Considering Oceania for the first time.What are

stipmom

Their policies on bookings.? Is a deposit completely refundable up to a point as in the more mainstream cruise lines? Do they honor price drops? If yes, up to what point? Can I transfer a booking to a TA? When do I have to do it by? This is a May 2017 cruise.Thanks

Their policies on bookings.? Is a deposit completely refundable up to a point as in the more mainstream cruise lines? Do they honor price drops? If yes, up to what point? Can I transfer a booking to a TA? When do I have to do it by? This is a May 2017 cruise.Thanks

I am pretty sure you can transfer a booking to a TA within 30 days. My TA gives significant discounts off of Oceania prices so it is a good idea to consider doing this....transfer to a TA who gives additional perks. We just did our first Oceania cruise this year and really loved it. We have two booked for next year. I do believe the deposit is fully refundable up to a certain time frame.

Have thought about Oceania but never plunged into it. We are Crystal enthusiasts but Oceania is a comparable?

How is the feel on the ship? Is it stuffy and aloof? Is the clientele laid back and fun loving?

I have some off center idea that it is largely British and then possibly being a little conservative.

I kinda like their Itineraries but want to know from others what their impression is. Thankyou!

Have thought about Oceania but never plunged into it. We are Crystal enthusiasts but Oceania is a comparable?

How is the feel on the ship? Is it stuffy and aloof? Is the clientele laid back and fun loving?

I have some off center idea that it is largely British and then possibly being a little conservative.

I kinda like their Itineraries but want to know from others what their impression is. Thankyou!

You're impression is off center. LOL, there are some Brits, but probably very few. Since it is Country Club Casual all the time it really isn't stuffy. While some are reserved and a bit buttoned up, the normal vibe is pretty friendly and down to earth, (with some exceptions)

Don't hold me to this number but I think you'll find about 80% of the cruisers are from the USA & Canada.

There is a good mix from all over the US, I always meet people from FL, California, New York, and a scattering of people from the Midwest, as well as a few from almost anywhere.

Try it, you'll like it.

PS, many of those Brits I've met aren't aloof at all, and actually a hoot to travel with.

Edited by ORV

I think you will find different itineraries draw different crowds, but generally the passengers are well traveled, active seniors. The ship has no formal nites so the dress is casual making the atmosphere relaxed and unassuming (no one flaunting their stuffy jewels and tiaras) Most sailings have large numbers of repeat passengers from US, CDA Australia, GB, etc....I never felt there were more persons from one particular county than another. We find the passengers to be fun loving & rarely see cases of inebriation;)

I am somewhat amused that someone who is a Crystal enthusiast would be concerned that Oceania might be stuffy and aloof! Crystal is far more formal (from what *I* understand, never having sailed on Crystal) than Oceania. I agree also that while there have been more Brits on board in the past few years than there were earlier in Oceania's existence, I would not say that it is "largely" British.

I suppose it is fair to say that there could be snobbish passengers on O, simply because I think that could be said of just about ANY cruiseline. We have always found the vast majority of O's passengers who be friendly and welcoming.

It's an informal atmosphere on smaller ships, because even the two "big" ships only carry 1250 passengers.

As Crystal aficianados you might NOT care for Oceania ... but it wouldn't be because most passengers are aloof.

Mura

Agree with ORV. Oceania is definitely not stuffy and the passengers are mostly from North America. I do want to comment on lahlah57's question regarding Crystal being comparable to Oceania. While we have not sailed Crystal, we have sailed on two luxury cruise lines -- Regent and Silversea (as well as Oceania which is not categorized as "luxury"). The only two Oceania ships we would sail on are the Riviera and Marina because of the size of the suites (not counting staterooms as some are rather small) and the size of the ship.

IMO, the food in the specialty restaurants on Oceania is equivalent to luxury cruise lines - really excellent food. So, to have a great experience on Oceania, suggest you book the largest suite you can afford (the larger the suite the more times you can dine in the specialty restaurants). We have been in a PH and Vista Suite. The Vista Suite was over the top beautiful. We dined in specialty restaurants every night and had a great time. I am one luxury cruiser that definitely recommends Oceania!

Edited by Travelcat2

I have not cruised Crystal but do have one booked for 2017 on Serenity. I try different cruise lines, but seem to go back to O for my comfort level. Riviera is my favorite ship, but have also enjoyed the intimacy of the smaller R ship.

Depending on what cabin size is important to you ( I understand Crystal has small cabins unless you do PH). I am only going to assume that the cabins on the O "R" ships are similar to the standard balcony cabins on Crystal. The O Riviera standard balcony cabin is a bit larger.

I have had the opportunity to stay in the Vista suite on the Regatta and it was fabulous. One comment on that type of suite is the fact it is at the front of the ship and you will feel the motion. I prefer midship, but in this case the motion was worth it for the views in Alaska. On a more port intensive cruise, a midship balcony is just fine with me or the PH which is a bit larger.

I use the gym regularly and it is superb, only take stairs, and find the food wonderful and lots of healthy options to choose from. We don't drink much, enjoy our wine in the evenings, and the relaxing atmosphere on O. Have not met any snobs and although it is not formal, most are very well dressed (country club casual) and well traveled.

If the itinerary is a warm one, my favorite place is dining al fresco at the Terrace Cafe (evenings also). It is especially nice after a long touring day and the grilled lobster, shrimp, filet, lamb chops and veggies keep you trim and are excellent.

The specialty restaurants are free and exceptional, as well. Also, dining is not fixed as it is on Crystal and we prefer this option. Hope you give O a try.

Edited by portofinoitaly

You all gave me the best of impressions!!!! I was way off and I do not even know where I got the idea of stuffiness:confused: I especially like the thought of resort casual and lack of inebriates like the mass market ships that will remain nameless;)

I must admit my favorite cruise passenger population are the Aussies...they are typically the first to include us no matter if on a ship or a pacific resort.....now they are a hoot!

Well....time to research some O cruises for 2016....possibly Africa.:D

You all gave me the best of impressions!!!! I was way off and I do not even know where I got the idea of stuffiness:confused: I especially like the thought of resort casual and lack of inebriates like the mass market ships that will remain nameless;)

I must admit my favorite cruise passenger population are the Aussies...they are typically the first to include us no matter if on a ship or a pacific resort.....now they are a hoot!

Well....time to research some O cruises for 2016....possibly Africa.:D

There are usually plenty of Aussies onboard. I have an Aussie friend I met a few years ago on board Riviera and we still communicate frequently sharing our O trips and updates on our families. She is an O regular every year when it is cold in OZ and heads to the Riviera.

We look forward to it. But we will miss that wrap-around teak deck on 7.

Are you saying you could not get the aft cabin with the wrap around deck

They do book up early but you could try wait listing for one of those suites

No I am referring to the open deck that goes all the way around the ship on the Crystal ships.Wonderful for running or walking or after dinner promenading.

Ok a Promenade deck

we usually walk around the pool deck or the deck above if not too windy but you are right not the same