Millennium in Japan, Is Celebrity Cancelling Cruise

stevenr597

We are booked to sail on the Millennium out of Japan from Oct 16-30,2016. However when we attempt to look up the cruise on either Celebrity or by other booking agents such as Travelocity the cruise no longer appears. I had contacted Celebrity by telephone and was told that we were still booked for the cruise. Is Celebrity not telling us something?

We did hear rumors that it is being chartered or going into drydock.

We are booked to sail on the Millennium out of Japan from Oct 16-30,2016. However when we attempt to look up the cruise on either Celebrity or by other booking agents such as Travelocity the cruise no longer appears. I had contacted Celebrity by telephone and was told that we were still booked for the cruise. Is Celebrity not telling us something?

Several (maybe all?) Japan cruses with Millie last year ended up chartered. Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again.

My advice, be proactive and plan for a PLAN B now, so you can be among the first to find alternatives when/if it happens.

Celebrity won't formally announce until they have a fully executed contract and Letter of Guarantee and necessary cash deposit in hand from the charter, if this is what is going on.

Edited by cle-guy

Hello,

Our upcoming cruise on the Millie in Japan (Oct 23rd- nov 8th) had disapeared from the radar soon after we booked in May of last year. Go see our roll call and see all the commotion it caused... it came back for sale when X didn't sale every cabins. We understand that the 2 previous cruises have been chartered.

Keep your fingers crossed....

We were hit with cancelled Celebrity cruises Around Japan twice. First, the Century was sold and we eventually transferred to Singapore to Dubai in March 2015.

Our September Millennium Around Japan cruise set for this year was cancelled as well due to a charter. In fact, BOTH Around Japan cruises (the only for 2015) were cancelled due to charter.

This was extremely frustrating, but we did transfer to the Japan and China cruise 25 October, which hits four Japanese ports in addition to Tokyo. It also goes to Shanghai, Taiwan and ends in Hong Kong.

We paid the big bucks for the Chinese Visa for ONE day in Shanghai, even through we had been there before.

We believe the charters in 2015 were to Chinese.

Celebrity needs to decide if it will take care of its customers that want to cruise Japan or keep chartering.

Come and join the Roll Call, and you'll find out all about the fun we've had over the last couple of months. With this cruise disappearing and re-appearing from websites on numerous occasions. We've also had re-assurances from Senior UK Celebrity execs that we're not being chartered.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2136558

I wouldn't count too much on the uk statement....and if they do cancel, you'll be lucky if you even get an apology. No one will care what the uk office told you...after all it was miamis 's decision....so sorry.

Hopefully they won't charter, but I'd suggest figuring out plan B, just in case.

Edited by ghstudio

I wouldn't count too much on the uk statement....and if they do cancel, you'll be lucky if you even get an apology. No one will care what the uk office told you...after all it was miamis 's decision....so sorry.

Hopefully they won't charter, but I'd suggest figuring out plan B, just in case.

I'm sure Celebrity UK CEO has some clout, it was her who a fair number off our Roll Call e-mailed. If she starts getting similar e-mails in the same day from numerous customers on the same cruise which at the time was still over a year out with their concern then she should look into it, or have someone else in a senior position do so.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm sure Celebrity UK CEO has some clout, it was her who a fair number off our Roll Call e-mailed. If she starts getting similar e-mails in the same day from numerous customers on the same cruise which at the time was still over a year out with their concern then she should look into it, or have someone else in a senior position do so.

Thing is they charter all the time, they are used to having 2000 unhappy people to deal with when it happens. It's part of the day-to-day. There are 6 charters just from Jan to March net year that all needed managed (from Arno's charts).

While the UK CEO may have some clout, I don't know how much really, X only stations a ship in the UK for a few months a year. That CEO couldn't save the call centers, hasn't been able to reduce hold times, or provide a no-charge call in number. Heck I often read about how much the Brits think the teas offered are horrible, you'd expect the CEO would have power enough to at least manage a proper tea!

It's very rare (if at all) that charters are booked prior to placing cruises on sale, so the truth is, most of the time there will be displaced passengers, who may cry "I'm leaving, take that" but they forget that their spot was already filled. Nothing really lost, and potentially a charter guest becomes a lifelong guest to replace the few who actually leave permanently over such issues. Where they would go, I don't know, as all cruise lines do charters, and book them after cruises are on sale, and displace some already booked passengers.

It's also possible the exec is not privy to pending bookings, and honestly stated there wouldn't be a charter based on their knowledge, that doesn't mean tomorrow they won't accept a charter.

Who knows what the deal is with your specific cruise. But anytime I hear rumblings of possible charter, I protect myself by looking for PLAN B.

Thing is they charter all the time, they are used to having 2000 unhappy people to deal with when it happens. It's part of the day-to-day. There are 6 charters just from Jan to March net year that all needed managed (from Arno's charts).

While the UK CEO may have some clout, I don't know how much really, X only stations a ship in the UK for a few months a year. That CEO couldn't save the call centers, hasn't been able to reduce hold times, or provide a no-charge call in number. Heck I often read about how much the Brits think the teas offered are horrible, you'd expect the CEO would have power enough to at least manage a proper tea!

It's very rare (if at all) that charters are booked prior to placing cruises on sale, so the truth is, most of the time there will be displaced passengers, who may cry "I'm leaving, take that" but they forget that their spot was already filled. Nothing really lost, and potentially a charter guest becomes a lifelong guest to replace the few who actually leave permanently over such issues. Where they would go, I don't know, as all cruise lines do charters, and book them after cruises are on sale, and displace some already booked passengers.

It's also possible the exec is not privy to pending bookings, and honestly stated there wouldn't be a charter based on their knowledge, that doesn't mean tomorrow they won't accept a charter.

Who knows what the deal is with your specific cruise. But anytime I hear rumblings of possible charter, I protect myself by looking for PLAN B.

According to the email we received, the reason it's disappeared is that it's sold out.

According to the email we received, the reason it's disappeared is that it's sold out.

Yes, that's what they told the pax who had booked on Equinox next August - all cabins were sold out. In fact, this was not true and they had chartered the ship for the 3rd year in a row to Atlantis - X were still negotiating at that time. I'm not saying yours is the same, however, I'd definitely be cautious and have a Plan B.

Here's a link to the Equinox post and what they were told:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46735273#post46735273

Edited by villauk

Yes, that's what they told the pax who had booked on Equinox next August - all cabins were sold out. In fact, this was not true and they had chartered the ship for the 3rd year in a row to Atlantis - X were still negotiating at that time. I'm not saying yours is the same, however, I'd definitely be cautious and have a Plan B.

Here's a link to the Equinox post and what they were told:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46735273#post46735273

They also kept stringing along many booked pax on several cruises as they firmed up the charter of Infinity as a hotel for Oct 2016... we got tired of the uncertainty and moved to one of the few itins that still include Bonaire...hope it works out for us and for those with current concerns....

There should be a better way of doing this.....maybe once they book 15% , they do not accept a charter request or at least let inquiring pax know that a charter is possibly in the works!

• 4 weeks later...

We have three cabins booked on 11 Night Japan & Korea (Tokyo To Shanghai) sailing out of Tokyo on Sep 18 2016 and are worried the cruise will be cancelled because it has not been shown on any Celebrity site for weeks. I've searched online for "charter" but can't find anyone who is listing one yet. Anyone heard about that cruise? Celebrity is silent about why it is not showing for sale.

We are booked on the October 14, 2016 cruise departing from Tokyo. This cruise has also disappeared from their website. I called Celebrity and the person indicated that the their system has flagged the cruise "Code Red". This means they cannot do anything with respect to that cruise. No reservations, no changes etc. Does anyone know/heard what "Code Red" is all about.

We are booked on the October 14, 2016 cruise departing from Tokyo. This cruise has also disappeared from their website. I called Celebrity and the person indicated that the their system has flagged the cruise "Code Red". This means they cannot do anything with respect to that cruise. No reservations, no changes etc. Does anyone know/heard what "Code Red" is all about.

Usually some sort of redeployment. Major itinerary change, or perhaps a charter is intending to book it.

Not always the case but generally speaking, it will be one or the other.

It means for you, research and find a PLAN B just in case, so you can be first to find an alternative when/if they do contact you to tell you the ship is chartered.

Since this board is supposedly monitored by Celebrity, it would be so very helpful to get a definitive answer to these charter rumors. We all get different answers from various people at Celebrity to our questions, depending on who we talk with.

People on the Roll Calls for the September 18 and October 16 cruises need to know what is going on. Like us, many cruisers on the September 18 cruise have already booked air and have hotel reservations. We have put additional planning on hold, though.

Celebrity, your loyal cruisers deserve a definitive answer.

Thank goodness for this thread, after seeing that Millenium will sail from Shanghai to Tokyo in Oct, 2016. I purposely looked for the succeeding cruises that will depart from Tokyo but can't find any!!!!

Can someone post the IT of all Millenium sailings from Tokyo... including that 11 night Tokyo to Shanghai?

I have the info for the 11 Night September 18 cruise that is no longer listed.:

Sun 18 Sep Yokohama, Japan Embark

Mon 19 Sep Yokohama, Japan 5:00 PM

Tues 20 Sep Shimizu (Mt. Fuji), Japan 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

Wed 21 Sep Kobe, Japan 11:00 AM

Thurs 22 Sep Kobe, Japan 10:00 PM

Fri 23 Sep Kochi, Japan 9:00 AM 5:00 PM

Sat 24 Sep Kagoshima, Japan 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Sun 25 Sep Nagasaki, Japan 8:00 AM 9:00 PM

Mon 26 Sep Cheju City (Jeju), South Korea 9:00 AM 5:30 PM

Tues 27 Sep Pusan (Busan), South Korea 8:00 AM 10:00 PM

Weds 28 Sep At Sea

Thurs 29 Sep Shanghai, China 7:00 AM

I have the info for the 11 Night September 18 cruise that is no longer listed.:

Sun 18 Sep Yokohama, Japan Embark

Mon 19 Sep Yokohama, Japan 5:00 PM

Tues 20 Sep Shimizu (Mt. Fuji), Japan 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

Wed 21 Sep Kobe, Japan 11:00 AM

Thurs 22 Sep Kobe, Japan 10:00 PM

Fri 23 Sep Kochi, Japan 9:00 AM 5:00 PM

Sat 24 Sep Kagoshima, Japan 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Sun 25 Sep Nagasaki, Japan 8:00 AM 9:00 PM

Mon 26 Sep Cheju City (Jeju), South Korea 9:00 AM 5:30 PM

Tues 27 Sep Pusan (Busan), South Korea 8:00 AM 10:00 PM

Weds 28 Sep At Sea

Thurs 29 Sep Shanghai, China 7:00 AM

thanks, now that is one of the most intensive cruise I've ever seen...

• 1 month later...

Just discovered today that the Millennium, Sept 18 2016 cruise is being advertised by Seacourses for a conference aimed at the medical profession, this is despite it still not reappearing on travel agent websites. http://www.seacourses.com/sept-18---29-2016---tokyo---shanghai---celebrity-millennium.html . At least we know it's still going!

Several (maybe all?) Japan cruses with Millie last year ended up chartered. Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again.

My advice, be ready to expect compensation for the cruise. You can be among the first to find alternatives when/if it happens.

Celebrity won't formally announce until they have a fully executed contract and Letter of Guarantee and necessary cash deposit in hand from the charter, if this is what is going on.

Hope it works well for you.

My advice, be proactive and plan for a PLAN B now, so you can be among the first to find alternatives when/if it happens.

At what point - how many months prior to cruise date - were the cancellations announced?

At what point - how many months prior to cruise date - were the cancellations announced?

We had reservations on the Millennium September 2015 trans-Pacific with a Vancouver to Tokyo itinerary, and then the next around Japan cruise which started and ended in Tokyo for a B2B set. Both the trans-Pacific and the next two Japan cruises were suddenly not available on the Celebrity website. A number of people on those roll calls, including me, had suspicions that the Japanese cruises had been chartered. Celebrity finally confirmed our suspicions that the trans-Pacific itinerary had been changed to end in China, and the two Japanese cruises had been chartered by a Chinese travel company. While I don't have my paperwork on the modified itinerary and chartered cruise any longer it is my memory that we were officially informed in July 2014. While folks on the roll calls had been researching private excursion options we were informed before anyone was able to book airfare.

We had reservations on the Millennium September 2015 trans-Pacific with a Vancouver to Tokyo itinerary, and then the next around Japan cruise which started and ended in Tokyo for a B2B set. Both the trans-Pacific and the next two Japan cruises were suddenly not available on the Celebrity website. A number of people on those roll calls, including me, had suspicions that the Japanese cruises had been chartered. Celebrity finally confirmed our suspicions that the trans-Pacific itinerary had been changed to end in China, and the two Japanese cruises had been chartered by a Chinese travel company. While I don't have my paperwork on the modified itinerary and chartered cruise any longer it is my memory that we were officially informed in July 2014. While folks on the roll calls had been researching private excursion options we were informed before anyone was able to book airfare.

Thank you so much for your response. Our cruise is in September 2016 - less than 9 months out. We have already booked our air, and have started looking at private excursions, but have been reluctant to book anything else. We are hoping that our cruise will not be modified or cancelled, since many passengers already have non-cancellable air reservations.