Buying vanilla?

Bamagirl_gina

• 3 weeks later...
Could you please tell me where these are located (some landmarks would be greatly appreciated)

el Mercado is a couple of blocks to the east (away from the ocean) of the downtown Plaza on Calle Rosado Salas between Avenida 20 and 25.

Mega (Commercial Mexicanna) is along the main road by the ocean just across from Margaritaville and Rock N Java.

Chedurai is between Calle 17 Sur and Avenida Xel-Ha, about 2 blocks in from the ocean. These two Streets are across from the Cozumel Palace resort. Any taxi driver will take you any of these three. If you dock at other than Puerta Maya, they can also take you to Los Cinco Soles downtown. There's and outlet in Puerta Maya shopping complex which is accessible to ships docking at the International pier

As far as coumarin in vanilla goes, yes to read the labels, especially on larger bottles and don't buy imitation vanilla(that's generally the ones that contain coumarin). Look for the real thing. Labels will say so and larger stores, like the supermarkets or Los Coincos Soles and pier gift shops will help you interpret the labels. But you should see Vainilla Pura or vainilla naturale.

We buy ours at the duty free shop.

Safe secure paid a little more but pleased with product, last year gift pack of 3.

We have seen cheaper big bottles in the vendors area around the port area, but these stay out in the hot sun, and really do not know if they are safe.

Coumerin, cumerin, is a ingredient that can in excess cause problems with your blood, and could cause you to bleed.

Later.

I wouldn't buy vanilla there. I make my own. Inexpensive vodka, vanilla beans..3 to 4 weeks and whole 5th of vanilla flavor...I place about 15 beans to a 5th. Ebay is your friend.

GREAT TIP! Thanks!!! :) But just checked and 15 vanilla beans on eBay cost a FORTUNE! What kind of beans did you use????

Edited by lambs2

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean the Dufry Shop at Puerta Maya or the Cinco Soles Outlet there? I don't recall but unless you're planning on stocking your local Harps or Kroger with enough to get all their customers through the holidays, it's not that expensive, you'll probably spend more on a margarita at 3 Amigos or Fat Tuesday's. If docked at the International pier just take a walk to Puerta Maya. If docked downtown, walk to Cinco Soles.

• 1 month later...

I looked at every shop in the port in March 2015, and they only had crap vanilla. Go here: http://www.vanilla.mx/products.html.

I bought it in Cozumel for $6.00 for 16.6 oz about 4 years ago. I'm told the prices went up for it and that it why the shops at port don't carry it no more. They would have to mark it up high to make a profit. Amazon sells it for $17.75... So its a deal to go direct to the mexican home site and buy it there in US dollars for $10.50 for 16.6 oz.

It's really good vanilla.

I looked at every shop in the port in March 2015, and they only had crap vanilla. Go here: http://www.vanilla.mx/products.html./QUOTE]

Not sure what "crap" vanilla is, but I bought the Los Cinco Soles brand in Cozumel in November. I absolutely LOVE it! When I came back home and compared it to my bottle of McCormick, the McCormick went down the drain! There is a website out there that claims ALL Mexican vanilla is absolutely no good because Mexico has no guidelines or restrictions when it comes to labeling such products. Not sure if that is true or not (and don't really care) - I just know that I really love the vanilla I bought. My only mistake was not buying a very small bottle. I bought a large bottle so it will be a long time before I need more. A small bottle would require me to take another cruise to purchase more! :)

• 2 weeks later...