Declined Upsell Offer to a Full Suite

swm5495678

15 day RT from SF to Hawaii on the Grand.

OK, but you haven't said which cruise...which month. November 25th? If so, have you joined our roll call yet?

I'm actually hoping to get an up-sell for one of the window suites. There are four remaining, at the moment. Chances are slim but one can always hope.

I feel deprived and forgotten as I have never received an upsell even though I am elite. My first cruise was a window cabin and while OK I was not wowed by it. The second cruise I was upgraded to a balcony at no cost to me which hooked me for life. Now I book only balcony cabins. I have been able to upgrade to a mini a few times when the prices dropped to the point that is was less than $100 for the mini over what I was going to pay for the balcony (its price had also dropped but I decided to go for the mini). It was real nice of course. Oh well, maybe some day.

To all who received an upsell that they felt was worth it, congratulations on your new cabin.

I feel deprived and forgotten as I have never received an upsell even though I am elite. My first cruise was a window cabin and while OK I was not wowed by it. The second cruise I was upgraded to a balcony at no cost to me which hooked me for life. Now I book only balcony cabins. I have been able to upgrade to a mini a few times when the prices dropped to the point that is was less than $100 for the mini over what I was going to pay for the balcony (its price had also dropped but I decided to go for the mini). It was real nice of course. Oh well, maybe some day.

To all who received an upsell that they felt was worth it, congratulations on your new cabin.

You sure you want to bemoan lack of an upSELL offer when you've had a free upgrade? I've had the upsell offer, but would have preferred a free upgrade.

Jim

Other people's opinions do not matter as long as you're comfortable with your decision.

This is absolutely true. But since the OP asked, I would not pay $899 for a Vista or Penthouse suite, but I have been to a sailaway party in the Grand Suite and I would jump at it for $999. This is by far the best suite Princess has to offer and one I want to travel in at least once.

15 day RT from SF to Hawaii on the Grand.

Realizing now that we're talking about Grand Princess, I would have turned down the upsell due to the location. The Grand Suite on Grand Princess is forward on Lido Deck; on the other ships that have them the Grand Suites are aft. I would not book another Lido Deck cabin--way too noisy.

Realizing now that we're talking about Grand Princess, I would have turned down the upsell due to the location. The Grand Suite on Grand Princess is forward on Lido Deck; on the other ships that have them the Grand Suites are aft. I would not book another Lido Deck cabin--way too noisy.

It's not just the Grand Suite. The OP was offered a Penthouse or Vista for $100 less than the Grand Suite. The Penthouses include aft and mid-ship Caribes. The aft ones are quite nice.

Jim

It's not just the Grand Suite. The OP was offered a Penthouse or Vista for $100 less than the Grand Suite. The Penthouses include aft and mid-ship Caribes. The aft ones are quite nice.

Jim

In my first post I mentioned that I would not pay $899 for a Vista or Penthouse suite; I love the aft Vista Suites and book them frequently. I would just not pay an EXTRA $899 for one.

Edited by f-mattox

In my first post I mentioned that I would not pay $899 for a Vista or Penthouse suite; I love the aft Vista Suites and book them frequently. I would just not pay an EXTRA $899 for one.

Don't you just hate it when people comment without reading all the posts? Me too.

Oh, well; my bad and my apologies (although I still think an aft penthouse is better than a Vista on the Grand -- least I hope so since we took an upsell).

Jim

OK, but you haven't said which cruise...which month. November 25th? If so, have you joined our roll call yet?

I'm actually hoping to get an up-sell for one of the window suites. There are four remaining, at the moment. Chances are slim but one can always hope.

The cruise is the 10/24/15 cruise on the Grand RT from SF 15 day to Hawaii.

We just received our first upsell offer from Princess in 19 cruises. $99 pp 7 day coastal cruise. We took it. Went from an OW Obstructed view guarantee (we booked last minute) to a Premium Balcony. Mid aft on the Caribe deck.

It's been a good week for us!!:D

Cheers, Denise

We just received our first upsell offer from Princess in 19 cruises. $99 pp 7 day coastal cruise. We took it. Went from an OW Obstructed view guarantee (we booked last minute) to a Premium Balcony. Mid aft on the Caribe deck.

It's been a good week for us!!:D

Cheers, Denise

Come join us on the Oct 17th Rollcall

I remember you on the Star, didn't you get an award for bringing 30+ pairs of shoes

Don't you just hate it when people comment without reading all the posts? Me too.

Oh, well; my bad and my apologies (although I still think an aft penthouse is better than a Vista on the Grand -- least I hope so since we took an upsell).

Jim

Thank you, but no apology necessary; in fact I do it all the time myself. The Penthouse suites are a little bigger than the Vista suites but the balconies, especially the two on Dolphin Deck, are a little deeper than the Penthouse balconies and provide a little more shade. But of course we all have our favorites for different reasons. ;)

$2,000 can fund an entire other cruise if you pick the right one. My wife and I would much rather take another cruise than blow that kind of cash to have a suite.

I know some people only cruise in suites but they obviously have much more money than we have. $2k can go a very long way toward another trip. There is no way we would have take it but, like others have said, it's personal and individual. For those who have the money and who find the cash worth it then there is no reason not to take an upsell like that. For others it would be insane.

I see that you declined the upsell as you didn't feel it was worth the cost. You are the only person who matters. What someone else would do (obviously myself included) is of no import.

Enjoy your cruise. Be happy you are able to cruise. Have a wonderful time. :)

Thrak, that is a very well thought out and expressed post. In fact I compliment you on all your posts, how you always keep your cool and always offer reasoned and reasonable opinions.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I don't have a lot of disposable income--my wife and I are both retired and have a fixed income. But we have found that we really like the suites and all the benefits that go with it and we would rather take one cruise a year in a suite than four or five in an inside or oceanview cabin. But that's just us. I have many friends that think just the opposite.

Happy cruising to you.

Edited by f-mattox

I have read on CC where people have made an counter offer to an upsell, and were able to see what was available and ask for a different location and Princess sometimes agreed to the price. It doesn't hurt to make a counter offer.

Tom:)

On Sunday we received an upsell offer from Princess for the Grand Suite for $999 PP and $899 PP for the Penthouse/Vista Suites. We declined the offers. We had already done the Penthouse Suite on the Golden a few years back for the same trip to Hawaii. Back then it was full fare no upsell.

With the exception of breakfast every morning at Sabatini's restaurant we really didn't see much value in the full suite.

What are other folks opinion on this?

I agree. Once you've been there/done that, it's not such a big deal anymore. If you really want more space, then yes, do it. I find that we can be pretty comfortable without all the extra suite space.

We have twice been offered upsells from Cat ME mini suites to full suites. We jumped at the offer to upgrade to a full suite on our 11 day Baltic cruise for only $299/person. The charge only applied to the first two passengers so our adult DD got the upgrade with us for free. We turned down an offer of $199/person for a 4 day coastal cruise. Being Elite, breakfast at Sabatini's for three days was not worth $398. Looks like Princess have discovered that there is value in the upsells and have increased the cost.

Edited by IECalCruiser

I agree. Once you've been there/done that, it's not such a big deal anymore. If you really want more space, then yes, do it. I find that we can be pretty comfortable without all the extra suite space.

All the responses to my original comments have been great. Thanks. Most of the response seem to confirm that declining the upsell was OK. In our case I guess it would had been nice that since this is our 22nd cruise on Princess a complimentary upgrade would have been better received than an upsell offer. In all the times on Princess this is the first time we have received an upsell offer. Perhaps we got the upsell offer cause we are working with a TA for the first time.

Perhaps we got the upsell offer cause we are working with a TA for the first time.

On the flip side, we got our first ever upsell offer last week and it's the first time we've been booked direct with Princess instead of through a TA! So go figure.... :rolleyes:

All the responses to my original comments have been great. Thanks. Most of the response seem to confirm that declining the upsell was OK. In our case I guess it would had been nice that since this is our 22nd cruise on Princess a complimentary upgrade would have been better received than an upsell offer. In all the times on Princess this is the first time we have received an upsell offer. Perhaps we got the upsell offer cause we are working with a TA for the first time.

We booked with Princess directly and just accepted an upsell offer to a PH suite 4 weeks ago: PRINCESS CRUISES IS PLEASED TO EXTEND THE FOLLOWING OFFER TO CAPTAIN'S CIRCLE MEMBERS CURRENTLY BOOKED IN A MINI-SUITE (cat.MA-ME) ON THE OCTOBER 17, 2015 SAILING OF GRAND PRINCESS. I expected to leave a message on a recorder, but got a live person instead who told us which cabins were available. The total cost was one third of what we paid per day for the same cabin number earlier this year on the Star Princess.

On the flip side, we got our first ever upsell offer last week and it's the first time we've been booked direct with Princess instead of through a TA! So go figure.... :rolleyes:

Ditto - first upsell, and booked directly with Princess.

Edited by Jessejo