Need help on June 2016 out of Florida

Ray3127

Hello, this is my first post to the CC forum. I've been looking through the website and forum for the last week or so in trying to plan our 5th anniversary trip for next year. My wife and I want to do a 3 or 4 night cruise as part of a larger trip to Florida. This duration gives us a chance to try cruising for the first time and allows us to do a few other things on our list in Florida. I'm looking at the cruises that depart on Sunday, June 5 or Monday, June 6 and hit the Bahamas (the Eastern Caribbean was on our list, too, but those cruises are too long). We can leave out of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, or Port Canaveral. Jacksonville is too far away from the rest of our itinerary.

One cruise in particular has what I think is the best itinerary for us--Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas, which hits Nassau, CocoCay, and Key West. Key West is especially intriguing to us, as we think that would be a great way to see the area without the hassle of the long drive and longer stay. I am concerned, however, about the quality of the ship. It's hard to compare the reviews, because some people love it while others hate it. However, on balance it appears to be lacking compared to others... no?

Further, we are lured by the newest, fanciest looking behemoths out there. It looks like those ships don't really sail the 3-4 day Bahamian excursions, however, so we are probably out of luck if that's our desire?

Key West is not a deal breaker for us, so the other cruise lines are legitimate options. RC has the Majesty of the Seas, while Norwegian has the Norwegian Sky. We'd love to do the Disney Dream, but that's so much more expensive that I don't think I could justify it. Other than those, Carnival has several options, which I'm not sure how to begin to evaluate.

Can you provide any assistance on guiding us to a solid introductory cruise? 4 nights seems to be our preference over 3; 3 just seems awfully short/quick. Our style is laid back, don't care to dress up much. We are late-20's but not partiers. We generally keep to ourselves, and the idea of hopping off the boat for a few hours of seeing a new locale is a big draw of cruising. We don't need a week to explore a new place... just the touristy highlights are good for us. We do care about food quality, and would like to able to lay out at the pool at least one day. Other on-board activities would be nice; not sure specifically what, but we like to have options.

I appreciate your help and look forward to planning our trip with the help of these forums!

We just sailed on the Enchantment and in my opinion it was a great ship for a 4 day cruise. The ship was very clean and was in great condition. The crew was just wonderful.

We usually only do longer cruises but needed a 4 day to reach Diamond level, so that is why we chose the Enchantment. I made the comment to my husband that this was a great ship for anyone who wanted to do 3/4 day cruises!

I would not hesitate to sail it again!! Have fun on your cruise!!

It won't have all the bells and whistle that the larger ships have, but it's a great way to start! Bear in mind that the cabins are smaller than normal....and cabins are tight to begin with! Not like hotel rooms, unless you book a JS or higher. A smaller ship on a shorter trip is perfect..gives you time to actually SEE the ship!!!!

Edited by cb at sea

I think if you find something that appeals and the price fits, just book it. :) You can drive yourself crazy reading these boards - people can love and hate the same ship/excursion/food, etc. etc. lol

People might also tell you that the 3-4 day cruises attract the drunk party people. That may be true, but I've sailed a few of them and have never seen anything that bothered me.

I definitely put in a vote to visit Key West; very walkable if you didn't want to pay for an excursion. CocoCay is nice too.

You mention Miami and FLL. Are you flying down? If so, check air into both airports even if you sail out of Miami. Its only about a 40 min drive, and you can grab a shared shuttle for about $18pp.

Whatever you decide, enjoy! :)

Hello, this is my first post to the CC forum. I've been looking through the website and forum for the last week or so in trying to plan our 5th anniversary trip for next year. My wife and I want to do a 3 or 4 night cruise as part of a larger trip to Florida. This duration gives us a chance to try cruising for the first time and allows us to do a few other things on our list in Florida. I'm looking at the cruises that depart on Sunday, June 5 or Monday, June 6 and hit the Bahamas (the Eastern Caribbean was on our list, too, but those cruises are too long). We can leave out of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, or Port Canaveral. Jacksonville is too far away from the rest of our itinerary.

One cruise in particular has what I think is the best itinerary for us--Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas, which hits Nassau, CocoCay, and Key West. Key West is especially intriguing to us, as we think that would be a great way to see the area without the hassle of the long drive and longer stay. I am concerned, however, about the quality of the ship. It's hard to compare the reviews, because some people love it while others hate it. However, on balance it appears to be lacking compared to others... no?

Further, we are lured by the newest, fanciest looking behemoths out there. It looks like those ships don't really sail the 3-4 day Bahamian excursions, however, so we are probably out of luck if that's our desire?

Key West is not a deal breaker for us, so the other cruise lines are legitimate options. RC has the Majesty of the Seas, while Norwegian has the Norwegian Sky. We'd love to do the Disney Dream, but that's so much more expensive that I don't think I could justify it. Other than those, Carnival has several options, which I'm not sure how to begin to evaluate.

Can you provide any assistance on guiding us to a solid introductory cruise? 4 nights seems to be our preference over 3; 3 just seems awfully short/quick. Our style is laid back, don't care to dress up much. We are late-20's but not partiers. We generally keep to ourselves, and the idea of hopping off the boat for a few hours of seeing a new locale is a big draw of cruising. We don't need a week to explore a new place... just the touristy highlights are good for us. We do care about food quality, and would like to able to lay out at the pool at least one day. Other on-board activities would be nice; not sure specifically what, but we like to have options.

I appreciate your help and look forward to planning our trip with the help of these forums!

The cruise lines tend to put their older ships on the 3 - 4 night cruises. If you want to see the latest and greatest, you will have to do a one week cruise.

The Enchantment may not have the latest bells and whistles, but there is nothing wrong with the ship (BTW, the Majesty is even older). People who want to complain are more likely to write a review then those who were happy. What were the problems? Did someone find dust on the top of the door? Was there a dead body under the bed. Did someone have their travel iron confiscated and did that ruin the trip for them? Those are not things I would worry about. On the other hand if the person could not finish the review because the food killed them, or if they could not go swimming in the swimming pools because of the sharks in the pools, those are things to worry about.

If you are trying to get an introduction to cruising, then the Enchantment on a three or four night cruise is a good choice. But just so you know, I've been on several three night cruises and seven night cruises and there two are very different in many ways.

Thanks to all for the quick help. It sounds like Enchantment would be a fine option, and since it fits in our timeframe, ports of call, and budget that may be the right choice.

Any feedback on the Norwegian Sky from anybody? This was another ship that scared me by its reviews a bit. However, I understand the psychology of people writing negative reviews more often than positive ones.

Thank you for the tip on the flight. We will look at all nearby airports.

Question for the poster who alluded to the differences between 4 and 7 night cruises. Can you elaborate more?

The other posters are giving you great info. I just want to add that I agree with Tigger about Key West. There are very few cruises to Key West. Being that this is your first cruise and have nothing to compare cruises, I would choose an itinerary rather than the ship.

Bon Voyage!

We've been on Enchantment twice and love it. At one time, there were many more cruises with stops in Key West. They decided to limit the number of ships. We love Key West so much that we have booked a cruise for next Christmas because it's short and one of the stops is Key West. It's one of our favorite ports, and is where my Grandson was born 21 years ago. You'll love it and the Enchantment is a great introduction to cruising.

Any feedback on the Norwegian Sky from anybody? This was another ship that scared me by its reviews a bit. However, I understand the psychology of people writing negative reviews more often than positive ones.

?

In 2016 the Norwegian SKY will be offering the Ultimate Beverage Package as an included perk for all its sailings. Depending on the cabin category booked you can then choose another perk as well. (Dining package, On Board Credit) so you might have to factor the cost of those to find out if you are getting a deal on another line or not. Also, if you book a suite on Norwegian you will be treated grandly, with designated dining in an exclusive dining room for breakfast and lunch as well as priority boarding, disembarkation and if needed priority tendering.

Be prepared to get HOOKED on cruising!! I understand your hesitancy about the ship. A few years ago, I was planning OUR first cruise...and the itinerary we picked was on the Norwegian Jade. The itinerary was the draw for us, and only later did I see that not all the reviews for the Jade were glowing (this was before her refurbishment, which happened immediately after our cruise). So I had some trepidation, particularly as I had no first hand knowledge of cruising.

I needn't have feared. We LOVE the ship and loved the experience. Was everything 100% perfect? No. Some of the decor was over-the-top. A few worn spots here and there. But really, never once a detraction.

Then in August, we sailed on the Navigator of the Seas. Our first Caribbean cruise. We picked this one because we could afford it and the time was perfect. Seems like sailing from Galveston is a bit cheaper. The reviews for the ship were less than 5-star. It was a gorgeous, lovely ship.

I just have to scratch my head over many of the negative reviews I read. Often, they feel to me like the person was just determined to have a bad time. Yes, some of the experiences they share are not great...but when you essentially turn over your life to another entity for a week, they will not do everything perfect for you. We had some early issues with dining that were SPEEDILY resolved. I was charged for one bottle of water in our mini-bar that I never used. REALLY small stuff, but I've seen people go nuts and give one star reviews over less. I consider myself a bit hard to please and sometimes a bit of a grouch...but cruising makes my grouch go into hiding. It does for most people, I think.

Whatever ship you decide on, just be prepared to feel slightly overwhelmed (but in a good way) and frankly amazed. I also think for a 4 day cruise, there is no need to wish you could be on something like the Oasis. You'd never get to everything anyway, because you'll be enjoying time on shore much of your cruise. Assuming you get hooked, believe me, you'll find time to try many more adventures at sea.

Thanks to all for the quick help. It sounds like Enchantment would be a fine option, and since it fits in our timeframe, ports of call, and budget that may be the right choice.

Thank you for the tip on the flight. We will look at all nearby airports.

Question for the poster who alluded to the differences between 4 and 7 night cruises. Can you elaborate more?

I have not been on the Sky (well, at least not since my last airplane flight). The Sky is one of NCL's older ships. NCL has Freestyle dining which means no set dinner time or place. Some people like this, some don't (I don't, but I am booked on my third NCL cruise because I understand how Freestyle works, and I can make it work for me). So you are likely to see a love or hate review based solely on whether or not someone likes Freestyle.

From my own personal opinion, it isn't until you get to the NCL Star (entered service in 2001) that the Freestyle dining begins to work well. The Sky is older than the Star. Many people believe the food and service in the free restaurants is not as good as the food in the extra cost restaurants. Well no kidding, who is going to pay extra for the same quality food and service? The question is, is the food in the free restaurant up to the same level of service as the food in Royal Caribbean or Carnival's free restaurants? I admit, I ate most of my meals in the extra cost restaurants by choice, not because I didn't like the food in the free restaurants. So I really cannot compare (since my last NCL cruise was in February 2008 - which was a full transit of the Panama Canal and one of my two favorite cruises).

Nonetheless, I read the negative reviews before I tried NCL. I gave it a try because my boss liked it. It is not my favorite cruise line (again, I don't like Freestyle dining) but NCL offers some things that I like, so I take advantage when I can and I don't let Freestyle dining ruin my cruise (I do like that there are no formal nights). In fact, as I said, I can make Freestyle work to my benefit (but I still prefer having a set dining time and place).

Ray, One ladies opinion here. Used to live on Biscayne Bay across from Miami port. The old ships you mention are mainly used for locals booze cruises.I could hear them screaming a few blocks away. A world of difference from the new ones that do 7 day cruises from both Miami and Ft L.These short cruises also spend half the cruise going back and forth to/from port They only do Bahamas due to time constraints. No ammenities either..Save a few hundreds more and do a real cruise. Prices now are super high. They will come down next year.

We cannot even imagine putting the words "Key West" and "hassle" in the same sentence. Driving down the Ocean Highway to Key West is one of the great drives in the world! In fact, after our next cruise (in November) we are spending an extra 4 days in FL just for this purpose. While visiting on a cruise is a good way to enjoy Key West, spending a few nights (and doing the fabulous drive from Miami) will certainly be one of the highlights of our trip (and this is after 14 days on a Celebrity cruise).

Hank

We cannot even imagine putting the words "Key West" and "hassle" in the same sentence. Driving down the Ocean Highway to Key West is one of the great drives in the world! In fact, after our next cruise (in November) we are spending an extra 4 days in FL just for this purpose. While visiting on a cruise is a good way to enjoy Key West, spending a few nights (and doing the fabulous drive from Miami) will certainly be one of the highlights of our trip (and this is after 14 days on a Celebrity cruise).

Hank

We second that emotion. We drove down to the Conch Republic with another couple using a weekly Hertz rental from FLL before a HAL cruise. We drove only to Key Largo on night 1 then finished the drive to Key West the next day. We stayed in a very nice non chain hotel in Key West for 4 days then drove back to Key Largo for a night and finished up in Fort Lauderdale.

Then we boarded the ship. Our first port of call, guess what?, was Key West.

When we were researching the trip I found a very unusual place, Little Palm Island, which was about 30 miles north of Key West. It's a restaurant/resort accessible only by a half hourly ferry and was a total kick. A superb white table cloth restaurant situated on a little "desert island." Wasn't a cheap lunch but a great way to start our vacation.dining-area-from-water.jpg

Our port stop was uneventful having seen everything already so we did what we like to do; people watch in a coffee shop near the pier.

Thanks again for the feedback. A couple things:

- Our choice to do 4 nights is part financial, part practical. 7 nights just isn't an option. We have a 1-year old at home that will be with grandparents, and we can only get away for about a week total. There is more we'd like to do than cruise, but think a 4-night cruise is a great way to try cruising on this trip. Then we could look at a longer one later down the road if we really like it. So if your solution is to have us do a longer cruise, that's not going to work.

- Similar to the first issue, we just don't have time for several days to Key West. Maybe we will be inspired to go back for more time after our quick visit, but as I initially mentioned we generally enjoy the touristy highlights and are good with a quick visit.

I'm still unclear on the differences between 4 and 7 night cruises that some have mentioned. Some have said the 4-night plan is fine/great for a first cruise, and I know it's a matter of opinion but I appreciate the input. We don't care for a "booze cruise".

The other issue is NCL vs RC. That NCL review helped a lot, though I'm still unclear on the Freestyle thing. Maybe I need to research this separately. I gather the Carnival cruises aren't worth looking at since nobody has mentioned these? Or should I check them out too?

Thanks especially to those who tailor their responses to our needs and interests. I appreciate it a lot... Keep them coming :)

Thanks again for the feedback. A couple things:

- Our choice to do 4 nights is part financial, part practical. 7 nights just isn't an option. We have a 1-year old at home that will be with grandparents, and we can only get away for about a week total. There is more we'd like to do than cruise, but think a 4-night cruise is a great way to try cruising on this trip. Then we could look at a longer one later down the road if we really like it. So if your solution is to have us do a longer cruise, that's not going to work.

- Similar to the first issue, we just don't have time for several days to Key West. Maybe we will be inspired to go back for more time after our quick visit, but as I initially mentioned we generally enjoy the touristy highlights and are good with a quick visit.

I'm still unclear on the differences between 4 and 7 night cruises that some have mentioned. Some have said the 4-night plan is fine/great for a first cruise, and I know it's a matter of opinion but I appreciate the input. We don't care for a "booze cruise".

The other issue is NCL vs RC. That NCL review helped a lot, though I'm still unclear on the Freestyle thing. Maybe I need to research this separately. I gather the Carnival cruises aren't worth looking at since nobody has mentioned these? Or should I check them out too?

Thanks especially to those who tailor their responses to our needs and interests. I appreciate it a lot... Keep them coming :)

I don't know why no one mentioned Carnival. Some people feel it has a reputation as a party boat. Really, it's what you make it. There probably will be lots of kids and families at that time of year. People with kids can only go when schools out or on holiday breaks.

That said, we were on the Carnival Magic for a 6-day at spring break. The family areas were swarming with kids, but the Serenity adult area was very quiet and....well, serene. I doubt if you'll get a lower price than Carnival. I just checked a 4 day to Key West and Cozumel on June 13th 2016 (I think) and it was $400 pp. Not bad.

I usually sail Carnival or Royal Caribbean. I've been on 2 NCL ships and did not care for free-style dining. The free main dinning room is small and we had to wait 20 to 30 minutes to eat around 6 pm. That is, admittedly, a peak time. Not without reason since any later and you miss the evening's entertainment--unless you wait till half-past 8 and see the show first. That's too late for us, and even then you'll have to wait sometimes because that's another peak time.

So, the alternative is to eat at the optional pay an extra $20 to $30 pp. venues. There's no denying that the food and service is superior. If you get the optional Ultimate Dining package, UDP, for free then you can eat anywhere, I guess, but "free" is relative if the cruise costs several hundred dollars more.

Edited by Hawaiifrank

We have only cruised Princess, but I can still give you the main differences between 4 & 7 night cruises.

Your steward has less time to get to know your preferences (not a huge issue)

The entertainment on a 4 day feels "truncated". You won't notice, since it will be your first cruise, but when you do a 7 day it will be obvious.

Less time on a 4 day to get to know the folks on your roll call (assuming you join in). Most roll calls plan a Sail Away, a Meet & Greet, and there is often a dinner or tea time gathering, as well as private excursions with some of the people on your roll call. Not enough time to do all of that on a 4 day.

And check out Princess - we have never had a bad cruise with them.

Here is a link to my review of the maiden voyage of the NCL Jade (which is my last NCL cruise). You'll see how I made the Freestyle dining work for me. That was 13 nights.

NCL Jade - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=728733

Here is a link to my review of my Enchantment cruise which was 12 nights ...

Enchantment OTS - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1591335

Sorry the pictures are missing, but the website I stored the picture on went out of business.

I've been on several three night cruises and I have not had a problem with drunks, mainly because I don't hang out in the same places the drunks do.

So then, what is the difference between the three night cruise and the one week cruise? As already noted, newer ships. And what is obvious - the cruise is twice as long. For one week there is no laundry, no cooking, no vacuuming and no work. You actually get to relax.

A three night cruise is one day in the home port, and two days away from home. A one week cruise is six days away from home, traveling to places that are a lot more interesting that the tourist traps that are 200 miles away. On and three night cruise you unpack and day one and 48 hours later you are packing to go home. On a one week cruise you might actually forget where you put your suitcases (under the bed). A three night cruise is an inexpensive cruise that people treat as a party cruise. A one week cruise is not treated as a party cruise by the passengers.

We were just on Enchantment on the August 28th sailing. I think Enchantment is an ideal ship for a first cruise. I enjoyed the food in the MDR and the buffet was just fine for a buffet. The publc areas of the ship were in good condition also. I also think it's a very good itinerary....although I wouldn't get off the ship in Coca Cay and instead enjoy the reduced traffic on the ship, especially the pool.

Just wanted to let those that helped me out know that we changed course a little... After the feedback we received and some soul-searching on what we wanted out of a cruise, we are going with a 7-night Norwegian cruise (Escape) out of Miami from June 4-11. We are cutting out some other items in Florida we wanted to do but think that we will enjoy the cruise that much more. It sounds like it will be easier to settle in and relax for the full week, and we really like the sound of the Freestyle philosophy. We also wanted to go on one of the newer boats, and since Escape hasn't even sailed yet it qualifies as such ;)

Thanks again to those who contributed!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Ray! I was researching cruises out of Florida and I came across your post. Me and my husband will be moving to the new Sabbia Beach Condos

building when it is finished in 2017 when we will (by coincidence) have our 20th anniversary. I have never before set out on a cruise but I know my husband has always dreamed of going on one. In all honesty, we both have very little experience with such things and we'd love it if you could keep us posted about how your cruise went! Thanks, love, J.

Edited by JaneHedricks

• 2 weeks later...

Cruise agent here who has cruised all those smaller ships & short cruises..First, reviews are mostly subjective..what I like you might hate, & visa versa..these ships you are looking at are both smaller & older, so many are disappointed that there's no "WOW" factor ( EXCEPT the Dream)...second, you are right- the Disney Dream is by FAR the best & nicest of the lot..best cabins, best food, best shows, best service, best private island ( Castaway Cay is amazing!) IMO, but more $$..we have done the Norwegian Sky twice and she has 3 advantages over the Enchantment: 1) FREE alcohol starting in January..2) Good entertainment...3) VERY good specialty dining restaurants like Cagney's Steakhouse & Le Bistro ( my fav- a French steak & seafood place both venues over look the sea!!)..the Enchantment is slightly bigger and I like Boleros , a latin dance club in there, and she's a very pretty ship..also like Chops steakhouse, and I like the Schooner Bar as a piano place ( Sky has Capt. Cook's a nice, cozy bar)..BTW, the Majesty, although nice, is small & doesn't have a lot of options and cabins are tiny..FYI the Carnival ships are older & smaller UNLESS it's the Sunshine or the Triumph..look at gross tonnage..if they around 70,000 tons, don't bother, but if they are around 100,000 tons, those are better choices ( for Carnival)...facts are 3-4 nights like you said, don't get you the big ships with all the goodies( except the Dream)...any questions , give a shout!

Big Al

Just wanted to let those that helped me out know that we changed course a little... After the feedback we received and some soul-searching on what we wanted out of a cruise, we are going with a 7-night Norwegian cruise (Escape) out of Miami from June 4-11. We are cutting out some other items in Florida we wanted to do but think that we will enjoy the cruise that much more. It sounds like it will be easier to settle in and relax for the full week, and we really like the sound of the Freestyle philosophy. We also wanted to go on one of the newer boats, and since Escape hasn't even sailed yet it qualifies as such ;)

Thanks again to those who contributed!

Update..you guys will LOVE the Escape!! NCL is more laid back than most & the specialty dining is KILLER- make sure you get the UDP ( Ultimate dining package) or the SDP ( specialty dining package for a little more $$ pp)..usually NCL offers this perk..shows are terrific & the Waterfront area on deck 8 is soooo cool- you can dine or drink OUTSIDE over looking the sea ( a bit too warm maybe in June in FLA..)..I have toured both the Getaway & Breakaway, slightly smaller ships & loved them...get a good balcony & let me know if you need help choosing one...she actually is coming into Miami THIS Sunday and you can watch the Escape come in on Port Fever, where you can see ships come & go from Miami, Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, etc..GREAT choice!!

Big Al

P.S.- They are not boats, boats are what you fish in- they are called "ships", or "vessels"..just so you know the cruise terminology..there are no "rooms" , they are "cabins" or "staterooms"..no "floors", they are "decks"..if you meet the Captain ( which you may on the Capt. dinner's night), make sure you say something like "nice ship" or "vessel"..they get VERY insulted when people call these huge behemoths "boats"...