bowl of paella.:D

72 more sleeps till I get my dal...

The WJ on embarkation day is the traditional start to a cruise......along with paella and strawberry melon drink. Then sitting on the pool deck watching all the cruisers arrive and their looks of amazement. We are in our bathing suits and relaxing as we 'people watch'.

On Princess the MDR is open on embarkation day and it's a great option. :)

That was where I first sampled MDR / Embarkation lunch. After being packed in the hot terminal (RCI terminal at Fort Lauderdale is much nicer_ waiting to get onboard it was nice to sit down and relax and order from a menu.

I ate in the MDR on NCL on embarkation day. It was nice to not deal with the crowds when eating. Plus we still had our carry on with us. We dropped our bags off in the cabin and went up on deck to join everyone after our leisurely lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only if the tutti salad bar was available. If I could get that for lunch and dinner every day I'd be a very happy cruiser.

For me, I just did not enjoy the much raved about Tutti Salad Bar, and did not have much to choose from on the lunch menu.....rather enjoy the WJ for lunch on any day. But that is just me.

When we've gone to the WJ it's been pretty early, before the rush, but I have to admit that part of the enjoyment for me is seeing the new cruisers sorting out their first meal on board the ship. You can still see the amazement in their eyes.

I agree.....it is a people watching event for us after we have settled into our table with our food. The amazement on cruisers faces ranges from 'wow -- look at all there is' (maybe they have never been on a cruise before) to "oh - is that all there is" (maybe they have been on many other cruises and disappointed in what they see) and everything in between. The family groups looking to find others in there party....and all the rest just getting ready for their vacation.

I am always amazed at the amount of luggage people walk on board with, and how they manage with it....we board with a little back pack that has essentials and a bathing suit....so we can enjoy the pool deck that afternoon fully expecting our luggage to arrive before we need to dress for dinner.

Only if the tutti salad bar was available. If I could get that for lunch and dinner every day I'd be a very happy cruiser.

I'm absolutely with you! Windjammer is a tradition because the MDR isn't open.

My next cruise has 4 sea days (10 days total) and I look forward to eating a tutti salad 4 times. Never found a salad bar that could come close to this!!

If the MDR was an option for embarkation day lunch would you go to that instead of to Windjammer / quick serve venue.

I'll make this a poll; please vote at the top.

I'm glad you started the topic, I did vote. My first thought was yes I would, but this is such a busy time for the staff in that area, but if they did do it, it could be limited in size and menu, and perhaps make it for Diamond and above to keep it from getting too crowded, but allowing it to alleviate other crowded areas.

:confused: What, you noticed I just turned diamond and I'm already trying to increase my benefits? :o I'm busted! Off to read the replies.

No. If we're on by 11 - 11:30am we may hit the Windjammer for a quick snack and then the search begins for the ship's best bartender. Any later boarding than that we skip the snack. ;)

Amen! It's all about priorities and very few things take precedence over finding an excellent bar tender! ;)

The WJ on embarkation day is the traditional start to a cruise......along with paella and strawberry melon drink. Then sitting on the pool deck watching all the cruisers arrive and their looks of amazement. We are in our bathing suits and relaxing as we 'people watch'.

Great minds! :D

No. We eat breakfast have a very light snack for lunch because we eat in a SR the first night and don't want to be stuffed

Reasonable point, but perhaps if all they offered was that tutti salad, that would be a draw for many.

No. We always eat breakfast at the hotel so no need to eat again once on the ship.

Funny, we always eat breakfast at our pre-cruise hotel also. For some reason though, we're always starving again when we board the ship (11:00 or 11:30). Maybe it's just psychological? LOL

For me, I just did not enjoy the much raved about Tutti Salad Bar, and did not have much to choose from on the lunch menu.....rather enjoy the WJ for lunch on any day. But that is just me.

You know, I enjoyed the Tutti Salad on Navigator, but was surprised by what it actually was. To me, it was JUST a salad bar. It was nice that they put the ingredients in the bowl for you, but there was nothing on that salad bar that isn't on the salad bar at Golden Corral or Ruby Tuesday. The way people rave about it, I was expecting more. It was good, but still...*shrugs*

You know, I enjoyed the Tutti Salad on Navigator, but was surprised by what it actually was. To me, it was JUST a salad bar. It was nice that they put the ingredients in the bowl for you, but there was nothing on that salad bar that isn't on the salad bar at Golden Corral or Ruby Tuesday. The way people rave about it, I was expecting more. It was good, but still...*shrugs*

I must agree with your feelings. Twice I have gone to the MDR for lunch with friends for a quieter meal. Neither time was I overly impressed. I have never been to Golden Corral, but what was a little nicer than a Ruby Tuesday salad bar was the shrimp that could be added to the salad mix. There was nothing on the lunch menu that really got my personal attention either. Later in the day, I probably stopped by the WJ.