Cancellation Due to Death

What forms, numbers, etc. do you need to cancel your cruise due to death? My brother and his (late) wife had planned a cruise next year and with her passing away, I would like to help him. Do you also think he will receive a full refund?

Thanks for any assistance.

What forms, numbers, etc. do you need to cancel your cruise due to death? My brother and his (late) wife had planned a cruise next year and with her passing away, I would like to help him. Do you also think he will receive a full refund?

If the cruise is more than 75 days away, you should be able to get a full refund.

If your brother is before final payment and it is a US or Canada booking, he can cancel and get all his money back. If he is after final payment but has insurance, he should get all of his money back except his insurance.

A few more details will help you get the correct answers.

We had a family member pass away within a month of a cruise. Royal issued a full refund to the estate. They did not have insurance and the total refunded was almost $20,000. Call Royal direct or go through your travel agent if a travel agent was used.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

First off, my condolences to you and your family.

Unfortunately, I have recent experience as my husband died the day before our cruise in August and we had other cruises booked.

If you are in the U.S and the cruise is before the final payment date, you will just have to call and all money will be refunded to the credit from which it was paid with the exception of the cruise insurance.

If you are past final payment date and have cruise insurance, you will have to call RC and cancel the cruise, they will refund whatever you entitled which depends on how many days before the cruise you are. They will also give your the cruise insurance number who will send you a packet to fill out and return and they will refund the rest except for the cost of the insurance. You will need a copy of the death certificate to submit with the forms. The insurance will issue the checks in the name of each passenger and to the estate for your sister in law. The refunds from Royal took a few days to hit the credit card and the insurance took about three weeks for the date I returned the forms.

If you do not have cruise insurance and it is past final payment you will get the fees and only the percentage of the fare based on number of days before the cruise. You also get all excursions and other items you purchased for onboard.

I hope this helps.

Mary

PlutO. First thank you and sorry for your loss also. I don't know if they have the insurance or not, but I'm going to try to get it all finished asap.

I appreciate your thoroughness. It is really a big help.

Thank you again.

So sorry for loss. It sounds like you are well in advance to get full refund. I have had a fair amount of experience in being an estate administrator. Refunds, cancellations and the likes depend on company in terms of paper work. The executor or administrator usually needs to provide death certificate and letters of administration. The probate provides letters after 10 or 14 days I think. Pretty easy to get if you are immediate first degree relative and/or there is a legal will. Sounds like you should be fine for refund. Again my condolences.

But the bad part is she is the one that booked it, so now we need to search for the papers.

You shouldn't need to look for any papers -- your brother can call RCI and cancel it himself.

If it was booked through a travel agent instead of directly, RCI can give him the name of the agent, and the agent can then be contacted to cancel the cruise.

As others have stated, since it is before final payment, a full refund of any deposit/payments will be made.

It sounds to me like a cancel is a cancel and the published cancellation rules always apply regardless of the reason. However, if there is trip insurance, then the reason may be relevant to the insurance provider.

So sorry for loss. It sounds like you are well in advance to get full refund. I have had a fair amount of experience in being an estate administrator. Refunds, cancellations and the likes depend on company in terms of paper work. The executor or administrator usually needs to provide death certificate and letters of administration. The probate provides letters after 10 or 14 days I think. Pretty easy to get if you are immediate first degree relative and/or there is a legal will. Sounds like you should be fine for refund. Again my condolences.

These measures will NOT be necessary. If the OP's information about the cruise date is correct (February of 2017), all deposits are fully refundable for any reason (or no reason). She will not need to make any explanation at all.

This has me thinking though - if final payment is not made on time, does the cruise line automatically deem the booking to be cancelled and refund the deposit?

Edited by ronandannette

These measures will NOT be necessary. If the OP's information about the cruise date is correct (February of 2017), all deposits are fully refundable for any reason (or no reason). She will not need to make any explanation at all.

This has me thinking though - if final payment is not made on time, does the cruise line automatically deem the booking to be cancelled and refund the deposit?

My understanding has always been that the cruise line will automatically cancel the booking, but keep the deposit.

True, though she said "next year" which likely means Feb of 2016.

If I suddenly died, I would want my husband to go on the cruise I had planned. And I would hope he has listened to me (talking about when my mom died) and wouldn't make ANY decisions in that first month...