Pickle-Ball on Celebrity Eclipse

Alanontheseas

Does anyone out there know if there is a Pickle-Ball court on the Eclipse. When I sailed her (3 years ago) there was not, but there is enough room in the basketball area to tape a court I think. I'm sure that it would be a popular game on those long sea days!

You will often hear people say that Pickleball is the fastest growing sport in N. America, and indeed it could be. It's played on a badmington-sized court with a low net, whiffle ball and paddles rather like table-tennis paddles only larger. It's popular in retirement communities as it is easier on the body than tennis but probably more strategic and easier to get to a reasonable level. Google it for more information.

If it's not available, I think the cruise lines are missing a very low-cost opportunity to provide this sport on board ships. Cost of taping a court, paddles, net and balls I would estimate less than $300.

You will often hear people say that Pickleball is the fastest growing sport in N. America, and indeed it could be. It's played on a badmington-sized court with a low net, whiffle ball and paddles rather like table-tennis paddles only larger. It's popular in retirement communities as it is easier on the body than tennis but probably more strategic and easier to get to a reasonable level. Google it for more information.

If it's not available, I think the cruise lines are missing a very low-cost opportunity to provide this sport on board ships. Cost of taping a court, paddles, net and balls I would estimate less than $300.

Very popular in Florida especially in the senior areas. We visited a development near Orlando and they had 8 pickle ball courts and several people were playing Have never seen it on a ship.

Looked it up, as you suggested. Looks like court and allowances for people running outside the confines would require around a 65 by 35 foot space give or take a little. I doubt it's the cost of tape and equipment that would prevent it but the large cost in space. I wouldn't think it's the next best thing they might wish to do with over 2,000 square feet of valuable deck area. Maybe, if it has enough interest, they could tape off an area one day for a tournament or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by SetU2

I manage a sporting goods store that's part of a chain of stores in the northeast and I have not received one request for it. My brother who is 53 plays pickle ball with his girlfriend. It must be popular with an older generation because if it was popular at the high school or college level we would have it in the store. Kan Jam and Spike ball really took off with the younger generation. Last week we were in Florida and during our visit we stopped by some new 55 and over communities Pickel-Ball was one of the activities listed in the brochure.

I manage a sporting goods store that's part of a chain of stores in the northeast and I have not received one request for it. My brother who is 53 plays pickle ball with his girlfriend. It must be popular with an older generation because if it was popular at the high school or college level we would have it in the store. Kan Jam and Spike ball really took off with the younger generation. Last week we were in Florida and during our visit we stopped by some new 55 and over communities Pickel-Ball was one of the activities listed in the brochure.

Needless to say... If I had a girlfriend I would play pickleball also. But it would soon be pickleless ball as my wife would surely find out.

OK, I'll bite....why is it called pickle ball?

I googled "why is it called pickle ball." Apparently it was named after one of the inventors dogs, Pickles.

Next thing you know we'll have Quidditch from the Harry Potter movies. Very popular on campuses.

My husband and I eagerly play pickle ball at least 3 times a week. It is a very addicting game and yes, we live in a newer, 55+ community.

It is incredibly popular here, and our town has now striped some of the town tennis courts since it is a fast growing sport!

I would imagine that on a ship - unless the court is totally fenced in, then the loss of balls due to the wind/breeze would be quite significant.....

Most of us with college aged kids and other kids, all have got the kids playing when visiting, so you can expect that this sport will grow rapidly. Last year we participated in the Senior Olympics Tournament for Pickle ball........

Go google it, and go out and play, its fun, fun, fun!!!

• 1 year later...
I googled "why is it called pickle ball." Apparently it was named after one of the inventors dogs, Pickles.

Sorry, but this is a myth; it's actually the reverse - the dog was named after the game! The game was apparently named by the founder's wife and came from a nautical racing term. Here's a link to an article that contains this information:

http://pugetsoundblogs.com/bainbridge-conversation/2009/01/16/the-doggone-lies-about-pickleball/

Hi there

The issue for the cruise line is clearly the space. The space on most ships is less than a full basketball court. So they would be able, if they chose, to set up one pickle ball court. Now you would have people wanting to play a game...2 or 4 people would be monopolizing the area for how long...half an hour or more. How would that be fair?

I would agree that most of the time there is nobody utilizing the space, but when it is nice out and people want to be on deck doing something, you might have a dozen people fooling around at the same time. I would suggest that people who would want to hit a ball around could just go up there with their ball and paddle and fool around for as long as nobody else wanted to use the space for it's intended purpose.

We had pickle ball on a Brilliance of the Seas Transatlantic, a couple of years back. It was POPULAR both as play and lessons. Everyone even the crew wanted to try it. Biggest problem is/was the wind, on some days it played havoc with the ball. Basically the same as at home when windy, but more problems due to the speed and direction of the ship.

Just chatted with a friend who sailed on Princess last week and played pickle ball on the basketball court area. Princess have invested in nets, balls and pickle ball paddles for a number of their ships. Its the fastest growing sport in North America especially for those 50+ so would probably be something that Celebrity should look into.

Just chatted with a friend who sailed on Princess last week and played pickle ball on the basketball court area. Princess have invested in nets, balls and pickle ball paddles for a number of their ships. Its the fastest growing sport in North America especially for those 50+ so would probably be something that Celebrity should look into.

I was on the Crown Princess last September on their Hawaiian cruise and we played Pickle ball several days on the basketball court, but it was a challenge with the wind.

Doug