New DSC Removal Form

Wendy&Grumpy

These posts just never go away. People being so obsessed on the whole DCS concept. For all the folks on here boasting about all there Platinum status in every post and talking about the suite life in the haven with butlers why are they so cheap and wanting to take off the DSC. I wont do this ever but I think the whole concept of DSC is stupid. How can the cruise industry treat workers that are on the ship working hard for 6 months or more like a applebees employee that depends on tips to survive. They should pay them better and stop acting like its a incentive program. No company uses customers money directly and call it a incentive program. That makes me think they take part of there tips away if there late for a meeting or something stupid like that.

They take a portion away for a wellness fund (we took your money; here is a cake!). then they take a portion for administrative fees. Then they have internal metrics to rank each worker. Based on those metrics workers can earn UP TO a certain percentage of the possible total DSC. Those metrics are devised by the cruise line and has little to nothing to do with how the guest feels about service. How many minutes did it take to clean a room, how many minutes did it take to clear a dining table, etc. Arbitrary measures that look at task completion and has NOTHING to do with customer service.

Cruise lines do this so they can get a hold of the money first and decide when , how, and how much to disburse. When it was all done in CASH the company had no profit potential and frankly didn't care what you did. Now that the cruise line has skin in the game, they care. Not about the workers, but about their ability to chisel off some profit. This is all factual and no one, not even the cruise line, will dispute the veracity.

That is why some people don't like the DSC setup; it benefits the company BEFORE it benefits the worker. Some of us have cruised for many, many years before this cockamamie setup and prefer that our money go to benefit the worker ONLY and not the company. It is the same reason I tip in cash at restaurants; it does not give the business an opportunity to hold that tip and choose when and how to disburse it; it is in the workers hand for immediate and maximized benefit TO the worker.

Edited by LMaxwell

They should pay them better and stop acting like its a incentive program.

Actually since most of the crew that participates in the service charge are from less developed countries they earn 3 to 4 times more than what they could in their native land working a comparable job, so they are paid quite well in their eyes.

These posts just never go away. People being so obsessed on the whole DCS concept. For all the folks on here boasting about all there Platinum status in every post and talking about the suite life in the haven with butlers why are they so cheap and wanting to take off the DSC. I wont do this ever but I think the whole concept of DSC is stupid. How can the cruise industry treat workers that are on the ship working hard for 6 months or more like a applebees employee that depends on tips to survive. They should pay them better and stop acting like its a incentive program. No company uses customers money directly and call it a incentive program. That makes me think they take part of there tips away if there late for a meeting or something stupid like that.

What makes you think these are the people that are having the DSC removed?? :confused:

I think NCL should just include the charge in the price of the cruise so people will stop complaining about it.

I don't plan on removing the DSC charge. I am an over tipper actually both on cruise and in my normal life. I am however curious as to what the form looks like. I can't seem to find it on the FB page either. Does anyone have a date or something of the post?

So' date=' no "discretionary" service charge. Will they call it the "Mandatory Service Charge" now? [/size']

I think the issue is that it still removable. It's just not removable on board. So, technially, if you put a complaint on board, and you then fill the form when you come back, you still will be entitled to a partial or full refund (I suppose, depending on what you request) of DSC.

I like that they are doing this. Good for NCL to do this and make sure people are not just looking for ways to get out of the DSC. but you know some will find a loop hole or want to say it's against their contract and want to sue them for it.

They take a portion away for a wellness fund (we took your money; here is a cake!). then they take a portion for administrative fees. Then they have internal metrics to rank each worker. Based on those metrics workers can earn UP TO a certain percentage of the possible total DSC. Those metrics are devised by the cruise line and has little to nothing to do with how the guest feels about service. How many minutes did it take to clean a room, how many minutes did it take to clear a dining table, etc. Arbitrary measures that look at task completion and has NOTHING to do with customer service.

Cruise lines do this so they can get a hold of the money first and decide when , how, and how much to disburse. When it was all done in CASH the company had no profit potential and frankly didn't care what you did. Now that the cruise line has skin in the game, they care. Not about the workers, but about their ability to chisel off some profit. This is all factual and no one, not even the cruise line, will dispute the veracity.

That is why some people don't like the DSC setup; it benefits the company BEFORE it benefits the worker. Some of us have cruised for many, many years before this cockamamie setup and prefer that our money go to benefit the worker ONLY and not the company. It is the same reason I tip in cash at restaurants; it does not give the business an opportunity to hold that tip and choose when and how to disburse it; it is in the workers hand for immediate and maximized benefit TO the worker.

DING DING DING.. Now this a winner

You've summed up exactly what I HATE about the DSC. Takes away control of who actually gets your tip errr "service charge" or "incentive fund" or whatever the heck you want to call it and how much. And the form was simply a measure so that the cruiser could adjust if they had "bad" service. Take that element away and where is the incentive to provide "good" service or go above and beyond???

Edited by Warm-Water Diver

Good move NCL.

After 22 cruises with other lines I'm even happier now that I booked Escape 4 weeks ago.

Looking forward to trying a cruise line that actually sticks it neck out for it's employees. :cool::cool:

Edited by ShakeDaddy

I like that they are doing this. Good for NCL to do this and make sure people are not just looking for ways to get out of the DSC. but you know some will find a loop hole or want to say it's against their contract and want to sue them for it.

Nothing has changed in regards to POLICY. The POLICY remains exactly the same as it has been. Only the PROCEDURE has changed. In fact, the Policy never said you could, or could not, do this on the ship. They just did it on the ship as a matter of habit. Now, they do it through email.

There's no loop hole and the contract remains identical. So your premature issue is, thankfully, nullified.

By taking it off the ships and putting the decision in Miami, it will be much easier and more common for NCL to say NO. BTW you are not going to sue them in Federal Court in Miami nor are you going to go to arbitration over a couple of hundred dollars, so NCL wins.

Edited by zqvol

Good move NCL.

After 22 cruises with other lines I'm even happier now that I booked Escape 4 weeks ago.

Looking forward to trying a cruise line that actually sticks it neck out for it's employees. :cool::cool:

Don't want to let you down, but the policy is the same as it has been. You handle business off the ship instead of on the ship.

By taking it off the ships and putting the decision in Miami, it will be much easier and more common for NCL to say NO.

Suggest you go to FB and see the form. You just have to follow the directions on the form and wait the prescribed amount of time for it to be handled. Nothing on the form indicates that a decision has to be rendered; it is not an appeal process. Fill out form. Send in form. Form gets redeemed.

Again, I can't stress this highly enough, the policy has not changed. The contract has not changed. the only change was that now it is handled OFF the ship instead of ON the ship.

Suggest you go to FB and see the form. You just have to follow the directions on the form and wait the prescribed amount of time for it to be handled. Nothing on the form indicates that a decision has to be rendered; it is not an appeal process. Fill out form. Send in form. Form gets redeemed.

Again, I can't stress this highly enough, the policy has not changed. The contract has not changed. the only change was that now it is handled OFF the ship instead of ON the ship.

In theory this is true, but the practice may just turn out to be a different matter. Only time will tell, but my personal suspicion is that NCL will indeed deny some claims. (And I am sure we'll read about it here first;).)

Nothing has changed in regards to POLICY. The POLICY remains exactly the same as it has been. Only the PROCEDURE has changed. In fact, the Policy never said you could, or could not, do this on the ship. They just did it on the ship as a matter of habit. Now, they do it through email.

There's no loop hole and the contract remains identical. So your premature issue is, thankfully, nullified.

I like the new procedure.

In theory this is true, but the practice may just turn out to be a different matter. Only time will tell, but my personal suspicion is that NCL will indeed deny some claims. (And I am sure we'll read about it here first;).)

Well, not theory. Contractually. I'm not sure what basis NCL would have to deny a claim.

I would go so far as to say while the contract and policy hasn't changed, that introducing another barrier (time delay) will dissuade some people who just say "aw screw it, let them keep the money", and, since NCL has all the money now (larger pool, earning greater interest) that even with refunds they are still ahead.

So, yes, I think the change to procedure will have a positive impact for NCL.

I think NCL should just include the charge in the price of the cruise so people will stop complaining about it.

Agreed. No different than the port fees and taxes which are not optional.

However, I always had this question... Does NCL record these fees on its books as "income"? Skews the numbers in my opinion.

Well, not theory. Contractually. I'm not sure what basis NCL would have to deny a claim.

I would go so far as to say while the contract and policy hasn't changed, that introducing another barrier (time delay) will dissuade some people who just say "aw screw it, let them keep the money", and, since NCL has all the money now (larger pool, earning greater interest) that even with refunds they are still ahead.

So, yes, I think the change to procedure will have a positive impact for NCL.

I believe your middle paragraph is exactly what they are hoping for.

By taking it off the ships and putting the decision in Miami, it will be much easier and more common for NCL to say NO. BTW you are not going to sue them in Federal Court in Miami nor are you going to go to arbitration over a couple of hundred dollars, so NCL wins.

And that's why it makes me smile a little bit - they're actually reviewing the complaints and/or reasons written on the form. Plus, the person(s) trying to remove it have to pay up 1st anyway and have to wait a few weeks to get a response, let alone a refund. Not only that, if the person does a dispute with their credit or bank, NCL can claim breach of payment of services and sue the person - its the perfect Catch-22.

OMG, NCL give whomever thought of this a raise or promotion - they deserve it! And its all within the boundaries of the contract - its so deliciously evil, its good......[emoji48] [emoji56]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I happen to like the new procedure too. I just was helping to clarify for you that the policy itself remains as it has been. Did not want you confuse a change in procedure to a change in policy.

Agree. Thank you.