Poll: New Room Service Fee

cruise kitty

what do you think of the new room service fee?  

378 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think of the new room service fee?

• Modern Luxury at it's finest
    • Cheap & Tacky
    • Don't like it, but see that it's necessary
    • Think it's great, it'll cut down on waste
    • Something else I'll post below

As others, we would seldom use room service between 11pm and 6am, no not much of an issue. We always provide an extra cash tip when we do use room service anyway, so no difference. Is the fee considered a gratuity-- does the staff see any of the fee? If so, no different than prepaid grats on Select dining.

Edited by PartyAllDaTyme
speling

Well I say cheep and tacky. May have used it once when I missed diner as slept through after a nana nap.

However I have never stayed un a hotel where they charge more than other times for late night room service they may have a more restricted menu in those hours but still the same pricing. X could do the same, just sandwich (toasted or plain) or something they can zap in the microwave tea and coffee during those hours.

Thanks Terry! Coming from you that means a lot to me! I tried to include options for everyone on the poll, & was actually please to see that most posters were taking a very reasonable (to me) approach to this change. Happy sailing! & looking forward to your next review

Appreciate, cruise kitty, your nice comments and reply. I am sure you worked hard to structure your poll question and potential responses in a sincere, careful manner. BUT, getting such wording exactly "correct" is not always easy or simple. Especially figuring out the potential responses for people to check/pick. Having done hundreds of different poll questions, that can be challenging, even for the professionals. This is the kind of more complex issue where it might have taken two or three different questions to better measure and test what it's involved and the potential range of viewpoints possible. You've raised an interesting point and attracted a wide range of comments and responses. Keep up the good thoughts and pushing to explore people's varied opinions.

Next review?: Am finalizing our early 2016 South Africa/Botswana adventure. Will have a ten-day cruise along the South Africa coast to Mozambique and back. Plus, lots of pre- and post-cruise exploring and excitement. Unfortunately, Celebrity does not offer options in that part of the world and we are using another cruise line. BUT, I am aiming for lots of pictures and postings. Hope you will follow along starting in late January. Just Google TLCOhio, South Africa and Live to find those postings after January 29, 2016. Hopefully in the future, Celebrity will add future options to more and added exotic locations such as South Africa, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 28,911 views for these postings.

Let's face it folks, our job as a consumer is to get as much as possible for the least amount of money. Celebrity's job is to make as much money as possible.

Those two objectives are not always compatible. When we as consumers feel the cost or service is no longer in line with what we feel is a value for what is being charged, we have a choice to make. Either take our business elsewhere or suck it up and pay more than we eat to pay.

Celebrity needs to make decisions about pricing and service levels that return the highest profit levels to shareholders. When those decisions are made, sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong. That is why the CEO makes the big bucks. Ultimately the bottom line determines if the decision was right or wrong. If they are wrong to often they will be out of a job. If they are right more often than wrong they see bigger bonuses.

This decision to add a service charge is a minor change to their pricing. I can assure you they have looked at the metrics on how many guests use room service between these times. They also know their labor and food costs during these times. The decision to add the service charge and its amount was put in a spreadsheet with different amounts figured in along with assumptions about how many guests would continue to choose to order with another assumption on how many guests would fall out and not order due to the charge. At that point they decided how much and what hours to add the new charge.

There is minimal risk on this one. I'm sure they figured they would not lose any guest to another cruise line due to adding the charge.

Yes I know there are some folks who will knee jerk react and say I'll never cruise X again but my guess is they will not follow through unless they were already planning to leave.

Just my opinion and thoughts.

Let's face it folks, our job as a consumer is to get as much as possible for the least amount of money. Celebrity's job is to make as much money as possible.

Those two objectives are not always compatible. When we as consumers feel the cost or service is no longer in line with what we feel is a value for what is being charged, we have a choice to make. Either take our business elsewhere or suck it up and pay more than we eat to pay.

Celebrity needs to make decisions about pricing and service levels that return the highest profit levels to shareholders. When those decisions are made, sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong. That is why the CEO makes the big bucks. Ultimately the bottom line determines if the decision was right or wrong. If they are wrong to often they will be out of a job. If they are right more often than wrong they see bigger bonuses.

This decision to add a service charge is a minor change to their pricing. I can assure you they have looked at the metrics on how many guests use room service between these times. They also know their labor and food costs during these times. The decision to add the service charge and its amount was put in a spreadsheet with different amounts figured in along with assumptions about how many guests would continue to choose to order with another assumption on how many guests would fall out and not order due to the charge. At that point they decided how much and what hours to add the new charge.

There is minimal risk on this one. I'm sure they figured they would not lose any guest to another cruise line due to adding the charge.

Yes I know there are some folks who will knee jerk react and say I'll never cruise X again but my guess is they will not follow through unless they were already planning to leave.

Just my opinion and thoughts.

Very well thought out & laid out, thanks!

Well I say cheep and tacky. May have used it once when I missed diner as slept through after a nana nap.

However I have never stayed un a hotel where they charge more than other times for late night room service they may have a more restricted menu in those hours but still the same pricing. X could do the same, just sandwich (toasted or plain) or something they can zap in the microwave tea and coffee during those hours.

You are correct. Hotels overcharge for everything 24/7. Celebrity's room service is free 17 out of 24 hours.

I have never ordered food between those times and I just can't believe that there are many within the Celebrity demographic wanting to eat at 3am.

Please remember that some of us travel across many time zones before we board ships-Celebrity don't only sail in the Caribbean:cool:

When we boarded Millennium in Hong Kong last December, we came straight from the airport after a 12 hour flight from Amsterdam.

As it takes a couple of days to adjust to the time difference, 3.00am ships time was 8.00pm according to the time zone we were still on.

Imagine going to bed without having dinner, unable to sleep because your body is telling you that it is time to get up, and then being penalised because you want to have dinner when your body is telling you it's time for dinner.

(Yes-we did have dinner before we went to bed, but that was at 8.00pm ships time (1.00pm to us) so it was lunch really:D)

This is very short sighted of Celebrity.

I've used room service quite a bit, usually to get coffee first ting in the morning, though we have gotten the occasional full breakfast when we have an early excursion to get to.

With that said, if that fee is going directly to the person making the delivery, I am more than happy to pay it. If not, then I'll place my order and have it delivered at 6:05 and tip the delivery person a few bucks.

Celebrity is already getting a few grand out of me, I would prefer to not be "nickel and dimed" to death.

After an evening of shows and dancing my husband often orders a sandwhich from room service. That perk adds a special touch to the cruise experience! RCI ships charge between midnight and 5:00. I thought they implemented it because so many teens are on board who abuse room service.

Also there is very limited food service avaiable elsewhere on their ships late at night. 11:00 PM is way too early as many guests are out and about until midnight!

I don't believe that Princess or HAL are charging- YET!

Little by little the special touches that set cruising apart from just staying in a hotel are coming with an additional charge.

I hope the chocolate on the pillow has retuned. What a disappointment last year to find an Oreo cookie instead!

Edited by luv4cruises
Typo

I clicked the "Don't like it, but see that it's necessary"

As others have mentioned on the other thread, don't order that late, don't care, but I see that it is necessary.

I think the cruise lines should shut down the kitchens at 11:00 or 12:00 pm till just before the sun comes up, and it is time for the starved masses to have breakfast. :D

I frequently wake up around 5:00am and can't get back to sleep. So, I read and would like a cup of coffee while I read. So, I call for room service for coffee for 1 so I don't have to get dressed to go upstairs to get the cup of coffee. Am I lazy or is this to help me enjoy the Luxury of Celebrity. I've always tipped when the coffee was delivered.

In a hotel room, they usually have something to make coffee so room service isn't necessary.

For a cup of coffee, I think that it's cheap and tacky. Again, just my humble opinion

I don't understand the need to eat in the middle of the night. It can't be that common, and it's expensive to keep the kitchen open for the few people that can't wait until breakfast to shovel more food into themselves. I don't see a problem charging extra for it.

What do you think about Celebrity's new room service fee for service between 11pm & 6 am?

Modern Luxury ? Or cheap & tacky? My opinion is cheap & tacky, & not fitting in with their brand image.

Anyway, answer the poll, hopefully I've given good choices :)

I'm in agreement with you. Not in keeping with the Celebrity image and more in line with mass-market lines that are known for nickel and diming. Celebrity wants to promote itself as "modern luxury" and this isn't the way to do it. Apparently the grass isn't always greener on Celebrity!

While it will have no effect on me as I rarely order room service at any time of the day or night, it does open the door for more of these types of fees and that is my concern. Then it becomes of question of what makes Celebrity a step above other lines? One little change doesn't seem like much but start adding them up and the product becomes diluted.

These fees are also a way for Celebrity to gauge the impact of these types of charges. Most people seem to say they don't care so that opens the door for more of the same.

I noticed AquaClass, Concierge and Suites still get free - this isn't good Celebrity - if you are charging for one - charge for all.

We DO on occasion use late night room service - and actually would be happy to pay - Do Celebrity still do Boxed Pizza delivery? If so - those (the minority are on CC) who Club late - will use this service in the wee sma' hours.. Ourselves included.

I think they should offer FREE room service to all until 12.30am. Then 12.30am - 6.30am - a charge for all - and yes, including suites - their Butler wont be working at 3am can assure you of that - have always travelled in suites - its the same room service team (albeit the nightshift) who service all other cabins during the night.

Staff working the night shift love room service orders - they know - guests have had a few drinks - the tips flow as free as the wine!

I don't like the free to some guests charge for others -

I am in the free category so not being biased. So - inside cabin to balcony pays, concierge to suites free... nah ... not nice Celebrity.

Free for all to a reasonable time - 11pm is too early - Stretch that a little later but then make it chargeable for all.

I noticed AquaClass, Concierge and Suites still get free - this isn't good Celebrity - if you are charging for one - charge for all.

We DO on occasion use late night room service - and actually would be happy to pay - Do Celebrity still do Boxed Pizza delivery? If so - those (the minority are on CC) who Club late - will use this service in the wee sma' hours.. Ourselves included.

I think they should offer FREE room service to all until 12.30am. Then 12.30am - 6.30am - a charge for all - and yes, including suites - their Butler wont be working at 3am can assure you of that - have always travelled in suites - its the same room service team (albeit the nightshift) who service all other cabins during the night.

Staff working the night shift love room service orders - they know - guests have had a few drinks - the tips flow as free as the wine!

I am in the free category so not being biased. So - inside cabin to balcony pays, concierge to suites free... nah ... not nice Celebrity.

Free for all to a reasonable time - 11pm is too early - Stretch that a little later but then make it chargeable for all.

While I agree with you the new face of Celebrity is segregation among the classes. Separate dining rooms and venues for suite guests, separate dining room for Aqua, and Concierge and Aqua have some perks others don't receive. I guess this is one of them. I'm booked in a C2 but I still won't be ordering during the off hours. We usually stop by the cafe before it closes to get a coffee/tea and some type of confection to bring to our room. To tell you the truth if they did charge for delivery and I needed a burger so bad at 3am I would just pay and not tip. It doesn't matter to me which pocket the money comes out of. As far as the server he is covered under the auto tip.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I can see young people out late at night, drinking, and wanting a late night something. I guess they'll just have to pay. :rolleyes:

There are other reasons someone might be very glad that there IS late-night room service.... for me personally, I once needed it around 2am when I woke up with a migraine. I have to eat something prior to taking my medication, so I ordered.

The girl who brought my sandwich was very nice; as soon as she saw I wasn't doing well she asked if I needed anything else.... and she brought me a glass of juice without charging me extra for that trip. :)

She must have passed on the message that I wasn't feeling well to our room steward, because he inquired the following morning and was obviously relieved when I explained it was a headache. He actually provided some very helpful/useful information... areas of the ship that people have found trigger migraines, a few suggestions of home remedies, etc.

Ok... got a little off-topic, sorry! :o

I would for sure agree 11 pm is too early to institute a fee. They are still having activities onboard. One would like to think that after a show, dancing or gambling, they could still get some standard and FREE room service. I would start at midnight or 12:30 am personally, but I don't like ANY fee for room service. How many people are using it after midnight for example anyway?! Either it is used a lot or it is not.

I disagree with you on free for everyone if that is one of the ways to justify the higher pricing for the higher cabin categories. One could argue they pre paid for it in their cabin cost whether they use it or not.

I am becoming more concerned with the 'class' issue of Celebrity and that feeling that if I do not pre pay/spend more money, I do not get the opportunity to enjoy certain features and thus benefits of sailing with Celebrity. IMHO, the one I am struggling with is the rumored elimination of, for example the SS United States, on Infinity. That genre of restaurant and its atmosphere was one of the main reasons I sailed Celebrity again after our first cruise! We always ate there multiple times. Now to get that type of experience/atmosphere I think I have to sail in a suite if the rumors are true for M class ships. Tuscan and Murano and Qsine are NOT the same IMHO!

I may be 'classed' out of Celebrity in the future.

Edited by shipshape sam

I'm in agreement with you. Not in keeping with the Celebrity image and more in line with mass-market lines that are known for nickel and diming. Celebrity wants to promote itself as "modern luxury" and this isn't the way to do it. Apparently the grass isn't always greener on Celebrity!

While it will have no effect on me as I rarely order room service at any time of the day or night, it does open the door for more of these types of fees and that is my concern. Then it becomes of question of what makes Celebrity a step above other lines? One little change doesn't seem like much but start adding them up and the product becomes diluted.

These fees are also a way for Celebrity to gauge the impact of these types of charges. Most people seem to say they don't care so that opens the door for more of the same.

Celebrity is a mass market cruise line. Check the pricing, it is in line with HAL, RCCL, NCL, etc

This nickel and diming reminds me of the way airlines have changed.

Airline: You want to fly to X. Okay would you like that direct or with stops? Do you want the class of fare that gives you full points or just half the points? Would like to select a seat or not? Would you like to pay extra for a Premium seat? Would you like a pillow or a blanket? Do you want to eat or not? etc..All these extras get added to your airline ticket fee. Why can't airlines and CRUISE LINES ask for a price that covers all the incidentals??

:rolleyes::confused::eek::mad: