30% sale/C&A discount - insulting

bouhunter

It's been mentioned here already, but it is really pathetic how they are pricing the 30% sale when combined with a C&A balcony discount. How low can RCCL go. They are subtracting the C&A discount BEFORE calculating the 30%. End result:

Non C&A (maybe first time customer) gets a 30% discount.

C&A Diamond: They subtract your 225.00 balcony discount, THEN give you 30%. You ARE NOT getting a 225.00 discount off the current price of the cruise.... .

Pathetic. They never stop looking for ways to play pricing games.......

Edited by bouhunter

It's been mentioned here already, but it is really pathetic how they are pricing the 30% sale when combined with a C&A balcony discount. How low can RCCL go. They are subtracting the C&A discount BEFORE calculating the 30%. End result:

C&A Diamond: They subtract your 225.00 balcony discount, THEN give you 30%. You ARE NOT getting a 225.00 discount off the current price of the cruise.... .

It is a very common business practice to have dollar discounts applied prior to giving a percentage discount.

It is a very common business practice to have dollar discounts applied prior to giving a percentage discount.

Whatever, defend them if you want.:rolleyes: Never understood the mindset of a customer defending a business that's scamming them...... "very common" in what business?? What business model are you comparing this too? Not many that would be comparable to a loyalty program specific dollar discount.

Bottom line is C&A members are NOT getting their full discount (225.00 for Diamond for example) off the current published price. It's BS plain and simple.

Edited by bouhunter

Whatever, defend them if you want.:rolleyes: Never understood the mindset of a customer defending a business that's scamming them...... "very common" in what business?? What business model are you comparing this too? Not many that would be comparable to a loyalty program specific dollar discount.

Bottom line is C&A members are NOT getting their full discount (225.00 for Diamond for example) off the current published price. It's BS plain and simple.

LOL I am not defending anyone. Balcony discounts are a reward that are offered to crown and anchor members just as other businesses offer rewards for dollars spent. When you use those reward dollars, many businesses allow them to be combined with whatever percentage discount they are offering at the time. Dollars are applied first, then percentage discounts.

Call it what you want, but they are doing the same thing as many other businesses.

I noticed that too! But somehow, we still seemed to do a little better than the BOHO for the same cruise. But they were expensive cruises to start out with. Royal Caribbean is the only cruiseline I know of that offers the balcony discount.

But with Princess & HAL, they honor the stockholder's benefit even with a discount! I've never gotten a stockholders benefit on a Royal Cruise!

They want new cruisers, because they have large on board bills. Actually, when we first cruised, we had very little on board charges, because we just didn't have the extra money. And later, I got angry about them refusing me a stockholder's benefit, or some other petty discount, so we chose not to give them any more money on the actual cruise.

These days, we don't chose to spend our income on those expensive drinks. Too bad too, because cruises are the only place we drink alcohol because we're not driving.

Edited by knittinggirl

LOL I am not defending anyone. Balcony discounts are a reward that are offered to crown and anchor members just as other businesses offer rewards for dollars spent. When you use those reward dollars, many businesses allow them to be combined with whatever percentage discount they are offering at the time. Dollars are applied first, then percentage discounts.

Call it what you want, but they are doing the same thing as many other businesses.

Like I said, give me an example that is relevant, not that it would even matter because the bottom line is, they are taking away 30% of the 225.00 Diamond Discount. There is NOT a 225.00 discount for Diamond members at current pricing!!!!!! It's a joke and I'm glad you can rationalize it for them.

Edited by bouhunter

You are right...

Most other industries would make you CHOOSE which discount you wanted and leave the others. You'd get EITHER the 30% off or the $225, but not both. Hotels and car rentals come to mind.... also pizza chains. :rolleyes:

Edited by Diplomacy

i just did some calculations, and from $1,500 and $250 discount up to $3,500 and $350, the 30% off is a better value than the BOHO.

Keep in mind, that the BOHO gets you only a 25% discount, because the 50% discount only comes off one passenger.

If you're that upset, figure out how much it costs you and buy that many fewer drinks when you get onboard. Once I got really angry about the discounts, and decided no spa treatments that cruise. We didn't miss them, and 15 cruises later, still no spa treatments. But part of that may be booking an appointment, and them being late.

Edited by knittinggirl

i just did some calculations, and from $1,500 and $250 discount up to $3,500 and $350, the 30% off is a better value than the BOHO.

Keep in mind, that the BOHO gets you only a 25% discount, because the 50% discount only comes off one passenger.

The BOGOHO works better with the balcony discount, because the full balcony discount comes off Guest 1, and the 50% discount comes off Guest 2. You may still get a bit more discount with the 30% promo, but it was not as much as I expected because of what the OP mentioned.

Edited by clarea

You are right...

Most other industries would make you CHOOSE which discount you wanted and leave the others. You'd get EITHER the 30% off or the $225, but not both. Hotels and car rentals come to mind.... also pizza chains. :rolleyes:

You just don't get it.............:rolleyes: and your comparisons are irrelevant. Sure lets compare a pizza to a cruise................ Or OK hotels. I'm high tier level member at Hilton and Marriott. Neither (or any other hotel chain) offer a flat OR percentage discount to members on room rates like the 225.00 Diamond Discount. Apples to oranges?????........

Edited by bouhunter

Like I said, give me an example that is relevant, not that it would even matter because the bottom line is, they are taking away 30% of the 225.00 Diamond Discount. There is NOT a 225.00 discount for Diamond members at current pricing!!!!!! It's a joke and I'm glad you can rationalize it for them.

At Kohl's, they apply the Kohl's cash first (same as dollars off in this case), then apply the discount percentage after that on the rest of the purchase.

Really not going to bother quoting the OP as his most recent post is now an at least its fifth version.

No one is defending the cruise line, some of us just understand what they are doing. It does mean we agree with it.

I understand exactly what they are doing.:rolleyes: To the penny.

You just don't get it.............:rolleyes: and your comparisons are irrelevant. Sure lets compare a pizza to a cruise................ Or OK hotels. I'm high tier level member at Hilton and Marriott. Neither (or any other hotel chain) offer a flat OR percentage discount to members on room rates like the 225.00 Diamond Discount. Apples to oranges?????........

We can all sit here and pick at the various "unfair" practices. I am subject to MANY more of them than you are.

Am I happy about it? HELL NO. But I have a choice: Book at the price that I am ultimately quoted, or decide that the product is not worth the price.

I rant in private to my friends. Ranting on Cruise Critic will neither change Royal Caribbean's policies nor endear you to the Interwebs.

:D

I'm not sure why you are complaining, this is the way normal business is conducted. This was the approach on the last 30/30 sale and is a lot better than the BOGO sale which applies to the 2nd Pax only. Used the last sale to book Anthem (not previously applicable) and Navigator 9 nites cruises and scored some good pricing.

I give up:D;)

And yeah, go Bucks. :)

I get what you are saying and agree with you. But it is what it is and we are stuck with it. The bottom line is that the loyal to royals are getting screwed.:(

Coming from someone who lives up North in enemy territory, thanks!!:D

We're Diamond and saved $50 by switching from the BOGOHO to the 30% off sale. Our friends who are Emerald booked the same category and paid the same base price saved $80 by switching to the 30% off. Better for some than others.

I don't see the big deal. Let's say your cost is $1000 (makes the math easier) before any discounts.

$1000 - 30% = $700.

$1000 - $225 - 30% = $542.

$1000 - 30% - $225 = $475

Or make the cost $2K

$2000 - 30% = $1400

$2000 - $225 - 30% = $1242.

$2000 - 30% - $225 = $1175

You're getting that upset over <$75? You're still saving more money than those who don't get the discount. I've seen plenty of businesses who say you can only use one type of discount at a time (usually either a percentage OR $$ off, not both).

I booked during Bogo and then got the price adjusted with the 30% sale and saved $225 on a Balcony cabin (and this includes my D+ discount)....I was happy!

Yes, you got your balcony discount just like anyone who books a balcony, but that balcony discount was subtracted from your base cruise fare and then the 30% was taken off that figure. Passenger #2 gets the full 30% off their cruise fare.

And they also delete the OBC part of the offer, so you are getting essentially a minimal discount if you book a balcony:(

RCI have been raising pricing for several weeks before this 30% sale...

So, it is really not sale at all.