Extended Stay America in Fort Lauderdale

LuCruise

Anyone stayed at Extended Stay America-Fort Lauderdale-Conv Center-CruisePort and have any feedback?

We're currently booked at La Quinta in Hollywood Florida. The pool looks nice and the area seems pretty with the lake behind. There is shopping at Oakwood Plaza and restaurants nearby and the hotel includes airport transportation and free breakfast.

Extended Stay is about $60 more. It also includes airport transportation, free breakfast and also cruise transportation (but if it's later than we'd like to head over, we would just cab). This is close to the cruise terminal on 17th street. I know many recommend this area at either Hyatt or Embassy Suites (both are too much for what we want to pay).

Any thoughts? Our La Quinta booking is refundable so we are able to switch.

Anyone stayed at Extended Stay America-Fort Lauderdale-Conv Center-CruisePort and have any feedback?

We're currently booked at La Quinta in Hollywood Florida. The pool looks nice and the area seems pretty with the lake behind. There is shopping at Oakwood Plaza and restaurants nearby and the hotel includes airport transportation and free breakfast.

Extended Stay is about $60 more. It also includes airport transportation, free breakfast and also cruise transportation (but if it's later than we'd like to head over, we would just cab). This is close to the cruise terminal on 17th street. I know many recommend this area at either Hyatt or Embassy Suites (both are too much for what we want to pay).

Any thoughts? Our La Quinta booking is refundable so we are able to switch.

I've found that for all the money you try to save, you don't. The farther away from the terminal, the more it costs to get there. free transportation is rarely convenient transportation.

What are you hoping to spend not including meals for the day before? What date?

We.ve stayed there twice. Basic clean room with small kitchenette. We walk over to Publix to buy our cruise wine, get food from the excellent deli and take it back to the room for dinner. Very convenient and close to the port.

Oh sorry. I meant to post under Florida Departures. Not sure how to move this post

Yeah...since Extended Stay is close to the port, it's probably a wash as taxi is might be $50 or so from La Quinta?

Good to hear it's clean. I will say that Extended Stay gets a lower rating on Expedia.

Edited by LuCruise

We have stayed at LaQuinta and there is a shuttle to he pier, it as $10.00 pp, I believe. They also had a shuttle to the shopping center which had a number of places to eat, including a neat diner, think it is called the "moonlight"

Diner, but I'm not sure.

LaQuinta was fine, from was clean and breakfast was fine.

Breakfast at Extended Stay isn't much. Packaged granola bar, oatmeal pack and coffee. It's set out on a small sofatype table in the lobby for Grab and Go. We stayed there when the shuttle to the port was complimentary.....now it isn't. Have you looked at the Holiday Inn Express that is next door? They have a great breakfast and rooms are much nicer.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

I am in the hotel consulting business and though I have not stayed at either of these properties, I can speak to the brands in general. Extended Stay America are typically lower priced extended stay properties that operate like studio apartments. Might be suitable and clean, but its not the Ritz. La Quinta is a mid market brand, and unless it is an older property, usually charges a higher rate then Ext Stay and has better services/amenities. You mentioned Hyatt and Embassy as well. and they are in yet a higher tier of product and would definitely come at a premium.

I would focus on the convenient location and online and CC input/reviews. Just understand that even though the Ext Stay is a suite product, it is not going to be in the same hotel universe as an Embassy. You usually get what you pay for in hotels, but this sounds like it could be a good option unless you are a 'hotel snob' like my DW who loves her Embassy/Homewood type stays...

I am in the hotel consulting business and though I have not stayed at either of these properties, I can speak to the brands in general. Extended Stay America are typically lower priced extended stay properties that operate like studio apartments. Might be suitable and clean, but its not the Ritz. La Quinta is a mid market brand, and unless it is an older property, usually charges a higher rate then Ext Stay and has better services/amenities. You mentioned Hyatt and Embassy as well. and they are in yet a higher tier of product and would definitely come at a premium.

I would focus on the convenient location and online and CC input/reviews. Just understand that even though the Ext Stay is a suite product, it is not going to be in the same hotel universe as an Embassy. You usually get what you pay for in hotels, but this sounds like it could be a good option unless you are a 'hotel snob' like my DW who loves her Embassy/Homewood type stays...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Breakfast sounds bare minimum, but I suppose since we'll be on our way to our cruise, it isn't a huge deal. Just want something in the morning.

As for the comment above, La Quinta is cheaper than Extended Stay, except that it's further from the port and does not include transportation to the cruise terminal whereas Extended Stay does. But La Quinta does have a nice pool, which our kids might enjoy. We do arrive around noon the day before.

Haven't been to Fort Lauderdale before, but people do seem to talk about 17th area as being good. Don't know much about La Quinta but Oakwood Plaza does have some basic stuff. Good to know they have a shuttle as we won't have a car.

I mentioned Embassy and Hyatt since those two are always mentioned on here but they are very pricey in April (about $100 to $150 too much for just a pre-cruise hotel), so not on our list. I will look up Hollywood Inn Express as well.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Breakfast sounds bare minimum, but I suppose since we'll be on our way to our cruise, it isn't a huge deal. Just want something in the morning.

As for the comment above, La Quinta is cheaper than Extended Stay, except that it's further from the port and does not include transportation to the cruise terminal whereas Extended Stay does. But La Quinta does have a nice pool, which our kids might enjoy. We do arrive around noon the day before.

Haven't been to Fort Lauderdale before, but people do seem to talk about 17th area as being good. Don't know much about La Quinta but Oakwood Plaza does have some basic stuff. Good to know they have a shuttle as we won't have a car.

I mentioned Embassy and Hyatt since those two are always mentioned on here but they are very pricey in April (about $100 to $150 too much for just a pre-cruise hotel), so not on our list. I will look up Hollywood Inn Express as well.

Its Holiday inn express.

Our last time at Extended Stay they charged for the shuttle to the port.

Let us know what you decide and enjoy your cruise. :)

Its Holiday inn express.

Yes, wrote it wrong but knew what you meant. If it's the Holiday Inn Express on State Road it's very pricey at $392 CAD (or $441 refundable). A little over our budget.

Our last time at Extended Stay they charged for the shuttle to the port.

Let us know what you decide and enjoy your cruise. :)

On expedia.ca it states "Free cruise terminal shuttle "...but who knows, could be a mistake.

We're not big swimmers, but I do wonder if staying in a place without a pool is a mistake (i.e. at Extended Stay)...but people do talk about the area.

We were also looking at Comfort Suites originally but it's now sold out for our dates for a family of 4.

Your incorrect.

the extended stay is NOT next to the holiday inn express on state route 84

there is a candlewood suites in the same parking lot as the holiday inn express

I have stayed at both and both are nice. the cab fare ( I hate shuttles) to the port is less than 20.00

yes. do the candlewood. it was nice and clean. I was just there a week ago.

i will NEVER stay at another extended stay america EVER!!!! ever. the last one i stayed at was totally disgusting. it was awful and it was our only choice due to having to be at a funeral while a convention was in town. it was horrible and i am not exaggerating. i will persuade anyone within my reach to never stay at an extended stay.

Edited by gammite

Yes, wrote it wrong but knew what you meant. If it's the Holiday Inn Express on State Road it's very pricey at $392 CAD (or $441 refundable). A little over our budget.

On expedia.ca it states "Free cruise terminal shuttle "...but who knows, could be a mistake.

We're not big swimmers, but I do wonder if staying in a place without a pool is a mistake (i.e. at Extended Stay)...but people do talk about the area.

We were also looking at Comfort Suites originally but it's now sold out for our dates for a family of 4.

Look at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street. It's next door to the Extended Stay.

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/fort-lauderdale/fllcc/hoteldetail

You might want to call Extended Stay and ask them directly about the shuttle. http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/fl/fort-lauderdale/cruiseport-airport

Thanks. Sounds like I should ditch the Extended Stay option then. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Was this in Fort Lauderdale?

Well, Holliday Inn Express is $389 CAD and Candlewood is $376 CAD...both out of our budget and similar pricing to Hyatt or Embassy. Guess being on 17th with a decent hotel costs.

Thanks. Sounds like I should ditch the Extended Stay option then. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Was this in Fort Lauderdale?

Well, Holliday Inn Express is $389 CAD and Candlewood is $376 CAD...both out of our budget and similar pricing to Hyatt or Embassy. Guess being on 17th with a decent hotel costs.

What date? How many people? Agree....those prices are high. We've never paid more than $170US for Holiday Inn Express.

What date? How many people? Agree....those prices are high. We've never paid more than $170US for Holiday Inn Express.

April 9th, 2016 (Sat night) for 2 adults and 2 kids.

I suppose the current Canadian dollar isn't helping.

April 9th, 2016 (Sat night) for 2 adults and 2 kids.

I suppose the current Canadian dollar isn't helping.

Your date is during US Spring Break and might explain why rates are higher. Here's another site to check for Fort Lauderdale cruiseposrt hotels.

Good Luck!

http://www.sunny.org/cruise-and-play/hotels-with-shuttles/

no it was not in FL. but based on my experience i would never under any circumstances stay at another extended stay. i would just have to stay further away or just not go. being dead serious about this.

and i think we paid 80 bux USD for our stay at candlewood 1.5 weeks ago. got a good deal on hotel.com

Edited by gammite

Your date is during US Spring Break and might explain why rates are higher. Here's another site to check for Fort Lauderdale cruiseposrt hotels.

Good Luck!

http://www.sunny.org/cruise-and-play/hotels-with-shuttles/

Yikes, didn't realize it was spring break for some. Hopefully that won't affect us on Allure (can take it for one day in florida)

Thanks for the link.

no it was not in FL. but based on my experience i would never under any circumstances stay at another extended stay. i would just have to stay further away or just not go. being dead serious about this.

and i think we paid 80 bux USD for our stay at candlewood 1.5 weeks ago. got a good deal on hotel.com

I'm with you. If I had a bad experience with some chain, I'd never use them again in any city.