What hotel in FLL?

doone

Where we stay depends on how far in advance we go in. If we're arriving only the night before, I'm much less picky. In those cases, we like the Renaissance and some of the other hotels listed here. I make my decisions then really based on distance and price, whatever seems like the best deal within a short cab ride works for me. We are Marriott point people for business travel, so tend to gravitate towards those properties.

If we're going in for a few days, we can expand a bit. The Ritz Carlton in Fort Lauderdae is beautiful (but pricey - that's where those points for Marriott loyalty come in handy). If we have a full day or more to enjoy, I'm more apt to choose a hotel on the beach, or at least with a great pool area, even if it's further out.

We're sailing on the Oosterdam in December and staying at the Renaissance others have mentioned. It's a great hotel, very comfortable, a good value, and close to the airport / pier area.

Also to echo what someone else said about certain pre/post days filling up faster - that is our experience as well. I usually check the cruise calendar sites and see how many ships are turning around in FLL that day. I let that guide how far in advance I book our hotel, and also how much time I allow at the airport. If I know it will be a busy day I don't pick the earlier flight.

I've booked the Hampton Inn Plantation for Dec 26th - mainly because of the price, but we also like Hampton's. Free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, though we'll have to find our way to Miami port the next day.

Anyone stayed here or have any input on this property or location?

Thanks

May be difficult getting a room near the port when there is a boat show, I think one is coming soon, not sure of date but I think it is in early November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

November 5-9 this year. They were erecting a huge pole building between the Princess pier and the bridge on 17th Street this morning. (Wanna bet someone flags this post for "huge" "pole" and "erecting?")

If you are here during the boat show, make all your dinner reservations asap. Reserve taxis in advance, and so on and so on.

I've booked the Hampton Inn Plantation for Dec 26th - mainly because of the price, but we also like Hampton's. Free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, though we'll have to find our way to Miami port the next day.

Anyone stayed here or have any input on this property or location?

Thanks

It's very much a business hotel. American Express, Lutron, Motorola, and Bell South (AT&T) are nearby. It's certainly not a beach hotel, but it's nice enough. I think you'll be fine. :)

Some advice - If you are staying at a hotel with a free (or even a paid) shuttle, make your reservation as early as possible the night before departure and make it for an earlier hotel departure than you normally might think about making. The shuttles get booked (and sometimes overbooked) and the wait to get on and to the port can be frustratingly long and frequently end up leaving much later than your reserved or preferred departure time.

For those who want to drive and leave the car parked at the hotel during the cruise..I can recommend Hilton Garden Inn.

Stayed there last December. The benefits are an included shuttle service round trip, which worked well. Parking was convenient and in a gated area behind the hotel, not an open lot. The hotel's restaurant off the lobby was quite good and welcome after a day of driving, with a good breakfast included in the rate.

Finally the room was very nice, clean, quiet - and the staff was friendly and efficient.

The Embassy Suites is our "go to" hotel in Fort Lauderdale. Friendly staff, clean rooms, lovely area for the complimentary breakfast, manager's reception nightly with free drinks, close to shops and restaurants, lovely secluded pool area, minutes from the port etc..

The rooms are a tad dated but not an issue for us with all the pluses taken into consideration.

Before we discovered the Embassy Suites we had stayed at a few of the others in that general area but now we don't bother looking around for a place to stay. I figure "if it ain't broke why fix it".

I don't think you'd be disappointed by the Embassy Suites. It's convenient to grocery stores, shopping, and most services. If you want to be on the beach with some privacy, look at Lago Mar. If you want a boutique hotel, look at The Pillars. If you want to be in the heart of where locals go to dine, The Riverside Hotel on Las Olas is nice. If you want a big hotel feel, the Hilton (Beach, not Marina) or the Ritz-Carlton are very nice. The Hyatt Pier 66 is a great hotel, especially if you book a tower room. If you want

something trendy, the W or the B Ocean are good options.

The Pillars and Lago Mar!!!! I took your advice over a year ago when someone asked where to stay! You are so knowledgeable and since you live there I would take any advice you give! Also your wine choices are right on!!!!!!

Happy Sailings POA1😄

Denise:)

but they are almost full and won't take our gold points for the night. They are asking over$300. We can leave our car and take the paid shuttle to the pier but have booked the one in Dania which is closer to the HAL pier.

Hyatt Place can be booked through Value Trips for a nominal price, l got it once for $99 CDN.

Hyatt Place can be booked through Value Trips for a nominal price, l got it once for $99 CDN.

For just a night, we also like Hyatt Place at 17th Street. It is convenient to all the same things as the Embassy Suites (it's just behind ES, and across from the shopping mall).

If you want an experience near the water, or a more full service hotel, Hyatt Place is not for you. However, again, for one night, it is clean, comfortable, and the free breakfast is decent. They will also pick you up from the airport for free (at least it was that way last year).

We invariably do Priceline bidding for FLL and MIA or once in a while Hotwire.

Always had great success but we only bid 4 stars and up. Our last Hotwire was in fact the Embassy Suites. If we have a car, which is often the case, we have had good success with Renaissance Plantation as well. Nice hotel. We have stayed in numerous properties in the core area-beach and 17th when dropping a car and staying on for a day or two.

I prefer to start off my vacation right on the water in nice, upscale surroundings. FOr the last few years have been staying at the W on the beach and occasionally stay at the marriott harbor beach, Lago Mar, and the Hyatt Pier 66 (for years this was our go-to pre-post hotel). For our upcoming Odam cruise we are staying at the Ritz (booked there a few time before but never ended up staying). I use points for all these properties except Lago Mar and plan long in advance. Hotels in FLL are pricey and points defray the pain.

For our upcoming Odam cruise we are staying at the Ritz (booked there a few time before but never ended up staying).

Their new restaurant, Burlock Coast, has gotten pretty good buzz from people who have been to the soft opening. It's got a great location and replaces Via Luna.

Would stay there in a heartbeat. Be prepared to spend $$$$.

It depends on the time of year. The Pillars is often quite reasonable. We had some friends in last spring and the Pillars was less than the Embassy Suites, the Renaissance, or the Hilton Marina. It really pays to know the lay of the land and to shop around.

It depends on the time of year. The Pillars is often quite reasonable. We had some friends in last spring and the Pillars was less than the Embassy Suites, the Renaissance, or the Hilton Marina. It really pays to know the lay of the land and to shop around.

Before joining the cruise masses, all it takes is a call to ask the question on a price.

Before joining the cruise masses, all it takes is a call to ask the question on a price.

Pretend for a moment that I'm just trying to help and have a modicum of local knowledge.

36be1072475f817bc9d9f278397593fb.jpg

I would never dissuade someone from making a phone call to learn more, but sometimes a person on the ground knows a thing or two.

e5d1ea486d395b83f5bf941eaa246e81.jpg

In the words of these young whipper snappers today, "We drop da mike."

9d2566d41b07fc03ae3ef4a9add8e88b.jpg

I trust you'll take this in the good humor in which it was intended. (If not, I'm totally going to question if the "m" in "cruise masses" wasn't a typo. :D

thanks POA1 - whenever we have checked out Pillars it was very $$$$$ so I crossed it off my list. I will add to this to my list to check. appreciate it :) It is certainly highly rated.

I thought it was a bit out of the way though and if you didn't have a car, there would be a problem getting around? If you don't mind me asking. thanks :)

Edited by kazu

Thanks for pointing this out. I checked dates for our pre-cruise, and while it's a little more than the Renaissuance, it's not all that much more, and seems worthy of the difference. We fly in on my husband's birthday, so I'm thinking he needs a little birthday upgrade :)