Mariners lunch

Flob1954

Things vary on HAL, ship by ship, week by week for various reasons.

Members on this board have reported yes, no to the question if the MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day.

My point here is: it is up to you to verify. Just walk over to the MDR, both levels, after noon and see for yourself. If it is open, it will now be to everyone, not just Mariner.

This sums it up perfectly. Everything varies, it seems, from ship to ship, with no hard and fast rule about anything. All I know is, it is so nice to be able to drop off my carryon, check the cabin and then go looking for some lunch without being encumbered. I would avoid the Lido if the MDR is not open, but would happily order at the Dive-In instead. Go with the flow.

Holland America's website says: "Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch". Their disclaimer: "HAL reserves the right to modify or terminate the Program, or to change the Terms & Conditions of participation and benefits of the Program, in whole or in part, at any time with or without notice."

Holland America's website says: "Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch". Their disclaimer: "HAL reserves the right to modify or terminate the Program, or to change the Terms & Conditions of participation and benefits of the Program, in whole or in part, at any time with or without notice."

Which HAL has done, with the Mariner Embarkation Lunch.

On every single one of our cruises (NCL, Princess and HAL) we have always been told at embarkation when we first set foot on the ship : "Lunch is being served in Lido or whatever it is called on that particular ship." Have we ever listened ? ... "NO" , and we head straight to the Dining Room and have never been refused entry...NEVER!

Like the Nike ad says "Just Do It" ;)

Edited by taxmantoo

The Mariner lunch was still held in April and May when I did a back to back on the Ryndam. However, when I did the 14 day Alaskan itinerary on the Statendam in July, the dining room was closed. The hotel manager told me they were doing a reception in the Crow's Nest for Mariners instead. So, cheap champagne and wine replaced one of the better meals of the cruise.

The Mariner lunch was still held in April and May when I did a back to back on the Ryndam. However, when I did the 14 day Alaskan itinerary on the Statendam in July, the dining room was closed. The hotel manager told me they were doing a reception in the Crow's Nest for Mariners instead. So, cheap champagne and wine replaced one of the better meals of the cruise.

But, the MDR is often open for lunch on embarkation day. To everyone.

It is sad that HAL can't have the same rules on all their ships.

I get so tired of all the inconsistancies from one ship to another.

I wouldn't mind so much if there was some variation from ship to ship as long as they published the information on the website or in your edocs and stuck to it.

But, the MDR is often open for lunch on embarkation day. To everyone.

It was not open that day. That's where I ran into the Hotel Manager, and he said the reception was held instead. I ended up with some tasteless salmon in the Lido, and a couple of huge splinters from a table in the Lido.

It was not open that day. That's where I ran into the Hotel Manager, and he said the reception was held instead. I ended up with some tasteless salmon in the Lido, and a couple of huge splinters from a table in the Lido.

I hope on your next HAL cruise the MDR is open for you!

What are the current Mariner's Benefits we can count on whenever we board an HAL ship?

I don't mean the Star Mariner amenities that attach to Star Level. I mean Embarkation Lunch, Mariners Brunch, Medallion Award gathering prior to Mariner's Brunch or any other Mariner event that is consistently offered?

Thanks.

What are the current Mariner's Benefits we can count on whenever we board an HAL ship?

I don't mean the Star Mariner amenities that attach to Star Level. I mean Embarkation Lunch, Mariners Brunch, Medallion Award gathering prior to Mariner's Brunch or any other Mariner event that is consistently offered?

Thanks.

Who knows, Sail. See HAL's disclaimer: post 29 on this thread.

Things are changing fast and furiously.

Why not call the Mariner Society and see if they have any ideas and plans that they are willing to share.

We will be arriving from Milan to Venice by train to board The Eurodam. This will be the first time we will not attend what we have always done with the Mariners lunch since we leave that evening at 9pm. We always go to our fav restaurant near St. Marks Sq when in Venice so we will do that. I will miss those quiet lunches on embarkation.

Denise:)