Oh boy another tipping thread! (HAL should copy NCL)

InTheWASide

I totally agree with this poster. People will remove the HSC when they get home as they don't have to actually face a human being while doing it! I can't imagine that someone is going to "forget" about $200 or $300 once they're home.

From what I've heard about some lines, there are lots of people who go to the front desk willing to face a human being and remove the tip.

I totally agree with this poster. People will remove the HSC when they get home as they don't have to actually face a human being while doing it! I can't imagine that someone is going to "forget" about $200 or $300 once they're home.

I don't know. NCL has called their tipping a service charge for quite some time now. My understanding is that in the past you could not opt out of all tips. You still had to go and state what service was unsatisfactory and give them a chance to improve on the service before the tips for that service (only) were removed. I don't think they would allow removal of all the service fees for all via an email.

I agree, but if they're smart, they will give the front desk cards with the explanation. The the front desk person can say "Sorry, but I cannot do that at this time. Here are instructions for what you can do." Then hand over the card, turn away and call out "Next!"

Or easier still, put up a big sign that says "Service charge cannot be changed on board. Please see instructions." and have a tray of cards/papers that explain it.

Have you had bad service from EVERYONE who took care of you on a cruise? That's the only reason to remove the autotip (or whatever you want to call it).

If you have a bad waiter, do you remove the autotip? If so, you're punishing your cabin steward and lots of behind-the-scenes people who did NOT give you bad service.

You'd really let this keep you away from a cruise line? After all, they do allow you to remove it, so you would get your money back. They just don't let you do it onboard.

I Really like this ^^. :)

NCL may not intend to refund the service charge for every request to do so under this new arrangement. Maybe it makes it easier for them to deny the request for a refund.

Even if there is a loss, NCL could make it up in other ways. Wages could be adjusted along with a minor increase in cruise fares that would probably be unnoticeable.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

NCL may not intend to refund the service charge for every request to do so under this new arrangement. Maybe it makes it easier for them to deny the request for a refund.

They have no legal basis to deny a request. It's the same as any redemption form. Fill out form. Send in. Wait the amount of time it says. the form is posted on NCL's Facebook page. It is not an appeals process. Actually, I am surprised how many people on the HAL forum seem to understand this much more clearly than those on the NCL forum. NCL's policy has not changed, only the procedure, and their contract remains the same as it has been (their contract is available on the front page of the NCL site).

Another reason I feel its a bad idea.

I tip my cabin stewards extra then I go home and remove the HSC. Now HAL is going to ask the stewards if four weeks ago if they received a tip from cabin # and expect them to put it into a pool?

Record keeping by stewards is very easy. A cabin steward has a certain number of cabins per cruise (s)he takes care of. A piece of paper and (s)he lists the cruise, the cabin number, how much money the guest tipped directly to him/her.

I would imagine at the end of each cruise, the stewards count that money very carefully and keep such records for their own information.

Cruise line could even supply the form and they would only fill in the blanks.

CBR663, I don't see how this allows a passenger to delay payment of their tips. Under the NCL plan EVERYBODY pays their gratuities while still on the ship.

Roy

My thinking was that while all passengers will pay the tips while on the ship, all passengers will be given the option to reverse these charges for a certain period once the cruise is over.

Some may have a sudden unexpected expense come up and request the refund. Some may talk to others who got a better deal than them and wanting to even the score, request a refund. Some may have underestimated the exchange rate and realized they spent too much money and want a refund.

I have read many comments on this site that people are not always removing the tips because of poor service. Having them wait to remove it may just bring more reasons for some people to remove it. In this regard, the cruise line is now allowing passengers to finalize the total cost of their cruise (as I consider tips a part of the total cost) until after they have disembarked and the time has passed for the removal of tips. It is much easier for some people to remove this charge once the experience has ended and some time has elapsed.

Record keeping by stewards is very easy. A cabin steward has a certain number of cabins per cruise (s)he takes care of. A piece of paper and (s)he lists the cruise, the cabin number, how much money the guest tipped directly to him/her.

I would imagine at the end of each cruise, the stewards count that money very carefully and keep such records for their own information.

Cruise line could even supply the form and they would only fill in the blanks.

I have worked in large organizations and can tell you from my experience, this would not be easy - it would be an administrative nightmare. You are talking about thousands of forms having to be produced for each cruise and then all the forms gathered and the information recorded somewhere. Considering that HAL has a hard enough time producing an accurate passenger invoice at the end of a cruise, I can only image the shambles that HAL would make of this.

We know that HAL takes an administrative fee from the HSC right now. I am guessing that this would only result in even more fees being taken and less of your HSC going to the crew.

To get around the cheapskates, please just include the HSC in the cost of the cruise. Those of us who always tip more still will do so.

But what if you have a service problem that onboard management can not resolve? What if the charge is mandatory and a steward skips your cabin, or waiters are surly and slow? What recourse will a guest that pays thousands of dollars for a vacation have if service is substandard? A cheapskate will always find a way. But what you suggest is limiting people with poor experiences from being able to do anything about it.

Edited by LMaxwell

I can see a possible problem:

We were on a cruise and met a young Canadian couple, along with a baby and small child. They said the children cruised for taxes/port fees only - not sure if this was a 3rd/4th guest cruising "free" on some promo or if this applies for children under a certain age.

They said they were going to remove the HSC for the baby, they had brought their own porta crib (so they could fold it out of the way when not needed - more space in cabin) and did not feel that a baby should be tipping....

Now in this scenario with NCL, this couple would have to wait until home to remove the charges, BUT incur the loss of exchange rates (difference in surcharge rate between buy and sell). Personally, I do not think that would be fair.

Fod for thought.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

I have worked in large organizations and can tell you from my experience, this would not be easy - it would be an administrative nightmare. You are talking about thousands of forms having to be produced for each cruise and then all the forms gathered and the information recorded somewhere. Considering that HAL has a hard enough time producing an accurate passenger invoice at the end of a cruise, I can only image the shambles that HAL would make of this.

We know that HAL takes an administrative fee from the HSC right now. I am guessing that this would only result in even more fees being taken and less of your HSC going to the crew.

I have confidence that when it comes to money, HAL will find a manageable system. :) There are not thousands of crew on any HAL ship but I recognize you are referring to all stewards/bar staff (which are the most common to receive most of the tips) on all HAL ships.

They can have their techies that manage their website set up a 'user friendly system'. If their systems are good enough for us to cope with in order to spend our money, they should be able to cope with them in order to 'save' their money........ :D :D

Sounds like a complicated nightmare. I still like my idea the best. Before they snap your picture at the boarding desk you sign a paper saying you are paying the HSC, NO SIGN = NO SAIL easy peasy.

This is a good thread. I can already figure out all those that remove the tips.:)

I think it's a great idea. Too many times it's not the service. I get tired of hearing how people are on a tight budget. I'm on a budget too but stiffing the staff isn't part of my budget plan.

I couldn't agree more!

We prepare a budget for every cruise, and we always allow for the HSC in addition to extra tips for extra service. The best cruises are those where I am on my best manners, using Please and Thank You generously.

Sounds like a complicated nightmare. I still like my idea the best. Before they snap your picture at the boarding desk you sign a paper saying you are paying the HSC, NO SIGN = NO SAIL easy peasy.

This is a good thread. I can already figure out all those that remove the tips.:)

Why are the simplest ideas the ones that are never adopted?

But, there could be extraordinary circumstances where it could be warranted. I've never seen them myself but it could happen.

Like Cruz chic, I have heard far too many remove them because they just didn't want to pay, couldn't afford it, "didn't know", etc. Oh and then there was my favourite that I overheard when a passenger removed them and then was upset that it won't be in their on board account in time to spend in the shops. huh??

But, there could be extraordinary circumstances where it could be warranted. I've never seen them myself but it could happen.

Like Cruz chic, I have heard far too many remove them because they just didn't want to pay, couldn't afford it, "didn't know", etc. Oh and then there was my favourite that I overheard when a passenger removed them and then was upset that it won't be in their on board account in time to spend in the shops. huh??

Yes agreed- Perhaps if all the companies adopted the same policy (no removal of HSC) that would close the loophole.

Can't believe it was even set up like this in the first place Could be removed)? I keep hearing how smart these companies are:confused:

That sounds like someone with promotional OBC they wanted to redirect to themselves. They must feel pretty clever knowing they've stiffed the staff to get extra t-shirts! :mad:

I think it stinks! If I don't get good service, why should I tip? Then come home and have to deal with it...I won't cruise with them

Bet someone says you are just out to stiff the crew and should get the poor service rectified. Whereas that's what I thought a tip was for to rectify poor service by rewarding great service.

Great idea. Make the cheapskates jump through various hoops. Hopefully they get full inboxes or they receive their payment all in pennies.

And punish anyone who gets poor service in the same way.

Defeats the whole purpose of tipping doesn't it.

I leave the HSC in place and have, on rare occasion, left an additional gratuity for extraordinary service. (Believe it or not.)

Whether, how, when, why, and how much other passengers tip, don't tip, leave hometown T-shirts, offer phone cards, remove the HSC, or whatever is none of my business. And, frankly, it's no one else's either.