Magic to Do - Crown Princess - 10/10/15

Working 2 Cruise

I had been invited to a reception and to previous the new show by Steven Schwartz, who was in attendance m

Well, it was quite an adventure for us

First, our transportation was 45 minutes late, leaving us sweltering in a 110 degree heat...

Then, we arrive on the ship around 1:30 and went to Club Fusion. Appetizers were served, the best being, hands down, the bacon wrapped scallops. Wine, beer and the new Magic to Do drink, were served.

Time to go to the show. All 50 of us traipsed through the ship to the theater, where it filled up. Then, the show starts. Lo and behold, two minutes into the show, the Crown lost power... :mad:

The cast of the Love Boat came to the rescue. Jill Wheelan, Gavin McLeod, Isaac and Doc were on hand to rescue the situation. This is where we heard Captain Stubing tell the story of the Rose Bowl and Depends!

After 30 minutes, power was reinstated and the show resumed. It's great! Some new songs and some most of us have heard before. Beautiful! Unfortunately, once again, we failed to meet with Astroflyer...:mad::mad:

It's always devastating to have to disembark!

We saw the show on our Sept. 23rd sailing on the Crown. Maybe with all the hype I expected too much....I was not thrilled with it. There were 6 of us and 2 fell asleep and then woke and left. One of them said the magic was very simple. The 4 of us would have left but were more polite and stayed. Various people left during the show. I thought it was to be all new but as the previous poster said, there were some old songs such as Colour of the Wind. I did not find it flowed well. The singers and dancers did a wonderful job though. Steven Schwartz was there for the show to and disembarked at the end of the cruise.

My wife and I saw it today (10/10/15) on the Crown. I don't like magic shows. So I was a little hesitant. But I am glad we went. It was a great show. I have been cruising with Princess for 7 years and this production was the best production I have seen on a Princess ship. It was very well done. Very professional. And it was not a magic show with music. It was a musical with magic. Big difference. The magic was what you would expect to see in normal average magic show. What was interesting was that the performers (singers and dancers) did the magic. One performer was doing the standard ring trick and singing at the same time. Me I can't chew gum and walk at the same time.

This show is way better than the traditional Princess production. I would recommend seeing it if you have the chance.

My wife and I saw it today (10/10/15) on the Crown. I don't like magic shows. So I was a little hesitant. But I am glad we went. It was a great show. I have been cruising with Princess for 7 years and this production was the best production I have seen on a Princess ship. It was very well done. Very professional. And it was not a magic show with music. It was a musical with magic. Big difference. The magic was what you would expect to see in normal average magic show. What was interesting was that the performers (singers and dancers) did the magic. One performer was doing the standard ring trick and singing at the same time. Me I can't chew gum and walk at the same time.

This show is way better than the traditional Princess production. I would recommend seeing it if you have the chance.

I completely agree with you!

My friend Mike is IN it and I'm so excited to finally see reactions to it! I went to high school with him; he has always done magic and graduated with a musical theater degree so I feel like this was just made for him. He is the star of the show :) I am sure there will be negatives and positives but this is such a cool opportunity for him. I wish I could get to see it!

Thanks for the warning. I despise Schwartz as a composer, have never liked any of his shows and his pop tunes are horid. Only thing that could make it worse is if they lip sync in Idina Menzel.

Avoid like the plague.

Tastes in music are of course subjective. I love Stephen Schwartz's music (dating myself here, but I saw the original Godspell -- fantastic show), and it would be a plus for me to have a Stephen Schwartz show on a ship. In fact, I just got an email from Princess about Magic to Do (we haven't sailed the line yet) and came over here to see if it was being talked about.

It wouldn't make me take a specific cruise one way or the other, but it would be a plus.

I'm surprised! We just got back from a 17 day Panama Canal cruise and I saw the ad for Magic to Do! on the Princess site. I figured it would be something they only did on the new ships. I'm pleased to hear it's offered on the "regular" ships. :)

We were quite pleased with the new (to us at least) What A Swell Party! production show. So much energy!

I look forward to seeing the Magic to Do! Hopefully we can see it on Island Princess when we cruise next June. I think it's great that Princess is getting some new shows.

My friend Mike is IN it and I'm so excited to finally see reactions to it! I went to high school with him; he has always done magic and graduated with a musical theater degree so I feel like this was just made for him. He is the star of the show :) I am sure there will be negatives and positives but this is such a cool opportunity for him. I wish I could get to see it!

Off-topic: I couldn't help but notice your board name, umbluemusic. Is this a reference to the UofM Music Department in AA? My son works for the them. Just wondering. Go Blue!! :D

It was shown at 7:00 & 9:30pm on the Crown. They showed it on our San Francisco day stop on Oct 5th and it was a late day in port so we missed it...I would have liked to see this!

Does anyone happen to know if this new show will be offered twice a night, to accommodate early and late dining times?

Thanks,

PCJMOM

Does anyone happen to know if this new show will be offered twice a night, to accommodate early and late dining times?

Thanks,

PCJMOM

Yes. It was offered on the Crown at 6:30 and 8:30. We went to the early show before dinner. I love the musical Pippin, and would have liked a little more from Godspell. Only one number that was depressing,

My mom and I were in our cabin when the power went out. I would have loved to be at the preview with all the celebrities, but we're not Elite.

I was on the Oct 10 sailing of the Crown, and yes, they did have the platinum/elite cocktail party on 6 nights in Skywalkers from 5-7 p.m. The only notice about it was a card in the stateroom listing the drink and snacks that would be served each night.

As for the Magic to Do show, I thought it was nice, but not great. I missed the more elaborate sets, costumes, and dancing that I have seen in other shows. Some of the magic was very good, but as someone else posted, I also thought some of the magic was basic. It's definitely worth seeing, but if you miss it, I would say, don't be too upset about it. Just my opinion.

I am very disappointed to hear that celebrities were on board on October 10. I did not see any of them, or hear anything about their presence. I would have loved to meet them, as I am a huge fan of the old Love Boat TV series.