Visas for Papua New Guinea

joybook

Do Australian PassPort holders on a cruise which includes PNG ports need to officially apply for an entry permit/visa or are they handled on your ship? Maybe some of you who have done these cruises may wish to help - thank you. We are specifically looking at a Princess cruise.:)

Do Australian PassPort holders on a cruise which includes PNG ports need to officially apply for an entry permit/visa or are they handled on your ship? Maybe some of you who have done these cruises may wish to help - thank you. We are specifically looking at a Princess cruise.:)

I have visited PNG with Princess last September and P&O in June 15. Here is what P&O sent.

"Electronic visas for Papua New Guinea will be issued to all guests on arrival in PNG, To receive your electronic visa, when you check in you will need to bring a photocopy of your passport photo page, along with your actual passport, and a completed Incoming Passenger Declaration form. A copy of the form can be downloaded from our website, www.pocruises.com.au/PNG-visa-form."

When we were checking in for our Princess cruise, a lot of passengers had not done the photocopy or the declaration form, which held up their boarding.

PNG is a great place to visit, enjoy.:cool:

Thank you for that but it seems a little confusing in that I have read on a website that PNG changed the rules fairly recently when Australia changed its rules in relation to PNG visitors to Australia and made things a little more difficult so while I appreciate your comments if there is anyone that has cruised there say this year I would welcome your comments also.:)

Thank you for that but it seems a little confusing in that I have read on a website that PNG changed the rules fairly recently when Australia changed its rules in relation to PNG visitors to Australia and made things a little more difficult so while I appreciate your comments if there is anyone that has cruised there say this year I would welcome your comments also.:)

There is always change. For the latest information I suggest you contact Princess or your TA.;)

I stated that I cruised to PNG in June 2015! Is that not this year???

Here is a link to the Official PNG site detailing how cruise passengers are to be granted entry into PNG: see http://www.immigration.gov.pg/cruise-ships.html

Edited by By The Bay

Thanks for the information, I too found very conflicting information. I contacted TA who said dont need to do anything, and have searched our booking and found no mention of any requirements, then I read that you need a photo, completed form etc. which is definitely not mentioned anywhere on our princess booking. So really appreciate this thread and the answers from cruisers who have recently been to PNG. :)

I just checked the emails from Princess prior to our cruise. We received a email 13 days prior to departure. At the bottom of "Booking details" the last item was titled "Important Notices - New" with a link "click this link to complete this important information".

No hint on what it was about until you clicked on the link. And to make matters worse was this warning underneath the link:

"Note: Cruise Personalizer updates are not available within 5 business days of your departure date. "

No wonder there was a line up of people who did not have the photocopy of their Passport page and the completed Declaration form.

I am also interested in this thread. I'm going on P&O world cruises to PNG in March. I received and email from UK P&0 stating that visas for Australian passport Holders are issued on board for a cost of $30 U.S.

However I have looked on The PNG visa web and its says that no longer can tourist visa's be issued on arrival that they have to be issued before .

I'm a stress head, so I think I will take a trip to Clarence st in Sydney to the PNG consulate and have my visa done before I leave , that way no problems .

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I rang the Cunard call centre today and the person I spoke to emailed me a document dated 15 September 2015 about visa requirements for Aussie and Kiwi passport holders booked on the Queen Elizabeth Q603 World Cruise or sectors thereof. The section concerning PNG states:

"Papua New Guinea – Rabaul (1st Mar) - Visas for Papua New Guinea are compulsory for Australian and New Zealand passport holders and will be issued upon the ship’s arrival by the local Port Authorities, whether you are staying on board or going ashore. The charge will be approximately USD $30.00 per person per visa and will be charged to your on board account. Please note this charge is subject to change."

Richard

I work at the check in at Brisbane cruise terminal and also going on a cruise to Papua New Guinea next week.

Passengers have to complete a visa form and attach a copy of your passport information page. This is handed in to the check in staff and then we give them to the ship.

The ship organises the visas and then charges your account. I have heard those fees are between $8 to about $30. Will find out next week.

The main thing about going to Papua New Guinea is that your passport expiry date MUST have a six month expiry on it from your return date to Australia. So if your return date to Australia is say 1 May 2016 your passport expiry date must be 1 November 2016 or more otherwise no cruise for you.

Kim

I work at the check in at Brisbane cruise terminal and also going on a cruise to Papua New Guinea next week.

Passengers have to complete a visa form and attach a copy of your passport information page. This is handed in to the check in staff and then we give them to the ship.

The ship organises the visas and then charges your account. I have heard those fees are between $8 to about $30. Will find out next week.

The main thing about going to Papua New Guinea is that your passport expiry date MUST have a six month expiry on it from your return date to Australia. So if your return date to Australia is say 1 May 2016 your passport expiry date must be 1 November 2016 or more otherwise no cruise for you.

Kim

You can download the single page PNG Declaration Form by clicking on the link in the body of the text on the P&O webpage https://www.pocruises.com.au/PNG-visa-form .

Might save a bit of time if you fill in the form before you arrive at the Cunard check-in. :)

You can download the single page PNG Declaration Form by clicking on the link in the body of the text on the P&O webpage https://www.pocruises.com.au/PNG-visa-form .

Might save a bit of time if you fill in the form before you arrive at the Cunard check-in. :)

Definitely complete the PNG Declaration and photocopy your passport details before you get to check in or better still before you leave your house. So many pasengers turn up with nothing, even though it is emailed to the passenger.

The passport details just have to be black and white and DO NOT have to be signed by a JP.

Kim

I am going on the Aria 16 Feb 16 and on the P & O cruise control page I received the following message. No mention of photocopy of passport.

PNG ELECTRONIC VISA REQUIREMENTS

For Papua New Guinea, electronic visas will be issued to all passengers upon arrival in PNG. To get the electronic visa, you will need to download, print and complete the Incoming Passenger Declaration Form and present it at check in. Simply copy and paste the following link to download the form http://*******.com/zcm9stv. Your passport must also be valid for a minimum of six (6) months beyond the date of the cruise return. This is a requirement of the PNG Immigration and Citizenship Service Authority. A Quarantine fee of PGK$15.00 (approx AUD$6.00) will be applied to all passengers (12 years and over) onboard account. No other visas fee will be charged.

I am going on the Aria 16 Feb 16 and on the P & O cruise control page I received the following message. No mention of photocopy of passport.

PNG ELECTRONIC VISA REQUIREMENTS

For Papua New Guinea, electronic visas will be issued to all passengers upon arrival in PNG. To get the electronic visa, you will need to download, print and complete the Incoming Passenger Declaration Form and present it at check in. Simply copy and paste the following link to download the form http://*******.com/zcm9stv. Your passport must also be valid for a minimum of six (6) months beyond the date of the cruise return. This is a requirement of the PNG Immigration and Citizenship Service Authority. A Quarantine fee of PGK$15.00 (approx AUD$6.00) will be applied to all passengers (12 years and over) onboard account. No other visas fee will be charged.

You will find the link to download the PNG Declaration Form on the P&O webpage https://www.pocruises.com.au/PNG-visa-form where you will also read, "bring it with you to check in, along with a photocopy of your passport photo page (you will also need to be in possession of your physical passport)".

For our visit to PNG in April we have been advised no visa required But a health type form to be obtained for about $9 per person to which your copy of the passport but be stapled and kept with you at all times

• 1 year later...

Folks,

we will be visiting PNG with Princess in late November 2017. This is the info I have:

Your passport MUST be valid for a minimum of six months beyond the end of the cruise. An Incoming Guest Declaration form must be completed by all passport holders and presented at check in. Please visit www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/PNGDeclarationForm.pdf to download a copy of the form.

Regarding the copy of the passport page: it is always a good idea to carry a copy or two of that document anyway.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

The PNG embassy web site does not list a $6 "Quarantine Fee" for cruise ship passengers as a requirement, so I have asked if that money goes to the PNG government or if it is an official PNG requirement and have received no answer yet from Princess and am still waiting.

Princess did a similar scheme for Indonesia and demanded a visa fee for that country, which became a money spinner for Princess for just handling the paper. I think it was $20 or more Dollars/pax, so it became a $60,000 windfall for 3,000 pax.. But heck, $6 is not a lot, but I do not like this kind of drip pricing, which is ripe in the travel industry.

Definitely complete the PNG Declaration and photocopy your passport details before you get to check in or better still before you leave your house. So many pasengers turn up with nothing, even though it is emailed to the passenger.

The passport details just have to be black and white and DO NOT have to be signed by a JP.

Kim

Great advice there Kim, you have your finger on the pulse at Brisvegas Cruise Terminal like Graham, Garry and Joanne at OPT - Sydney.;)

• 3 weeks later...
I think I read earlier on or another thread that you also need a passport sized photo.

I don't recall we needed any photos for our visit there in Apr on Sun Princess.

That said, on international travel I think that carrying 1 or 2 spare passport photos is a good idea & I always have them in my wallet.