Avalon Creativity Paris to Normandy heading home!

amd1234

Well it was just a fabulous vacation first time cruising with Avalon. Crew, food excurisions all exceptional. We didn't expect such huge crowds but Paris was extremely crowded. Our first excurision to Monet's Garden was so crowded there were two cruise ships in port at the same time. We cancelled our visit to Versailles couldn't take another day with mobs of people. We met lovely people on the ship and we were very impressed with the Creativity. It's an older ship I think 2009 absolutely immaculate. We had a French Balacony cabin utilized with a good deal of storage and also bathroom with cabinet for toiletries . I will gladly answers any questions. We stayed precruise one day before boarding ship. We stayed at the Hotel Albe in St Michael area perfect location would highly recommend. I will give a review in a few days ....

Well it was just a fabulous vacation first time cruising with Avalon. Crew, food excurisions all exceptional. We didn't expect such huge crowds but Paris was extremely crowded. Our first excurision to Monet's Garden was so crowded there were two cruise ships in port at the same time. We cancelled our visit to Versailles couldn't take another day with mobs of people. We met lovely people on the ship and we were very impressed with the Creativity. It's an older ship I think 2009 absolutely immaculate. We had a French Balacony cabin utilized with a good deal of storage and also bathroom with cabinet for toiletries . I will gladly answers any questions. We stayed precruise one day before boarding ship. We stayed at the Hotel Albe in St Michael area perfect location would highly recommend. I will give a review in a few days ....

So happy to hear you had such a good time! I've been on the fence about doing the Versailles tour because of the crowds; what did you do instead? It's hard to tell from the itinerary what other options there are. We leave tomorrow for a few days in Munich, then Paris before boarding the Creativity next week. Can't wait!

We are home after being up since 5:30 still in a jet lag mode. So I am on the forum instead of sleeping! To answer your question we are so glad we didn't do Versailles passengers went and they couldn't move it was so crowded. We did Malmaison ( Josephine Bonaparte's Chateau with our guide Martin he was fabulous). The gardens were beautiful but unfortunately it was pouring rain and limited to walking through . You need some down time it was good to have the afternoon to rest .. We were exhausted. Weather the first four days was ideal but toward the end of the week showers.. I had to buy another fleece jacket I wasn't prepared for the 49-50's in the morning. Bring a rain jacket ... Also I wish I brought my Merrill sneakers I had good shoes but the cobblestones streets were difficult to walk. I slipped and fell in Rouen It was raining and the streets were very slippery.also friends went to Moulin Rouge show good food horrible...well off to do the ton of laundry..

Thank you so much for posting! Your title immediately caught my eye since I depart on the Creativity next week- and am also, like you were, a first- timer. In fact, when I had the week to fill, I started calling end of July and grabbed the first available spot for my dates in Paris!

Your comments have been most helpful. I am at the sorting- packing stage and have the usual black urban clothing suitable for Paris and London, ( downtown Chicago stuff) but, your comments made me wonder if I should bring some more rugged clothing and shoes. What do you think?

I'd also be interested in the evening activities on board.....I am going by myself (since my husband has a different trip planned involving the great outdoors!) ....were there singles on your river boat?

We've lots of ocean time.... Did the cruise director provide port talks?

I'm hoping food will be French or at least European rather than to American tastes; what was your take on the menus?

I am looking forward to the towns- it looks like a lot of bus time; did you think so? I know it is still peak tourist time......

Last year in Iceland, I did not use cash once. Even the restrooms took my chipped credit card. Will I need cash along the river? I figure some small Euros for guide tips, and I've prepaid cruise tips and transfers.

i'm working on my French vocabulary ...... I'd definitely appreciate anything you choose to share with us about your trip! You sound very enthused about it! ( which I really like- so many complaints in these forums all the time.....):)

Insiders Cabins... Try to answer some of your questions. Check weather 10 days out and pack accordingly. It didn't help me I wasn't prepared for the cool mornings or rain. A few fleece light jackets LL Bean type. Or a light denim jacket with a scarf.I brought two dresses no need my friend brought one nice pair of black slacks and a few nice tops much easier..Jerseys better to pack and yes jeans are fine. Bring good pair shoes I wore schechers. Next time I would also bring sneakers. Food was wonderful .. My friend had tenderloin steak five nights in a row. Loved the duck, Caesar salad delicious ... Good soups and desserts. There is chicken every night and also steak if there is nothing on menu that appeals to you. There were a few singles and you will be fine. The entertainment was terrific. Milan was the gentlemen that played each night great selection of music. In fact most women were on the dance floor I being one of them.fun fun...one night a French women was brought in for entertainment she

was superb..after a long day of tours and two hour dinners we were ready for bed. I brought 200E you need a few euros for drivers and guides. We charged everything even gratuities. There are ATMs if you need additional money. Also Yvette will have a port talk each night before dinner. Have a blast . You will love it.. I hope I answered some of you questions!

Thanks - et merci beaucoup- AMD1234! Right, I check iPhone weather daily for Paris and Rouen- but just like here, iPhone showing one thing and out the window, it's something else! So your firsthand report helps. I'm editing clothes today, per your helpful comments. My main reason for signing on to this itinerary was to see Giverny....were there some blooms left? I also want to see the Grand Horloge! I kept reading about not having expectation of variety with food choices because of small galley, but you make it sound good! And, where did you dock in Paris? Walking distance, or not? I signed on for Montmartre walk because I've never done that area. Thanks for € help. Did you find anything interesting to buy?

Also, every guide book now has dire pickpocket warnings- much worse than a few years ago. ( like the sign in Covent Garden "Beware of Pickpockets"-instinctively one touches a pocket and thieves know exactly where to pick a pocket!) we've seen it, we've heard about it from friends who have been in Paris within last year.....anything said about this?

I am really looking at details because I am on my own!

Our last day we went to Montmarte. You go by bus and take a small cho cho train to the top. The Basilica is amazing so beautiful! It's a walking tour but we left mid way to try and walk on our own. We had torrential rain for about 15 mins requiring us to seek shelter in a cafe. Drank wine ...:)and it was so crowded you couldn't walk the streets.. Bought macaroons to bring home honestly nothing much to purchase. I bough a fleece jacket in one of the towns that was about it. Just make sure you keep your purse close to your body leave passports in safe. Carry one credit card and a little bit of euro..

Thanks AMD1234! I think we will follow your lead and choose Malmaison over Versailles. we are doing 3 days in Paris pre- cruise and will probably be tired of crowds by the end of the cruise. I agree it's important to have some down time! I have also been watching weather and tried to pack accordingly. I learned the need for sneakers on our first river cruise; my feet were so sore I bought some in Cskey Krumlov! We are at the Toronto airport at the moment waiting for our flight to Munich. It was 82 today and hard to believe I will need the warm clothes I did pack!

Insiders Cabin, we are on the creativity embarking in Paris on 9/22. Are you on the same cruise?

• 3 months later...
We are home after being up since 5:30 still in a jet lag mode. So I am on the forum instead of sleeping! To answer your question we are so glad we didn't do Versailles passengers went and they couldn't move it was so crowded. We did Malmaison ( Josephine Bonaparte's Chateau with our guide Martin he was fabulous). The gardens were beautiful but unfortunately it was pouring rain and limited to walking through . You need some down time it was good to have the afternoon to rest .. We were exhausted. Weather the first four days was ideal but toward the end of the week showers.. I had to buy another fleece jacket I wasn't prepared for the 49-50's in the morning. Bring a rain jacket ... Also I wish I brought my Merrill sneakers I had good shoes but the cobblestones streets were difficult to walk. I slipped and fell in Rouen It was raining and the streets were very slippery.also friends went to Moulin Rouge show good food horrible...well off to do the ton of laundry..

We are planning on taking this cruise this coming April. Where did Rinda dock in Paris? I called the office and they said they don't know yet. Thanks!

The Rhinda is a Viking ship, not Avalon. Last year they docked outside of Paris; I don't remember the town. Do a search on Rhinda on this forum and you will find many comments about it's docking location.

I'm sorry! I meant to ask where Avalon Creativity docked in Paris.

Thank you,

Amor

I thought the issue with the Rinda was that it was a longship and too long to turn itself around in the area where to Pride and Spirit docked (not a question of space). The Pride and Spirit are smaller (and shorter) than a Viking longship.

[/i]

In case anyone reading the comment quoted thinks all Viking ships dock in Le Pecq, only Viking Rinda did; Viking Pride and Spirit docked in Paris. With Pride now out of service, maybe there's room for the Rinda in Paris for 2016.

I thought the issue with the Rinda was that it was a longship and too long to turn itself around in the area where to Pride and Spirit docked (not a question of space). The Pride and Spirit are smaller (and shorter) than a Viking longship.

[/i]

It's possible but I think it was more likely lack of space. Spirit and Pride are no longer listed on the Viking website so I guess Spirit was taken out of service shortly after Pride (which was mid Nov/15). With the two smaller ships gone, and the only replacements being longships, I think/hope that a couple of longships will be allowed to dock at Quai de Grenelle. My experience/knowledge is limited to the little time spent there but I'm fairly sure there's enough space for a longship to dock there. Of course, there could be other considerations of which I am not aware. I guess we'll find out in March or April when the itineraries start running again.