Are shorter cruises worth it?

JessiMommy

Hubby and I planned to do a three night mini trip for our anniversary. We were/are going to get a nice hotel on the beach and just enjoy some "us" time. We have cruised before and enjoyed it. I just came across a deal where either a three or four night cruise would probably be cheaper than what we were going to do at a hotel. We've only done seven night cruises before so just wondering what your thoughts are on a shorter cruise?

Many (Most ?) three night cruises are 'party hearty' type experiences. If you enjoy that, it is something to consider. If you would enjoy a quieter more mature experience, a three night cruise might not be the best choice.

I definitely agree if you have to fly it's not worth going through the airport and all that involves as well as cost of air tickets.

Edited by sail7seas

The problem with a three night cruise is the fact that most of the first day is devoted to waiting to board and the last day you re hustled ashore - you really just have two days - and they are likely to be shared with many partiers trying to cram it all in. That is a lot of prep time for little ship time.

I tried a short cruise once. By the time I got into the rhythm of the cruise, it was time to get off. It's just not enough time to enjoy yourself. That is, unless you are only planning on non-stop drinking and partying - which a lot of your fellow passengers will be doing, a sometimes not so relaxing situation for the people around them.

When many of the cruise line loyalty programs rewarded people for the number of cruises more than the duration of those cruises, people would take shorter cruises to quickly accrue loyalty points. Now, many of the lines have changed the structure to make it more balanced, regardless of the length. These short-cruise fans howled very loudly when their ability to play the system to quickly move up the loyalty levels came to an end. So now there isn't as much of a motivation for some people as before.

Edited by sloopsailor

If you are in driving distance of the port, absolutely. With airfare now a days it's starting to get not worth it for a 7 day cruise...

At that point it's no different than going away for the weekend. We've taken many 3 and 4 day cruises. We have 3 ports within 60-90 minutes from home.

We've done 1 four day cruise and while it was great to cruise we both agree that the 7 day length is just right for us. (middle 30's with kids at home who do NOT cruise with us yet). Honestly if the price is right and you don't have to fly like we do - I say do it... If you fly in and are on the ship for 3/4 days it takes you a full day or two to figure things out.

On our recent 4 day cruise, there were a lot of partiers, but there was still plenty of time and places to relax. especially if you are fairly early risers .We ate breakfast in the MDR and then relaxed on the serenity deck (Which was almost deserted in the morning because the partiers were sleeping). In the afternoons we tried out the activities in the fun times (or explored the port if it as a port day), took afternoon naps, the same things we do on longer cruises. We did early fixed dining (very quiet, did not have tablemates most nights), listened to musicians on the promenade deck, then did the shows or piano bar. Usually turned in early and got a great night's rest - the partiers were just getting started by then.

I say, if you can drive to port, a cruise can be a fun, inexpensive alternative to a couple of nights in a hotel. If you end up not liking it, you haven't spent that much. I'm for giving it a try.

I have only done a 4 night cruise and I didn't feel like it was all partying at all. I felt it was very relaxed and laid back. I did see people drinking but at no time did I ever feel like it was wild or out of control. We had a wonderful time and are going on another 4 night cruise. I say go for it!

Just finished a one day, have a three day in December, two one days in May. Love them all, they are mini adventures. I was not able to go, but some from the roll call actually met the night before the cruise for dinner. I have never experienced bad behaviour or excessive drinking on these short cruises, but that could because they are in the Pacific North West and on Princess. Go, have fun. We treat them as a night out. Where else can you get three meals, dinner, entertainment and dancing for the price of the cruise?

I tried a short cruise once. By the time I got into the rhythm of the cruise, it was time to get off. It's just not enough time to enjoy yourself. That is, unless you are only planning on non-stop drinking and partying - which a lot of your fellow passengers will be doing, a sometimes not so relaxing situation for the people around them.

Agree.

We were only going to be 3 points shy :eek: of hitting Elite status after our Alaska cruise - and we wanted it in place for the next - a 15 nighter. So we booked a short 3 nighter to get those points. This works as a nice little mini vaca for us because 1) we live in FL and can easily drive to port 2) the cruise was so CHEAP plus we got free grats, free bev package and $200. OBC!!

We've been on 1 other Celebrity short cruise - was it more a party atmosphere than what you'd normally find - yes but we really saw no huge difference.

Short cruises can be a great way to try a different line without committing an entire vacation. Go, have fun and happy anniversary!!!!

Even if we lived near a port, I would never go on a short 3 or 4 day cruise.

We like peace and quiet when we cruise -- don't want to be around a bunch of party people.

We are the party people that your mother warned you about. We take short cruises every year with a group of family and friends. We have had as many as 30 in our group. We book early and send out the date, and the shortness of it ensures that many can fit it into their lives without infringing on their own longer vacations. We dance and drink and sing and carry on like most of the other passengers on this Booze Cruise. We always find a party at the main pool, and leave the quite pool to those who want to relax. So everyone can have the cruise they want.

Hubby and I planned to do a three night mini trip for our anniversary. We were/are going to get a nice hotel on the beach and just enjoy some "us" time. We have cruised before and enjoyed it. I just came across a deal where either a three or four night cruise would probably be cheaper than what we were going to do at a hotel. We've only done seven night cruises before so just wondering what your thoughts are on a shorter cruise?

Since you don't mention a specific date when you want to go, I'll suggest this. Book a four day New Year's cruise. Sure, there'll be some partying, but for a good reason. The ship will still be decorated for Christmas. And you could make it a double celebration, New Year's and your anniversary. ;) We went on a four day New Year's cruise a few years ago and had a great time. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I can't think of a better to welcome in the new year (unless, of course, it was a 7 day cruise).

Even if we lived near a port, I would never go on a short 3 or 4 day cruise.

We like peace and quiet when we cruise -- don't want to be around a bunch of party people.

I just got back Friday from a 4 day on Carnival Ecstacy. It didn't have the feel of a wild booze cruise. I really loved it a lot

We do live very close to 2 ports so flying would not be an issue. I had a feeling the shorter cruises might be a party atmosphere. While I don't begrudge those that enjoy that, we do not. I think it might be best for us to stick to our original plan on land and then start planning a longer cruise for another time. Thanks to everyone for your help! :)

If you don't have to fly to it and you want a nice little getaway, when all is said and done, a 3/4 day cruise is often considerably less $$$$ then a 3/4 day getaway to a resort or large city. So again, if the reason is just a nice little getaway.....yes.