Mariners lunch

Flob1954

From now on for $10 a head, sea days for us will be lunch in the PG, not the Mariner's Luncheon. Unless of course it is a warm weather cruise for which we have a Retreat Cabana.:) I did ask the Neptune Lounge Concierge to make sure we got our tile on the Noordam two weeks ago. She said we would ... we didn't.

Dennis

From now on for $10 a head, sea days for us will be lunch in the PG, not the Mariner's Luncheon. Unless of course it is a warm weather cruise for which we have a Retreat Cabana.:) I did ask the Neptune Lounge Concierge to make sure we got our tile on the Noordam two weeks ago. She said we would ... we didn't.

Dennis

We go for the tiles more than anything else. On our last cruise, we were two couples at 3 stars and one couple on their first HAL cruise (they'd done only one river cruise before that). Since we get two tiles at the Mariner lunch, we gave one of ours to the newbies, since they had already booked their next HAL cruise while on board their first.

We go for the tiles more than anything else. On our last cruise, we were two couples at 3 stars and one couple on their first HAL cruise (they'd done only one river cruise before that). Since we get two tiles at the Mariner lunch, we gave one of ours to the newbies, since they had already booked their next HAL cruise while on board their first.

That was very nice of you to give one of your tiles to the new cruisers.

This is not standard anymore. Our September Noordam Alaska 7 day did not have the embarkation lunch.

Dennis

And on our Veendam cruise in September, they did. And it was open to all, not just Mariners.

Another "maybe" thing on HAL. Best bet is to check the On Location to see if it lists hours for the MDR or else just go and see if it's open.

This is not standard anymore. Our September Noordam Alaska 7 day did not have the embarkation lunch.

Dennis

I'm wondering about it myself.:confused: On checking the Mariner's benefits a couple of days ago I notice it says nothing about lunch on embarkation day, only mentions an afternoon reception. Perhaps because there are so many they have done away with it. Shame. Hopefully, though, we can still eat in the MDR on embarkation day.

It seems that embarkation lunch is now open for all passengers, so, yes, it is true that there is no more Mariners Embarkation Lunch. At least this seems to be the case for most sailings.

Some embarkations however will not have the MDR opened up due to special events, like press events or USCG inspection on first sailing of the saison from the USA, or Noro,...

I'm wondering about it myself.:confused: On checking the Mariner's benefits a couple of days ago I notice it says nothing about lunch on embarkation day, only mentions an afternoon reception. Perhaps because there are so many they have done away with it. Shame. Hopefully, though, we can still eat in the MDR on embarkation day.

No embarkament lunch and the MDR was NOT open on our NA Sept cruise.

Things vary on HAL, ship by ship, week by week for various reasons.

Members on this board have reported yes, no to the question if the MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day.

My point here is: it is up to you to verify. Just walk over to the MDR, both levels, after noon and see for yourself. If it is open, it will now be to everyone, not just Mariner.

We prefer going to Lido but many times when we boarded, I asked at the gangway if there was a Mariners Lunch and was always told no. Do not accept that as accurate as they automatically direct everyone to Lido as we board. I don't know why but if you want to have lunch in MDR, go there and see if they are serving.

Things vary on HAL, ship by ship, week by week for various reasons.

Members on this board have reported yes, no to the question if the MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day.

My point here is: it is up to you to verify. Just walk over to the MDR, both levels, after noon and see for yourself. If it is open, it will now be to everyone, not just Mariner.

Try the lower level first. If the MDR is open on embarkation day, lunch is usually on that level.

We prefer going to Lido but many times when we boarded, I asked at the gangway if there was a Mariners Lunch and was always told no. Do not accept that as accurate as they automatically direct everyone to Lido as we board. I don't know why but if you want to have lunch in MDR, go there and see if they are serving.

Things have changed a lot in the last couple of years Sail. I have found the Mariner's Embarkation is posted in the On Location on the cruises we have been on. No need to ask.

But, if it's not there, I would definitely head to the lower level dining room (except on the P'dam of course) and check.

Things have changed a lot in the last couple of years Sail. I have found the Mariner's Embarkation is posted in the On Location on the cruises we have been on. No need to ask.

But, if it's not there, I would definitely head to the lower level dining room (except on the P'dam of course) and check.

Kaz,

Unless one is going directly to their cabin, they do not have the On Location. If they wish to go to MDR, given the relatively short serving hours, many will ask at the gangway. That has not changed. The service hours in MDR are limited.

Also, there are many who don't read On Location until way later in the day, if at all. ;)

I never held that as a priority. I got to it whenever I got to it. Asking questions at gangway is not so unusual. :)

As to changes, when one reads CC as much as I do, it isn't hard to keep up with the many changes. :rolleyes:

Edited by sail7seas

Kaz,

Unless one is going directly to their cabin, they do not have the On Location. If they wish to go to MDR, given the relatively short serving hours, many will ask at the gangway. That has not changed. The service hours in MDR are limited.

Also, there are many who don't read On Location until way later in the day, if at all. ;)

I never held that as a priority. I got to it whenever I got to it. Asking questions at gangway is not so unusual. :)

As to changes, when one reads CC as much as I do, it isn't hard to keep up with the many changes. :rolleyes:

Sail,

Many go to their cabins first since cabins are available most times.

What you may have experienced and what we do are two different things.

I have never asked at the gangplank nor have I heard anyone else.

I was simply sharing information.

I am sorry if that caused you to "roll eyes".

there are other experiences on ships that I think are worth sharing.

Smooth seas.

Of course, there are varied experiences. My experiences and yours likely vary in many areas and all are valid. Mine not less than anyone else's. :) Some people lug lots as carryon with them when boarding and need to drop it in their cabin before they go to lunch. They may or may not even glance at On Location. Other people board toting very little with them and wish to go immediately to MDR lunch. I've heard people ask time and again whether lunch was being served there. Depending what time they get to board, the brief open hours make it important to go directly to lunch if they wish to be seated.

I don't understand your confusion.

Edited by sail7seas

Sail,

Many go to their cabins first since cabins are available most times.

What you may have experienced and what we do are two different things.

I have never asked at the gangplank nor have I heard anyone else.

I was simply sharing information.

I am sorry if that caused you to "roll eyes".

there are other experiences on ships that I think are worth sharing.

Smooth seas.

I agree Kazu. I have never ever heard anyone other than me ask about the MDR being open when we board the ship. And I don't do it on the gangway, I do it once we are actually standing on the ship. In my experience there's never been anyone on the gangway to ask. I've always needed to be physically on the ship. The crew member checking us in has no time for conversation.

I agree Kazu. I have never ever heard anyone other than me ask about the MDR being open when we board the ship. And I don't do it on the gangway, I do it once we are actually standing on the ship. In my experience there's never been anyone on the gangway to ask. I've always needed to be physically on the ship. The crew member checking us in has no time for conversation.

So many times on this forum, the comment is made that just because you haven't seen or heard something does not mean it didn't happen. :cool: It only means you did not witness or experience it.

So many times on this forum, the comment is made that just because you haven't seen or heard something does not mean it didn't happen. :cool: It only means you did not witness or experience it.

Simply relating my personal experience. I presume that my personal experience is as valid as anyone's.